News Forum - Safety fears rise as key Phuket boat tour facility Chalong Pier sinks again

Thaiger

In Thailand, Chalong Pier, a key Phuket boat tour facility is under scrutiny as concerns are being raised about the potential safety hazards it poses. The main pontoon, used by tourists to board tour boats, is reportedly sinking again and is visibly covered in rust. The pontoon in question had previously gone under reparations last … …

The story Safety fears rise as key Phuket boat tour facility Chalong Pier sinks again as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What about all those Piers along the Chao Phraya River bank?.....hope this would not end up as the escalator situation in Don Mueang airport and in the shopping complex

5 hours ago, Grumpish said:

And not much more than twenty years old. It was much more fun when you had to get out to the boats by longtail.

Not really. The longtails were a nightmare for the elderly, the infirm and  the young. It was difficult to climb in and out of them, especially in choppy conditions.

And the words of the day: Cheap inferior quality products from China. Who would have figured someone would skimp on cost and details. I too am actually needing to replace items on my home that was built only 5 years ago. Same problem. Rust! 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:19 AM, Thaiger said:

and is visibly covered in rust

Still wondering, that this is news.

The two pontoons are "visible covered in rust" since a bit of starting to use it. Over 20 years ;-)

In the beginning, they had a nice paint on the surface. "a bit slippery", when wet. Also really hot, if sunny

But  it did not look like they had a anticorrosive coating below. 

The left one wasn`t that the last one, "sinking"? That was some time ago already. 

Maybe I missed the story about the right one, and it is the second time now. But 20+ years, the easiest way would be, to get new once. They made enough money with the busses, to be able to pay more as only the chalong pier manager salary!

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Not really. The longtails were a nightmare for the elderly, the infirm and  the young. It was difficult to climb in and out of them, especially in choppy conditions.

These days I would probably agree with you, having joined the ranks of the crumblies myself. It was fun back in the days though.