Rationale(s) for Western nations returning to the Moon

Shade_Wilder

I have long felt that Humanity, and more specifically Western Nations, really need to pull their proverbial thumb out and get back to inner space; eagle-eyed members will have noticed all my space-themed, space science-themed, space exploration-themed and space travel-themed posts over the last year or two.

Moreover, I have long felt that we are at a crossroads in space exploration, space tourism and space-based industrial development within our small corner of the universe, specifically the Earth and the Moon.

(Hmm... I also love the JWST and all the other missions, but they involve actions beyond out current capabilities, so let's put them aside for a bit.)

Next, it seems pretty clear to me that Space will become the new strategic landscape, and we better get off out collective asses and get there as acts of self-preservation and of self-defense. Put another way, is there anyone out there, other than @Poolie, that wants to see China hold a commanding edge in Space tech?

Finally, I have long felt that we are at a transition point whereby the focus of Earth/Moon development should be shifted from Government to the Private Sector; simply put, using the examples of Earth's Airlines and Telecommunications industries as models, the Private sector is poised to take over and run with the concept, leaving governmental efforts behind in the dust or focused solely on non-commercial areas.

There is a great article on Space.com which touches on all these points much more clearly than I can, and it is worth a read. Yes, a tad long, but if you are spending time on this site, you probably have the time to spare.

In our lifetimes, truly magical things are going to be occurring between the top edge of Earth's atmosphere and the Lunar surface, and it behooves us to understand the significance of them.

And, arguably as important, it behooves us to NOT allow the Chinese Communist Party to be the entity reaping all the benefits from it.

https://www.space.com/return-to-moon-china-space-race

image.png.1cc41155faf8b8a6038de93758d2d0a6.png

Image from S Korea Moon probe on CNN (https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/21/world/south-korea-moon-probe-photos-scn/index.html)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the 60s the Yanks looked into the Moon as a strategic base, and realised it has no advantages over satellites placed in ordinaru earth orbit.

So to go there is for mining presumably. The problem is its uneconomical, given the fuel needed for travel between the earth and the moon. And the problem of sustaining manned station up there, including repairs, let alone some self-sufficient mining colony. 

10 hours ago, Karolyn said:

In the 60s the Yanks looked into the Moon as a strategic base, and realised it has no advantages over satellites placed in ordinaru earth orbit.

So to go there is for mining presumably. The problem is its uneconomical, given the fuel needed for travel between the earth and the moon. And the problem of sustaining manned station up there, including repairs, let alone some self-sufficient mining colony. 

What an... er... oh... ahem... "remarkable" post.

The US may (or may not) have looked at the concept of a Lunar Base and/or strategically assessed the area of space around the Earth and Moon and made a strategic determination 60+ years ago. Forgive me, but have you considered that things might have changed since then?

If you were to carefully re-read (or simply read for the first time) the OP and, even better, read the recommended article from space.com, you would be in a position to make an informed judgement on the issues and a much more salient post.

I say this without malice; you don't seem very 'up' on issues of space. Respectfully, perhaps you should stick to pedophilia? That seems to be your comfort zone.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

What an... er... oh... ahem... "remarkable" post.

The US may (or may not) have looked at the concept of a Lunar Base and/or strategically assessed the area of space around the Earth and Moon and made a strategic determination 60+ years ago. Forgive me, but have you considered that things might have changed since then?

If you were to carefully re-read (or simply read for the first time) the OP and, even better, read the recommended article from space.com, you would be in a position to make an informed judgement on the issues and a much more salient post.

I say this without malice; you don't seem very 'up' on issues of space. Respectfully, perhaps you should stick to pedophilia? That seems to be your comfort zone.

The space age, as in a set of dreams, is pretty much dead for economic reasons. Whereas putting countless satellites into orbit, is very much alive, and more popular than ever.

Think of the number of satellites that are now in orbit. And think how many manned, or even unmanned, trips to the Moon there have been, since the 60s.

And bear in mind the pragmatic use of those satellites, versus the expensive puff piece, that was the Apollo mission...

Why exactly do you, yourself, think interest in space has rocketed, but interest in the Moon, has, well, waned? 

• 3 months later...

Whatever the motivation, nice job by Indian pilots recently for landing right side up whilst upside down at the Lunar South Pole.  Well done, lads!  🇮🇳 👏🏾  

Untitled1.jpg.9b2eb0f3573ec94f9b0b9f8c40d053bd.jpg