News Forum - Magazine ranks Thailand 9th best retirement spot on Earth

Thaiger

Thailand has secured its position as the world’s ninth-best retirement spot on International Living Magazine’s 2023 Annual Global Retirement Index. The index ranks countries based on their suitability for retirees, taking into account various factors including cost of living, cost of healthcare, cultural activities, and more. In the 2023 index, Thailand shares the spotlight with … …

The story Magazine ranks Thailand 9th best retirement spot on Earth as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As a long time resident  of Chiang Mai  I find it interesting that  Rachael Devlin fails to mention the fact that for the past several years Chiang Mai has garnered the dubious title of the city with the most polluted air IN THE WORLD. 

• Like 2

These rankings depend on who is paying for the article. The reality is that there will be little concrete difference between the top 5. At the end of the day, one's state of retirement will reflect the retirees; wealth, health and mental disposition. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Vigo said:

These rankings depend on who is paying for the article. The reality is that there will be little concrete difference between the top 5. At the end of the day, one's state of retirement will reflect the retirees; wealth, health and mental disposition. 

Ultimately it is where you are happy, that is the best place to retire

But I do think there measurables that separate countires

Healthcare, ease of visas, cost of living.........etc

• Like 2

Checked the source article, Thailand is the only Asian country. France and Italy are in there, Portugal #1. 

One of these lists where you get to number 5 and start questioning who made the list. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Checked the source article, Thailand is the only Asian country. France and Italy are in there, Portugal #1. 

One of these lists where you get to number 5 and start questioning who made the list. 

Panama is on the list and should be pretty high just for the fact they are one of the most accomadating countries for retirees..............

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smokey said:

As a long time resident  of Chiang Mai  I find it interesting that  Rachael Devlin fails to mention the fact that for the past several years Chiang Mai has garnered the dubious title of the city with the most polluted air IN THE WORLD. 

Yeah I could also easily mention all that in one breath if I didn’t have to go through the smoggy polluted times in CM. By the way Bangkok is also a place that has big PM’s, but for CM some years are worse or better than others. Just have to grin and bear with the soot.

• Like 1

Mexico? Thailand doesn't have drug cartel violence.

Panama?

Boring, food sucks and lots of criminals hiding from taxes 

Ecuador?

Locals not friendly to outsiders.  Too small.  Quito altitude problem.

Costa Rica?

Too many dumb Americans and Canadians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeepersPeepers said:

Mexico? Thailand doesn't have drug cartel violence.

Panama?

Boring, food sucks and lots of criminals hiding from taxes 

Ecuador?

Locals not friendly to outsiders.  Too small.  Quito altitude problem.

Costa Rica?

Too many dumb Americans and Canadians.

Panama...

I agree with you on food.....

Food in Central America and Caribbean does suck, for the most part 

But boring? 

You obviously never spent time in Casco Viejo in Panama City

One of the best areas I have been to in the world

There is no neighborhood in Thailand that comes close to Casco Viejo

And I would put Mexico over Thailand if there wasn't the violence 

But sadly there is and that can't be dismissed 

But again, if no violence there is no where in Thailand that comes close to either Tulum or Holbox Island

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There is no neighborhood in Thailand that comes close to Casco Viejo

Not specifically, but I have been to Cartagena.  Overrated.   Cobblestone streets, whoop dee doo.

In Mexico, the attitude is rude quite often and hearing "Guerrero" over and over again is muy pesado.  I've traveled all over Mexico and Thailand is much more polite, the people are more "easy going" and don't "mess with you" like they like to do in Mexico.  Also, Mexico is more expensive and dirtier with more poverty than Thailand.

4 hours ago, JeepersPeepers said:

Not specifically, but I have been to Cartagena.  Overrated.   Cobblestone streets, whoop dee doo.

In Mexico, the attitude is rude quite often and hearing "Guerrero" over and over again is muy pesado.  I've traveled all over Mexico and Thailand is much more polite, the people are more "easy going" and don't "mess with you" like they like to do in Mexico.  Also, Mexico is more expensive and dirtier with more poverty than Thailand.

I thought Cartegena was beautiful but way over run by touts bugging you

I enjoyed Medellin much better 

And I agree with your assessment of Thai people vs Mexican, well partially 

I've never felt Mexicans as being rude, just indifferent and they don't speak English as well as Thais, overall 

I have much more friendly interactions with Thais 

But as I said above

I don't think there are many places in Thailand that are as good as Tulum(although way too busy these days) or Holbox Island 

I've said it many times

Thailand does an awful job of cultivating good beach towns and beach life

They allow unfettered building 

They are absolute children and can't figure out beach concessions so they can't have nice proper beach bars/restaurants on the beach

Places in Central America and Caribbean actually seem to plan on their beach towns, limit unlimited building

So I think Central America and Caribbean have way better beach towns than Thailand 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But sadly there is and that can't be dismissed 

Give the Chine a few more years here in Thailand, they are working on it.😄

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

Give the Chine a few more years here in Thailand, they are working on it.😄

It might change IF the new government is ever allowed to take control but in recent years there has been a huge influence from China and I fear Thailand will eventually simply become a province in the same way Laos and Cambodia have.

Which will mean us foreigners will be even less welcome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Hiso would prefer we leave our money and go. A lot of other Thais realise that foreigner's help the Thais socially in many ways. Ways that the Hiso want to ignore as it doesn't help them get richer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, palooka said:

Hiso would prefer we leave our money and go. A lot of other Thais realise that foreigner's help the Thais socially in many ways. Ways that the Hiso want to ignore as it doesn't help them get richer.

The Hiso care about brown envelopes. End of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeepersPeepers said:

quite often and hearing "Guerrero" over and over again is muy pesado.

Any different to Thai politicians referring to 'falang'? One politician in particular...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

It might change IF the new government is ever allowed to take control but in recent years there has been a huge influence from China and I fear Thailand will eventually simply become a province in the same way Laos and Cambodia have.

I think it as we as a less desirable to the Chinese invaders is the overall thought the regime powers here appease and want to cater to their masters. For the average Thai, not the case.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, palooka said:

Yeah, I used Rm the term regime, but true as the many HiSo rich here think they have a connection in a family tree or actually do. CP is one instance that comes to mind for me.

• Like 1