Non Imm O Multiple Entry

G'Day,

So if I apply for a Non Imm O ME would that mean we have to leave Thailand every 3 months and when we return that will grant us another 3 months? 

Could we use that to fly back to Australia and get medications that we use? and we would also like to travel to other countries, like Vietnam so we could use that time to do this? 

Cheers

Rick

5 hours ago, RickThai said:

G'Day,

So if I apply for a Non Imm O ME would that mean we have to leave Thailand every 3 months and when we return that will grant us another 3 months? 

Could we use that to fly back to Australia and get medications that we use? and we would also like to travel to other countries, like Vietnam so we could use that time to do this? 

Cheers

Rick

As I understand Non-O visa (and personally comply), you do NOT have to leave Thailand, but must report to immigration Police every 90 days. This does not mean leaving the country and re-entering. Also, after the first physical visit, this reporting can be done online.

Your multiple entry stamps are a grey area; My passport indicates 'multiple', but I actually paid for two entries, so not sure how it goes if there is any excess. Your best bet is to talk to Immigration and make absolutely clear what you want and follow their advice - be very calm when you do so as if they take offence, you will get nowhere and nothing very quickly!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 1:45 PM, Viggen840 said:

As I understand Non-O visa (and personally comply), you do NOT have to leave Thailand, but must report to immigration Police every 90 days. This does not mean leaving the country and re-entering. Also, after the first physical visit, this reporting can be done online.

Your multiple entry stamps are a grey area; My passport indicates 'multiple', but I actually paid for two entries, so not sure how it goes if there is any excess. Your best bet is to talk to Immigration and make absolutely clear what you want and follow their advice - be very calm when you do so as if they take offence, you will get nowhere and nothing very quickly!

You are wrong. You are thinking of the visa extension.  This is the 1 year visa extension for a single entry non-o visa based on having a Thai spouse.  You do 90 day reports for this.  But for the multiple entry you must border bounce every three months and this is usually valid for 1 year+ extension 15 months.  Costs 5000 baht. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am getting a Non-O visa with ME.   My service provider says I will get 15 months out of it.  And each time I leave and enter Thailand the same date (end of 15th month) will be stamped.  So it never extends any more.

When it expires in Jan , 2025, I assume I can easily renew myself?

Curious what the process is (my service provider offers to renew for additional charges later too but wonder if I can easily do it)?

Thanks.

I am in the process of initiating my Non-O marriage visa and not using an agent, but following the online bouncing ball plus advice from the very helpful immigration police here in Phitsanulok. It seems to be quite straight forward although only for 12 months. Don't know where the 15 months comes from.

• 4 weeks later...

Can we just be clear on this:  A MENO - Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa is always a multiple entry visa. The visa allows an unlimited amount of entries within a 12 month period. Each stay can be extended by either 30 or 60 days depending on the basis for the visa's issue. If used in the right way a MENO (based on marriage) can give a total of almost 17 months stay - again depending on the basis of issue.

I know little on MENO's issued on the basis of retirement or to visit a family member other than a spouse so I base the information I am offering on a MENO obtained for the purpose of visiting a Thai spouse - usually a Thai wife. Each stay on a Meno issued to visit a spouse gives a stay of 90 days and can be extended by a further 60 days at your local Immigration Office giving a total stay of 150 days. To get 60 days your wife has to accompany you to immigration otherwise only 30 days will be granted. Individual offices may have their own requirements to obtain an extension but for this type of visa, the norm is just proof of a TM 30 report. I have heard of some offices asking for a KR2 - marriage registration with a recent confirmation from your local amphur but as I say, check. There is no requirement for 90 day reporting as going to immigration to apply for an extension is considered to be a report.

Exactly where a MENO can be obtained is dependent on where you live and that situation is changing fast. Previously  MENO's were available at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country and at some Embassies/Consulates in countries in the region - notably Savannakhet, Laos and HCMC, Vietnam. However, when an Embassy/Consulate went over to the E-Visa system only single entry Non O visas were available. That situation is a little unclear at the moment as there have been reports that some offices that have gone over to E-Visa are once again offering MENO's. One important point is that offices that have moved to E-Visa will only issue visas to people legally entitled to live in that country.

The requirements to obtain such a visa can be much less than those for other types of visa/extension but these depend on the issuing office.  It used to be that you could avoid having to have 400,000 in the bank but there are now some reports from Savannakhet that they are asking to see 400,000 in the bank - no requirement for seasoning though.

The norm may be (but check with the office you are applying to):

Copy of Passport

Copy of Spouse's ID Card

Copy of Spouse's Tabien Baan

Copy of Marriage Certificate

Copy of Marriage Registration (KR2)

Financial Evidence (depends on where you are applying to)

Additional Evidence required by some offices:

Letter from local Amphur confirming your marriage is still registered.

Letter from your wife inviting you to stay and requesting the visa be issued

(The above is not exhaustive - check with the office you intend applying to)

Some people use the above visa to live in Thailand without having to go through all the hassle associated with a 12 month extension. Technically that is abuse of the visa's intended use and is probably why Savannakhet are now asking for the 400K.

There is often some confusion regarding extending the permitted duration of stay on a Non O visa.  The period of stay on a MENO can be extended by up to 60 days on each entry as I say above but a 12 month extension of stay is entirely different to a 12 month visa.

Most foreigners who live in Thailand do so by way of a single entry Non O visa that initially gives them a 90 day stay. That stay is then extended by 12 months (anually) - subject to various requirements depending on the basis of stay and 90 day reporting. In all cases, its the length of stay that is extended not the visa, no visas can be extended.

A 12 month extension of stay and a 12 month Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa (MENO) are different beasts.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 10/23/2023 at 2:40 PM, Dezmo said:

I am getting a Non-O visa with ME.   My service provider says I will get 15 months out of it.  And each time I leave and enter Thailand the same date (end of 15th month) will be stamped.  So it never extends any more.

When it expires in Jan , 2025, I assume I can easily renew myself?

Curious what the process is (my service provider offers to renew for additional charges later too but wonder if I can easily do it)?

Thanks.

On 10/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, Dezmo said:

https://thaivisaexpert.com/non-o-visa/

"Non Immigrant O (Retirement) Visa is valid for 3 months and Extension of stay is valid for another 12 months. The total duration of stay you will get is for 15 months"

I will validate tomorrow ...

Your 'service provider' is wrong - technically. Either that or most likely your understanding of how it works is wrong.

What you are describing sounds more like a Single Entry Non O based on retirement, extended by 12 months and also obtaining a re-entry permit. With that you would be required to make 90 day reports throughout the year. With that visa, you do indeed apply for an extension of stay towards the end of the visa's validity. The extension will be for 12 months from the date of the original visa's expiry so therefore a total of 15 months. To leave and re-enter Thailand you will need to obtain a re-entry permit (either single or multiple).

However,  you state that you are applying for a Multi Entry Non O visa for the purpose of retirement. That visa will entitle you to visit Thailand as many times as you like in 1 year.  Each time you will be stamped in for 90 days which can then be extended by 30 days. If you time it correctly and enter on the day before your visa's expiry date, you will be granted a 90 day stay which when extended by 30 days will give you a total of almost16 months.

The difference between the 2 is that one requires 90 day reports, the other requires you to leave every 90 days (or 120 with extensions).

Edited by KhaoYai

On 10/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, Viggen840 said:

I am in the process of initiating my Non-O marriage visa and not using an agent, but following the online bouncing ball plus advice from the very helpful immigration police here in Phitsanulok. It seems to be quite straight forward although only for 12 months. Don't know where the 15 months comes from.

When you have exited and then re-enter Thailand on the very last day of the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa validity date, you will be once again stamped in for a 30-day Permission to stay.  Doing so you can squeeze 15 months stay out of that MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa. 

Note that when you are married to a Thai national, you also have the additional option to apply at your local Imm Office for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting you Thai spouse (costs 1.900,- THB).  So in that case you can even get 17 months of stay out of that Visa.  And in case it is inconvenient to do a border-hop every 90 days, you could apply for that 60-day extension with each entry. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, KhaoYai said:

... you state that you are applying for a Multi Entry Non O visa for the purpose of retirement. That visa will entitle you to visit Thailand as many times as you like in 1 year.  Each time you will be stamped in for 90 days which can then be extended by 30 days. If you time it correctly and enter on the day before your visa's expiry date, you will be granted a 90 day stay which when extended by 30 days will give you a total of almost16 months.

The above is incorrect.  You can ONLY apply for a 30-day extension of stay when having entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa. 

However, when you are married to a Thai national you can apply for a 60-day extension of stay at your local Imm Office for reason of visiting your spouse. 

Note that such 60-day extension of stay can be applied for irrespective of how you entered Thailand (be it VisaExempt, on a Tourist Visa, or on a Non Imm O or O-A Visa) of if you applied for your Non Imm O Visa in Thailand.  But you can only apply once for every Permission to Stay you received (so when you are on Non Imm O Visa and apply for a 1-year extension of stay and you already used your 60-day extension of stay, you cannot apply for that 60-day extension again).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 9:50 AM, KhaoYai said:

Your 'service provider' is wrong - technically. Either that or most likely your understanding of how it works is wrong.

What you are describing sounds more like a Single Entry Non O based on retirement, extended by 12 months and also obtaining a re-entry permit. With that you would be required to make 90 day reports throughout the year. With that visa, you do indeed apply for an extension of stay towards the end of the visa's validity. The extension will be for 12 months from the date of the original visa's expiry so therefore a total of 15 months. To leave and re-enter Thailand you will need to obtain a re-entry permit (either single or multiple).

However,  you state that you are applying for a Multi Entry Non O visa for the purpose of retirement. That visa will entitle you to visit Thailand as many times as you like in 1 year.  Each time you will be stamped in for 90 days which can then be extended by 30 days. If you time it correctly and enter on the day before your visa's expiry date, you will be granted a 90 day stay which when extended by 30 days will give you a total of almost16 months.

The difference between the 2 is that one requires 90 day reports, the other requires you to leave every 90 days (or 120 with extensions).

Never got an answer about renewal but what I wrote is true.

I got my ME Non O Visa in 1 day with a service provider.  ;)   It gives me 15 months (90 day then the 1 year).  I can enter and go as much as i want...and already have ... my understanding is that if I stay 90 days I need to report or when I leave and come back the 90 day clock starts again and it did on my trip to Vietnam.   When i came back from Vietnam after a few days last month the IO wrote in my passport Jan 21, 2025 which is end of my 15 month visa.