News Forum - Phuket beachfront parking row escalates into machete threat (video)

Thaiger

What seemed like an ordinary day at Naithon Beach in Phuket turned into a spactacle as a local was accused of threatening a Grab taxi driver with a machete over a disputed parking spot. The location, allegedly reserved for taxis operated by locals, saw a heated exchange that escalated rapidly. Yesterday, Sakhoo Police Station became … …

The story Phuket beachfront parking row escalates into machete threat (video) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

More and more, I am increasingly losing desire to visit scum pots like Pattya and Phuket. A taxi stand is a taxi stand. Get over it!

• Like 1

Even me back over 20 years ago at Patong beach store front side curb had a problem with a hot head moving my bike as I just used an ATM. And then next day after a problem on the beach side curb with a rented jeep I had used for the family. 

Just tell all the tourists to avoid Phuket and Pattaya. Basically nothing there except Bangla street and Soi 6. There are far more better nice places to enjoy the vacation in Thailand. 

• Angry 1

Believe it or not, Phuket still has some magical places. It's not all Bangla and Soi 6, we reserve those places for the tourists and the scammers.

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Just tell all the tourists to avoid Phuket and Pattaya. Basically nothing there except Bangla street and Soi 6. There are far more better nice places to enjoy the vacation in Thailand. 

Wrong! You are so far off base on that comment. Both have a lot of fun, and it does not involve sex or mafia. If you want me to state why for each city and location for the fun and attributes, then you don't have a clue about it.

36 minutes ago, LOS said:

Phuket still has some magical places

I love Rawai and visit as often as I can but generally I rotate between there and Ao Nang.

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Even me back over 20 years ago at Patong beach store front side curb had a problem with a hot head moving my bike as I just used an ATM. And then next day after a problem on the beach side curb with a rented jeep I had used for the family. 

Nothing has improved or changed for the better. I have not been back to Patong in about 5 years now. Not since the last rip off taxi from the airport.  The locals don't care. Always a new sucker arriving.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Nothing has improved or changed for the better. I have not been back to Patong in about 5 years now. Not since the last rip off taxi from the airport.  The locals don't care. Always a new sucker arriving.

Yeah, and in over 30 ++ years for me galavating around Thailand, seems the same as 25 years ago still in Phuket is the same evident bullying of self preservation these thugs hold on to here in thhese areas.. But this is only a little instance of negative compared to the wonderous fun stuff outside that. I do grant you that it is BS, but we can navigate around it or if confronted by it can defuse it- but they win in certain areas ad yes we have to budge unless priveledged common sense isn;t part of you modus. My last two trips- this year and last year we had zero head on face to face interactions or altercations. Yes the game of palying me, but I know better, and my niave Thai kids watched as I handled it and it was ok. I pride myslef in teaching my Thai kids. Honestly this priveledged and their BS will incase/induldge to them hitting on every one of even Thai. They don't care and do it to all. 

I am a really seasoned travel person here in the land of Watch out.

Really? The locals do care who are not in the game, but very difficult as no one wants to confront a problem from these hot self priveledged a-holes. Been here like that for ever already. (Hate to be a Grab Driver i ntheir self designated spaces). Taxi rip off from the airport? Maybe you leave yourelf open like a tourist or not educated. Me in control leading my two Thai kids, we never had any problems or rip offs. all god for Phuket. More than good. Do you speak thai? see the whole picture nd just try to avoid it. If you by acciddnt come acroos the BS, back off if you don't speak Thai and they see you as an inferior. You will never win, and honestly, it is not wotrh the effort. Just move on as it is not a huge deal or icebeaker killing your trip to there. Easy!

2 hours ago, LOS said:

Believe it or not, Phuket still has some magical places. It's not all Bangla and Soi 6, we reserve those places for the tourists and the scammers.

Phuket is great, just avoid Patong

We still head into Patong one night each visit because our favorite Italian restaurant in Thailand is there and we been going there for 18 years

But pretty much every other part of Phuket is great

We stay in Kamala and I would contend it has the best beach life in all of Thailand and the best walkable village.....

Perfect amount of local Thai food shacks, nice bars/restaurants on the beach, a beautiful beach club, great Happy Hour and live music

We stay at Dusit Thani on Bangtao sometimes and never leave the beach, it is so relaxing

Karon hasn't changed in 20 years

Rawai has all these great little streets off the main road 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Actually a designated taxi stand - or reserved in the imaginations of the local taxi mafia?

Judging from what I have read about the airport, I would venture... taxi mafia?