Wifi Calling

KhaoYai

To be able to operate my online banking with Kasikorn, I need to be able to receive One Time Passwords when I'm in the UK. I have no mobile signal in the UK and up to now have got by using Wifi Calling.

My Thai mobile is with DTAC who I've been with for many years but they have a chequered history when it comes to Wifi calling.  A few years ago, I had it on my mobile without any app downlaod and all was fine.  Then I inadvertently let my account run out of credit for some time. Although my account was still retrievable, when I added credit they needed to do something techy and for some reason I lost Wifi calling.  When I contacted them, they said I would need a new SIM card and it would work again - it didn't.  They then said I should download DTAC Call and use that. I did and everything was fine again - using that App.

I recently bought a new phone and when I went to Playstore to dowload DTAC Call, it is no longer available.  I called DTAC who told me they were phasing it out - those with it can continue but no new downloads were available.  I found an old version available for download and it sort of works but its hit and miss.  Even though notifications are turned on, my phone doesn't notify me of any messages received - I have to go look.  I suspect that the dowloaded version is buggy but without an official version, I'm a bit stuck.

I notice AIS have a service called VoWifi - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it still current? I ask that because if you look online, DTAC call is still available, its only when you try to dowload it you find its gone.  Thai companies in general, don't seem to bother updating their websites or remove sites that are no longer current.

Any other provider with a decent Wifi Calling service?

If Kasikorn would send OTP's to a UK number, I wouldn't have this problem but they won't. Besides, its handy to be able to receive Thai calls whilst I'm in the UK.

Edit: Almost forgot, if I have to change to a different network, how long does it take to port a number across in Thailand?  Do they make it difficult as they used to do in the UK?

Edited by KhaoYai