News Forum - Elderly man and young woman severely injured in Phuket accident

Thaiger

A tragic biking accident occurred yesterday on Thepkrasattri Road in Phuket, which involved an elderly man and a young woman. Seventy-three year old Anek Amnuaychokchai was eagerly boarding a songthaew when he was struck by a motorbike riding at high speed. The 25 year old woman operating the motorbike, identified as Acting Sub Lieutenant Fadiya … …

The story Elderly man and young woman severely injured in Phuket accident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The way these truck taxis pull over is mostly never in a good safe way, but then again the Sub Lt should know this already. Lots of blood in that picture, someone is not feeling so well and may be lucky to even be alive.

Looks to me like the songthaew drove from the car lane into in the extra moto lane.

And stopped there quickly. Not looking for the motos, that are driving in that lane.

I am saying for years, as long as the moto lanes are used for all and everything, parking, overtaking (not only) at traffic lights, ....,  I never use them!

This is assumingly not only the fault of the motorcycle rider

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Looks to me like the songthaew drove from the car lane into in the extra moto lane.

And stopped there quickly. Not looking for the motos, that are driving in that lane.

I am saying for years, as long as the moto lanes are used for all and everything, parking, overtaking (not only) at traffic lights, ....,  I never use them!

This is assumingly not only the fault of the motorcycle rider

Are they motorcycle lanes - or, like the pavements, assumed by the motorcycle riders to be there for their benefit? Could be a case - as I have seen more than once with the Pattaya baht buses - of overtaking on the inside while people are trying to board because that was the nearest gap that a motorcycle could get through.

Is any scooter accident a surprise in this country?

Unfortunate old man caught in between 2 careless vehicle operators would be my guess.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Are they motorcycle lanes - or, like the pavements, assumed by the motorcycle riders to be there for their benefit? Could be a case - as I have seen more than once with the Pattaya baht buses - of overtaking on the inside while people are trying to board because that was the nearest gap that a motorcycle could get through.

Overtaking on the inside is another problem, but:

Thepkrasattri Road and delivery to Thalang hospital makes it more as possible, that there was/ is a moto lane. That road is going from Phuket to the bridge, Thalang Hospital is pretty close to the Airport road, THERE are moto lanes.

The Thepkrasattri Road is almost the only one, that has REAL moto lanes, meaning aside the 2 or three car lanes another 1,5-2m lane for motos.

Just these moto lanes are stopping every time, there is a official bus stop or an u-turn, even on junctions

Meaning cars and trucks an busses are just not caring, if and who is driving there. 

Also the police in Phuket (not only there, I got told), is sometimes charging people, if they not driving on the hard shoulder. Even if that is just a 50-100cm stripe.