News Forum - Pride month marketing sparks backlash amidst ‘Rainbow Washing’ claims

Thaiger

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

See this all comes down to how do you square having womens rights and transgender rights.

Hypocritical though, to care about 'women's rights' against those of transgenders - which is properly a category of behavior, not of people - when everything you hear about trans, is itself a subset, of feminism and/or gay rights.

I mean... where do you draw the line? Lots of men over the past few decades feel male spaces were violated, they became the butt of derision. 

The other day I was actually called a TERF (which is supposed to be an insult) and TBH I agree with JK Rowling on CERTAIN kinds of women's spaces - like those associated with rape victims. And on principle ladies toilets, especially because little girls go there. But.

The safety thing is overblown, deliberately, and dont forget, the trannies aren't hated for being unmasculine. Where they are hated, it's because they are biologically male, and are half-guilty of being dangerous, until they are proven innocent.

By no means do I endorse people with penises, aka men, in women's toilets. Except perhaps in certain circumstances, such as if the transsexual is far enough along with hormone or other treatments, they could hardly go in the men's restroom.

There are also other instances unrelated to transgenderism. For instance father's changing babies, in an emergency, go into women's spaces. You don't see it nowadays, biy as, a child, I remember mums took little boys sometimes, into women's toilets, lest they get lost or run away outside. Necessity being a thing, this is something stupid to get wound up over, as some people do.

But yeah, for that reason, transgender abuses the situational privilege, when you allow a non-medical aspect to it. 

How do you provide safe spaces for women like toilets or changing rooms while you allow men who identify as women going in there? The entire thing is simply too easy for deviants to exploit. I am not saying transgender people are deviants. I am saying sexual predators are and they will use this as a method of attacking women in places where they are supposed to be safe. That cannot be allowed.

I fully agree. Transgender as a category of people is the problem. Per it's etymology, it can only refer to behaviours, not to people or their motivations. If there are no transpeiple, then the issue is situations in which gender bending behaviors, might be justified or not. 

Just remedicalise this stuff. No one hates the classic transsexual stereotype, like Hayley Cropper.

So what is the answer?

Simple really. Transgender people need to use the already available disabled toilets. I suggested this once on a Guardian article and was immediately set upon by transgender people who claimed I was labeling trans people as disabled.

You suggested nothing wrong. Despite the fuss over gender neutral spaces, disabled washrooms are always gender neutral, and rarely occupied. 

Whatever are the ethics of transition, its a temporary state where medical care places them inappropriate, for using male or female rooms. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Totally normal thing to say........................

Actually it is. Thailand is scarcely a developing country, at least not somewhere like Bangkok or Phuket. On that sense East Asians are 'honorary whites' they are held to Western standards. Blacks and even Caucasoid Arabs are not. There are assumptions about what is expected of a developed vs undeveloped nation or culture.

14 hours ago, Wackamole said:

the thread that keeps on giving.

aïe aïe aïe.

What is funny about it? People, from frustration at bullshit, have said one or two forceful, maybe even hateful statements here. But if you look who gives likes to whom, and to what was said, that is, approved of... it's just moderate opinion, underneath. Comments about using the (gender neutral) disabled toilet, to a out offence or confrontation, are plainly productive suggestions. Not bigoted ones.