News Forum - Muay Thai travel experience campaign launched by TAT

Thaiger

The ‘Amazing Muay Thai Travel Experience’ campaign has been launched in an attempt to expand Thailand’s tourism industry. This unique initiative aims to showcase the diverse ancient Thai martial arts across the four regions of the country. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) held an opening ceremony for the programme at Thanarat Hall in its … …

The story Muay Thai travel experience campaign launched by TAT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is a little stupid. Muay Thai is already a major tourism draw. And saying different regions have different styles to showcase is nonsense, sure you can specialize in certain aspects of Muay Thai like clinching or counter-fighting but the fundamentals are all the same regardless of the region where they're practiced.

They're better off running a program to educate foreigners on the legitimacy of proficiency claims. Tons of absolute trash running gyms in touristy areas claiming to be NUMBA WAN or they buy a Raja belt and claim to have been the champion of 6 weight classes in 1990.

53 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

This is a little stupid. Muay Thai is already a major tourism draw. And saying different regions have different styles to showcase is nonsense, sure you can specialize in certain aspects of Muay Thai like clinching or counter-fighting but the fundamentals are all the same regardless of the region where they're practiced.

They're better off running a program to educate foreigners on the legitimacy of proficiency claims. Tons of absolute trash running gyms in touristy areas claiming to be NUMBA WAN or they buy a Raja belt and claim to have been the champion of 6 weight classes in 1990.

I don't see anything wrong with it

Although I definitely don't know the subject like you seem to do 

But they have a budget and trying new ways to attract business

Some work, some don't

And I think the Muay Thai tourism is mostly hard-core guys coming to train

This could be geared towards people with casual interest in Muay Thai and just fitness people

As I am getting older I am looking more towards a productive type holiday 

I was just in Cabarete Dominican Republic and its famous for kite surfing

I am thinking of going back to do a week long camp

That is the kind of traveler this campaign would/could target 

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And I think the Muay Thai tourism is mostly hard-core guys coming to train

This could be geared towards people with casual interest in Muay Thai and just fitness people

The casual tourists and fitness people make up the actual majority of Muay Thai tourism from my observation. Yes there are A LOT of MMA fighters and serious Muay Thai athletes who come to Thailand for training but there are generally slightly more people there for fitness or fat loss than there are people there for fighting.

1 hour ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

The casual tourists and fitness people make up the actual majority of Muay Thai tourism from my observation. Yes there are A LOT of MMA fighters and serious Muay Thai athletes who come to Thailand for training but there are generally slightly more people there for fitness or fat loss than there are people there for fighting.

I definitely bow to you on this subject

You seem to know way more than I do

Still don't see it as a bad thing 

I don't think people fully understand places like TAT have a budget 

And often times if they don't spend that budget it gets reduced for the next years

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You seem to know way more than I do

It was the reason I first went to Thailand and three subsequent long term stays before I stopped doing Muay Thai and turned to Thai cooking. Getting punched and kicked in the face gets a little tedious after time.

1 hour ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

It was the reason I first went to Thailand and three subsequent long term stays before I stopped doing Muay Thai and turned to Thai cooking. Getting punched and kicked in the face gets a little tedious after time.

Haha

True

Take your chances with ped mak mak 5555

• Haha 1