"Begpackers" are back

Shade_Wilder

Yes, the "Begpackers" are back .

Quite an interesting article on CNN.com (link below) about the phenomena, albeit with mostly negative comments.

image.png.d9a4c5dc3e0477fe6249565ecbb69497.png

"Generally, Pratt explains, Begpackers can be divided into three categories: those who busk (playing music or performing in some way), those who sell something (such as jewelry, postcards, or a service like hair braiding), and those who simply ask for money without offering anything in return.

In turn, passers-by respond differently based on which of the groups the “begpackers” are in."

I really find myself in agreement with these categories. I love Buskers, in Asia or in my native country, as I always see them more as street-performers' rather than 'begpackers'. To a lesser degree, I am okay with the ones selling goods or services, but at the same time I am not bothered if the local cops come by and tell them to move on; I am okay with that job being reserved for the locals, Finally, the pure beggars really don't get a lot of sympathy from me; if you ain't got cash, stay home. End of.

However...

"Will Hatton, founder of budget travel advice site The Broke Backpacker, pushes back at the word “Begpacker” and the negative connotations that come with it.

“I definitely don’t approve of people sitting on the curb begging,” he explains. But when it comes to people who busk or sell things to be able to afford more travel, “you’ve got these people who hit the road, who are being brave and trying to explore a different way of living."

I think there is some truth there, and many/most of the people who ended up in Thailand/Asia have a bit of that spirit inside themselves.

The article also gets into the idea of 'Entitlement', especially by 'White Westerners', and as much as I dislike bringing race into discussions, I think there is something to that. A BWG (Big White Guy/Girl) can make a few coins Begpacking in Thailand, but I doubt that a Thai could make enough to travel in my home country.

The article ends with an interesting idea;

"Is yesterday’s street busker today’s content creator?

Rather than depend on the kindness of strangers, some travelers opt to build online followings and ask their fans to help support them financially.

“I think it kind of represents the growing arena of location-independent tourists blurring boundaries between leisure and work,” says Bernstein.

“I think there is a generational shift between valuing experience over things.”"

My head says that these Begpackers are a menace and local authorities should clear out the pure beggars while tolerating the Buskers.

My heart admires the "Let's hit the road and see what happens" spirit.

However, my indifference towards them wins out; I did my travels and now it is their turn.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/asia-begpackers-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.boredpanda.com/begpackers-tourists-travel-begging-locals-money/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Like 4

Local Buskers, especially playing music forms specific to their country, add immense value to the cultural side of a city.

Foreigners trying to cash in on it just for senseless personal gain do not.

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 7:59 PM, Smithydog said:

Local Buskers, especially playing music forms specific to their country, add immense value to the cultural side of a city.

Foreigners trying to cash in on it just for senseless personal gain do not.

I despise Buskers, unless it is a plaza or something

Who says we want to listen to their music?

Here in Vancouver all these assholes use amplifiers now

You can't hear any conversation you might be having walking by

I have been fighting with the city to get them banned

I hate any busker who thinks I want to listen to their music

I triple hate them if they use an amplifier

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there really a generational shift to favoring experiences over things?

Because as long ago as the 'materialistic' 80s, people were - despite the then-current MSM stereotypes - turning away from showy 'bigger is better' wealth expressions, to paying more for smaller inner-city properties. Willingness to rent instead of purchase, etc.

Favored items like the Walkman were miniaturised, and Japanese brands in particular, were most futuristic for this reason, as long ago as the 1980s. The items were smaller and less obviously showy, but status signalling played a part in consumer appeal, it was just more subtle than American culture would like. 

People are still signalling wealth by owning things like iPods. Some people, in fact, buy the latest versions of overpriced junk, simply for show. Like 10 year olds used to nag their parents, for the latest video games and trainers.

And don't some expensive items can be bought, confer experiences? Like vehicles and computers? I think it's a false dichotomy... 

• 3 weeks later...

Rule of life: learn to despise or ignore all things in life you can’t ( yet) get. 
want to travel ? WORK and Save. Who is teaching these fools to beg ? 
Begging, unless your kids are Starving, in all forms, is entirely Despicable. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, Marc26 said:

That's right! The hateful sound of music covering the lovely sounds of cars, bikes and many others on the streets of a big city is simply horrible!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, Marc26 said:

What a philistine!

On 10/2/2023 at 11:00 PM, Manu said:

That's right! The hateful sound of music covering the lovely sounds of cars, bikes and many others on the streets of a big city is simply horrible!

I enjoy someone singing without a huge amplifier drowning out everyone else conversations

When you walk down the street and there are idiots on every corner with huge loud amplifiers that you can't hear anyone talking to you, I object

If they want to sing without one...........go ahead

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I enjoy someone singing without a huge amplifier drowning out everyone else conversations

When you walk down the street and there are idiots on every corner with huge loud amplifiers that you can't hear anyone talking to you, I object

If they want to sing without one...........go ahead

nonsense you jut don't like them and then look round for an excuse not to.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, cowslip said:

No, I honestly hate loud amplifiers on every other corner.........I would never lie to you, I value our friendship too much!

And how is it inconceievable that loud amplifiers in a public space is a nuisance to others????

25 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I honestly hate loud amplifiers on every other corner...

Which never happens - you're just looking rond to justify your prejudices. Just chill out and let them get on with it.

2 hours ago, cowslip said:

Which never happens - you're just looking rond to justify your prejudices. Just chill out and let them get on with it.

I guess I do have prejudices

On my way to work at least 2 or 3 methheads come up to me to ask money

On the way home

Fake charities, are again, on every corner, soliciting me

There is one guy that hasn't had a shirt for 16 years 

You know, because that garners more sympathy and more money

Pretty sure he could buy a shirt in those 16 years 

And then we have the singers using huge amplifiers not caring about others walking by

So yeah, I don't like any of that 

• Cool 1

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I guess I do have prejudices

On my way to work at least 2 or 3 methheads come up to me to ask money

On the way home

Fake charities, are again, on every corner, soliciting me

There is one guy that hasn't had a shirt for 16 years 

You know, because that garners more sympathy and more money

Pretty sure he could buy a shirt in those 16 years 

And then we have the singers using huge amplifiers not caring about others walking by

So yeah, I don't like any of that 

you're doing a great job of it.

Were tey all "begpackers"??

15 hours ago, cowslip said:

you're doing a great job of it.

Were tey all "begpackers"??

They all harassing people for money instead of getting a real job..............

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

They all harassing people for money instead of getting a real job..............

Oh really - now it's the protestant wok ethic "get a job" cliche.

I suspect you aren't even against any one of them in particular, just people who are different from you?

13 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Oh really - now it's the protestant wok ethic "get a job" cliche.

I suspect you aren't even against any one of them in particular, just people who are different from you?

I've literally been telling you what I am against and you keep telling me that isn't what I am against!

I am against fake charities that harass you on the street, with little to no money going to the "supposed " charity..........is that so wild to be against?

I am against someone lying for 15+ years that they don't have shirt to gain sympathy and beg hard working people for money because they don't want to work...........is that so wild to be against?

I am against people using loud amplifiers just so they can ask for money........not caring if it is so loud for dogs or babies or for you to have a conversation when walking by..........is that so wild to be against?

You act like being against any of those is unreasonable.....

By the way, those people take away attention from the real people who need help............

My brother is mentally and physically handicapped.............he is in his 70's now but worked his whole life

He didn't go out begging people for money.........so I have little respect for able-bodied people who do

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I've literally been telling you what I am against and you keep telling me that isn't what I am against!

I am against fake charities that harass you on the street, with little to no money going to the "supposed " charity..........is that so wild to be against?

I am against someone lying for 15+ years that they don't have shirt to gain sympathy and beg hard working people for money because they don't want to work...........is that so wild to be against?

I am against people using loud amplifiers just so they can ask for money........not caring if it is so loud for dogs or babies or for you to have a conversation when walking by..........is that so wild to be against?

You act like being against any of those is unreasonable.....

By the way, those people take away attention from the real people who need help............

My brother is mentally and physically handicapped.............he is in his 70's now but worked his whole life

He didn't go out begging people for money.........so I have little respect for able-bodied people who do

You are using cynicism and prejudice to cover your ignorance.

People make up excuses like you do to cover this.

i think you fear people who live outside your little box

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, cowslip said:

You are using cynicism and prejudice to cover your ignorance.

People make up excuses like you do to cover this.

i think you fear people who live outside your little box

I am not wasting anymore of my time with your nonsense............

I told you my thoughts on it, I could give two fc*ks less what you think of it

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

I am not wasting anymore of my time with your nonsense............

I told you my thoughts on it, I could give two fc*ks less what you think of it

As your last posts prove...or not!

On 10/11/2023 at 2:57 PM, cowslip said:

As your last posts prove...or not!

Your schoolboy activist agitator argumentative garbage is beyond irritating with zero value or intellect.
Why not eff off  & pick a fight with yourself in your sad little shytehole bed sit. Don’t bother decent people.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:41 PM, cowslip said:

I really don’t like YOU that’s for sure. What sad little nobody douche character are you I wonder ?

Failed “ Sociology” student type I imagine with zero useful skills…… note that being an ahole agitating & irritating good folk is not a skill …. in case you thought it was….. now scuttle away back under your rock and be quiet as the adults are conversing.

18 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

ailed “ Sociology” student type I imagine with zero useful skills…

That sort of thinking sums up most of the blinkered thinking on this thread.

• Confused 1