News Forum - Pattaya schools drop scout uniform mandate to ease financial strain

Thaiger

In Pattaya, officials have recently instructed all educational institutions under their authority to remove the mandate for students to wear scout and girl scout uniforms. This decision is in line with similar actions taken by other institutions across the country. The announcement was made through the ‘Pattaya Direct Line’ Facebook account following a statement by … …

The story Pattaya schools drop scout uniform mandate to ease financial strain as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Gonna be some fallout from this as this is essentially first basic military training and it is also backed by? My kids hated it for the most part, but they did learn some good things like how to fry and egg and start a fire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Gonna be some fallout from this as this is essentially first basic military training and it is also backed by? My kids hated it for the most part, but they did learn some good things like how to fry and egg and start a fire.

A very well-respected person, now deceased, started this in Thailand and I believe his motives were far from what you describe.

Caution. 🙃

Did Dib Dib. 

1 hour ago, palooka said:

A very well-respected person, now deceased, started this in Thailand and I believe his motives were far from what you describe.

Caution. 🙃

Did Dib Dib. 

Yeah you are correct and it is a topic that needs to be approached carefully or maybe not discussed. There seem to be similarities is maybe a better way to put it. I had 3 kids go through it and it seemed that my youngest daughter was actually the only one who seemed to not mind it so much. It does teach some kids some things like to start fires, pitch a tent, and cook something like an egg amongst other things. I will leave it at that, and finish on the uniforms do keep every kid the same level so not sure how it will work with kids in normal school dress with only a beret or hat. But it is also correct that not all thai families can afford such extra things. 

image.jpeg.d7934b1231f89dfff598e191dd77b1bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.ecba7caca52fa69f2080ac181ce4a55e.jpeg

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah you are correct and it is a topic that needs to be approached carefully or maybe not discussed. There seem to be similarities is maybe a better way to put it. I had 3 kids go through it and it seemed that my youngest daughter was actually the only one who seemed to not mind it so much. It does teach some kids some things like to start fires, pitch a tent, and cook something like an egg amongst other things. I will leave it at that, and finish on the uniforms do keep every kid the same level so not sure how it will work with kids in normal school dress with only a beret or hat. But it is also correct that not all thai families can afford such extra things. 

image.jpeg.d7934b1231f89dfff598e191dd77b1bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.ecba7caca52fa69f2080ac181ce4a55e.jpeg

So many families struggle with just the normal uniform

Asking them to buy more is a real burden 

And as you know even better with 3 vs 1 for me, it seems there is always something extra to pay for in Thai schools 

• Like 1

In February we went to my wife's old school and donated computers and all kinds of things

The biggest thing was uniforms

My wife got the measurements of all 50 kids in the school and went and bought them all 2 uniforms each

The day we went to the school

So many of thier uniforms were in tatters 

Socks with tons of holes

Ripped shirts 

So many kids needs uniforms 

I am very opposed to the Scouts. One day the light will shine bright and  parents will ask themselves  why did they allow it. One need only look at the  problems of scouting in countries that have had their reviews to understand my point.  

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

So many families struggle with just the normal uniform

Asking them to buy more is a real burden 

And as you know even better with 3 vs 1 for me, it seems there is always something extra to pay for in Thai schools 

You would think it is a huge money maker somewhere here becasue every single student in almost all grade levels except upper level high school have to have them, but not sure who gets a cut of the pie as in is it only the retailers, or the local government by province where they are sold, or all including a slice to the Scouts as the Scouts probably should get a cut to keep it funded.

It is not just the shorts and shirts and say the hats or berets, you then you must add in all of the accessories like scarves, the clips for the scarves (that get lost), belts, socks, shoes and this is what adds up to alot. And don't forget to have the names of the student emroidered onto the shirt along with all the other sew on patches needed that there are. Now this becomes a lot, and one must also concider that the uniform will be used all year round so the parents if smart will get it a size larger so as the kid grows, they grow into it as the real size it should be at the mid to end of the year, or else have to buy twice a year as the kid grows, and then the shoes as the kids feet get bigger and so on. It is quite a funnel of cost. Throw in the field trip and activity costs as well.

Same as the school uniforms as I always had suspicions of who is making the money or is it just a clothes maker and a 7% VAT added onto it. And seems unlikely if bought at a major retail store like Tesco or Big C, but did the schools get a cut of this somehow as in is the system is that intricate that cash trinkles back to the school coffers? I do know that school do get money given them from the goverment one time per year, but never knew exactly why, but it is best not to ask too many questions. My kids Grade School and High School days are over and now it is just the costs of University. So it is all irrelevant to us now.

I think this is a grey area of conversation or can be if not worded properly, but the reality is costs on scout uniforms and school uniforms can be burden on families here.

3 hours ago, Vigo said:

I am very opposed to the Scouts. One day the light will shine bright and  parents will ask themselves  why did they allow it. One need only look at the  problems of scouting in countries that have had their reviews to understand my point.  

If you are referring to rampant S-Abuse cases as such in the USA and not sure having it in other western countries, then that is a wrong assumption on your part for here. If I am off on what you are saying then my apologies. 

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

You would think it is a huge money maker somewhere here becasue every single student in almost all grade levels except upper level high school have to have them, but not sure who gets a cut of the pie as in is it only the retailers, or the local government by province where they are sold, or all including a slice to the Scouts as the Scouts probably should get a cut to keep it funded.

It is not just the shorts and shirts and say the hats or berets, you then you must add in all of the accessories like scarves, the clips for the scarves (that get lost), belts, socks, shoes and this is what adds up to alot. And don't forget to have the names of the student emroidered onto the shirt along with all the other sew on patches needed that there are. Now this becomes a lot, and one must also concider that the uniform will be used all year round so the parents if smart will get it a size larger so as the kid grows, they grow into it as the real size it should be at the mid to end of the year, or else have to buy twice a year as the kid grows, and then the shoes as the kids feet get bigger and so on. It is quite a funnel of cost. Throw in the field trip and activity costs as well.

Same as the school uniforms as I always had suspicions of who is making the money or is it just a clothes maker and a 7% VAT added onto it. And seems unlikely if bought at a major retail store like Tesco or Big C, but did the schools get a cut of this somehow as in is the system is that intricate that cash trinkles back to the school coffers? I do know that school do get money given them from the goverment one time per year, but never knew exactly why, but it is best not to ask too many questions. My kids Grade School and High School days are over and now it is just the costs of University. So it is all irrelevant to us now.

I think this is a grey area of conversation or can be if not worded properly, but the reality is costs on scout uniforms and school uniforms can be burden on families here.

When my stepson got to Thammasat some teachers wouldn't let the kids buy textbooks and then were selling them photocopied pages for 50-100 baht

It was a big earner for them and a big expense for the kids/families

We complained about it and bunc of students and parents kept complaining and they finally stopped that

Absolutely disgusting that a teacher would take advantage of their students like that

To be quite honest 

I think my stepson got a good education at Thammasat but beyond that I haven't been that impressed with everything else there

Never knowing when tests are

Never knowing when break is

Now they don't even know when actual Graduation ceremony will be

The class before them is still waiting a year after

It's all been a bit ridiculous 

19 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

When my stepson got to Thammasat some teachers wouldn't let the kids buy textbooks and then were selling them photocopied pages for 50-100 baht

It was a big earner for them and a big expense for the kids/families

We complained about it and bunc of students and parents kept complaining and they finally stopped that

Absolutely disgusting that a teacher would take advantage of their students like that

To be quite honest 

I think my stepson got a good education at Thammasat but beyond that I haven't been that impressed with everything else there

Never knowing when tests are

Never knowing when break is

Now they don't even know when actual Graduation ceremony will be

The class before them is still waiting a year after

It's all been a bit ridiculous 

Yeah but to be a part as going there and then alumni of Thamasat is a great thing. I really don't think the regime likes the students or Universisty as typically most are anti establishment. Not sure what happneded to silver spoon Anutin at one point, but he certainly does have his disagreements with the regime now.

My son technically should have graduated but the wuhan bat virus postponed that and ruined 2 years of what should have been the best days of his life. He now has a thesis or generalised paper) to research and write over the next coming term 1 for CMU. So I take it grduation will be 2024, but that is ok as I am pushing for him to go for a masters and not be so gung ho to jump int the real world as that isn't all it is said to be starting from the get go. Enjoy life and then you will be in the real scene soon enough. The masters here will open more doors even if it is useless otherwise..

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah but to be a part as going there and then alumni of Thamasat is a great thing. I really don't think the regime likes the students or Universisty as typically most are anti establishment. Not sure what happneded to silver spoon Anutin at one point, but he certainly does have his disagreements with the regime now.

My son technically should have graduated but the wuhan bat virus postponed that and ruined 2 years of what should have been the best days of his life. He now has a thesis or generalised paper) to research and write over the next coming term 1 for CMU. So I take it grduation will be 2024, but that is ok as I am pushing for him to go for a masters and not be so gung ho to jump int the real world as that isn't all it is said to be starting from the get go. Enjoy life and then you will be in the real scene soon enough. The masters here will open more doors even if it is useless otherwise..

Yes my stepson is starting his 5th year at Thammasat as well

It wasn't so much Covid, although that messed somethings up

But another thing is they make them take so many classes per semester 

So I told him he could take less and go an extra year

So he has 5 classes this semester and an internship next then he is done 

I'm also of the belief no need to jump into work life 

I think you are still very young at 21-22 and your career really doesn't start until your 30's

My stepson likely moving to Canada after graduating

But he's also considering his Masters in Thailand 

Children should wear school uniforms for one reason to  eliminate clothes "competition"

But the items should be standard things that can be bought anywhere . Like Boys polo style shirt and khaki shorts. Girls polo shirt and shorts or simple skirt.

So now the kids without scout uniforms could be bullied. Ban them. Something paramilitary about them anyway

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

Children should wear school uniforms for one reason to  eliminate clothes "competition"

But the items should be standard things that can be bought anywhere . Like Boys polo style shirt and khaki shorts. Girls polo shirt and shorts or simple skirt.

So now the kids without scout uniforms could be bullied. Ban them. Something paramilitary about them anyway

Well the regular school uniforms can be bought anywhere as well

All kinds of shops for them as well as in the big retail shops as well 

As far as "competition " in wearing regular clothes 

I understand your point but clothes are pretty cheap in Thailand 

You can buy cute dresses for girls for 50-100baht

So I don't think you'd get a big disparity in clothing between the kids 

12 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

If you are referring to rampant S-Abuse cases as such in the USA and not sure having it in other western countries, then that is a wrong assumption on your part for here. If I am off on what you are saying then my apologies. 

Australia, New Zealand, UK all discovered a long standing deep rooted history of sexual abuse.  Asian countries have had physical and emotional bullying, e.g. hazing.  My understanding is that hazing and exploitation / humiliation of lower social status people is the problem in Thailand.

16 hours ago, Vigo said:

When I went thru "outdoor education " in high school we learned important skills

There was no grooming or sex abuse but now I know most of the instructors were lesbian experienced mountain climbers/guides. 

11 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

Public school uniform and accessories should be made cheap to cater to the general students who need them, rich or poor. Just don't understand why some schools/vendors are selling at exorbitant prices. It is really a capitalist society.