News Forum - Deadly intersection sparks ghostly fears, Thai villagers hold exorcism ceremony

Thaiger

The deadly intersection known as the ‘100-corpse intersection’ in Thailand‘s northern Phayao province has locals on edge, with frequent accidents and fatalities causing ongoing fear. Residents in the Wat Pa Lan Kam community have sought the help of monks to perform an exorcism ceremony in an attempt to ward off evil spirits associated with the … …

The story Deadly intersection sparks ghostly fears, Thai villagers hold exorcism ceremony as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

13 minutes ago, JosNT said:

I think a renovation, reconstruction or even a rebuild of the intersection to make it safer would be more appropriate. 

Agreed. Not sure if an exorcism performed by monks will be of much help.

• Like 2

What is it with Thai’s and ghosts? almost every Thai I’ve met believes that ghosts actually exist? As already mentioned a redesign would be the required action but probably cost too much money and effort!

• Like 2

I have been to Phayao several times including last year. Cannot think of where this one is but there are a few intersections that are dangersou up there. I sort of remember bamboo poles with red banners, but unless you know that is what it is for then more apt to forget. Funny, but I hope they are not spreading the sand and rice directly on the street or side of the street. That right there could be a cause for some of the accidents especially on a bike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sticky said:

Many think that ghosts exist? I think about 50%.

More than 50% of people believe in one god or another but doesn’t make any of them real, belief in supernatural phenomena is common but has never been proven scientifically in any shape or form and as science progresses the belief in such nonsense diminishes albeit gradually. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 5:58 PM, Smiler said:

More than 50% of people believe in one god or another but doesn’t make any of them real, belief in supernatural phenomena is common but has never been proven scientifically in any shape or form and as science progresses the belief in such nonsense diminishes albeit gradually. 

Make you right there Smiler. Perhaps as high as 90% in some countries.

Here in Thailand it's probably higher than that. But the average world-wide is brought down a bit by huge countries not having great beliefs.