News Forum - Phuket launches inspections to curb foreigner crime, boost reputation

Thaiger

Phuket authorities have launched a comprehensive inspection campaign targeting crimes by foreigners in an effort to boost the island’s reputation among potential visitors. The ‘white accommodation scheme for foreigners’ was announced by Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew. The scheme is being overseen by Pol. Col. Thanet Sukchai, Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, The Phuket News reported. The … …

The story Phuket launches inspections to curb foreigner crime, boost reputation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sounds like another case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Thai immigration, just like Thai authorities in general, are experts at doing this. I can't see how making foreigners feel like they're living in a police state and under constant surveillance can make anyone feel safer or that it reduces crime. Focus on actual overstayers and crack down on criminal activity, including drug running, but please leave honest, law abiding foreign tourists and residents alone.

Just reading the many negative stories about how foreigners and expats have been treated in Phuket over the years is greatly concerning. From officials coming past unannounced and demanding to take temperature measurements at people's homes during the early part of the Covid crisis (though this measure wasn't directed only at foreigners but everyone on the island), to targeting foreigners not wearing helmets while riding motorcycles, to the red and yellow card system and now this, I don't think I ever want to visit Phuket again. Bangkok and much of upcountry Thailand seem like a bastion of freedom in comparison.

4 hours ago, Highlandman said:

. I can't see how making foreigners feel like they're living in a police state and under constant surveillance can make anyone feel safer or that it reduces crime.

Just trying to make the Ruskies etc feel at home. 🤣

• Like 2