News Forum - Phuket boat crash victims offered visa extension assistance by immigration

Thaiger

In Phuket, immigration officials have extended support to foreign tourists affected by a recent tour boat crash, offering visa extension assistance. Major Tanannat Srisuwan of Phuket Immigration informed The Phuket Express that 32 foreign tourists, including 21 Russians, one Ukrainian, eight Kazakhstani, one Hong Kong national, and one Chinese national, have been receiving treatment at …

The story Phuket boat crash victims offered visa extension assistance by immigration as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Authorities finally starting to get "tourism".

They used to fine you when you left for overstaying your visa. 🙃

1 hour ago, palooka said:

They used to fine you when you left for overstaying your visa. 

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. 
They fined for overstaying your permitted length of stay.

In this case, Immigration are helping those injured and still receiving treatment to extend their stay on medical grounds, until such time they are fit to travel.

• Like 2

15 000 baht won't go far. I spent one-night in the ICU of a hospital in Bangkok a few weeks ago and the bill was 71 000 baht, even though I discharged myself within 24 hours. I was insured and the insurance paid up after the insurance company did some medical due dilligence and conducted a detailed search of medical facilities in Bangkok over a 10 year span that failed to find a previous episode of my symptoms. These marine accident victims and their affected family members if they are on the same holiday with the victims deserve more than that meager 15K offering in order to really cover their medical bills and living expenses.

43 minutes ago, Faz said:

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. 
They fined for overstaying your permitted length of stay.

In this case, Immigration are helping those injured and still receiving treatment to extend their stay on medical grounds, until such time they are fit to travel.

Do know a man who had a bike accident and they fined him for overstay, before he was allowed to board his plane home.

He came straight from the hospital on being released. He had been travelling alone, a family member arrived 2 days before to help. Broken leg doesn't allow you to pop down to immigration for an extension of your visa.

So maybe, (or this was a publicity stunt and a photo shoot) they are learning how to treat tourists under extenuating circumstances. 😃

43 minutes ago, palooka said:

Do know a man who had a bike accident and they fined him for overstay, before he was allowed to board his plane home.

He came straight from the hospital on being released. He had been travelling alone, a family member arrived 2 days before to help. Broken leg doesn't allow you to pop down to immigration for an extension of your visa.

Yes, many are fined for overstaying, when if they'd been aware of the Immigration rules or asked, they could have received help to extend their stay and avoid a fine.

Hospitals have administration staff that will deal with Immigration in the event you cannot visit yourself due to receiving medical treatment. However, you need to ask for help, or inform them of the situation.
Immigration grant 60-day extensions on medical grounds with a doctor's letter confirming you are unfit to travel.

However, I would assume being in that same position, first thoughts would be getting out of the hospital and returning home, not your Immigration status. Immigration have at least in this situation took the bull by the horns and offered assistance before it was requested as so many tourists were injured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

15 000 baht won't go far. I spent one-night in the ICU of a hospital in Bangkok a few weeks ago and the bill was 71 000 baht, even though I discharged myself within 24 hours. I was insured and the insurance paid up after the insurance company did some medical due dilligence and conducted a detailed search of medical facilities in Bangkok over a 10 year span that failed to find a previous episode of my symptoms. These marine accident victims and their affected family members if they are on the same holiday with the victims deserve more than that meager 15K offering in order to really cover their medical bills and living expenses.

I would expect the speed boat operators will be sued for outstanding medical and expense costs over and above what they were insured for.

The driver was thought to have fallen asleep as he crashed into the huge concrete pillar in the sea about 100 metres away from the shore of Chalong Bay. The boat, the Thanathip Marine 555, had travelled to Phuket from the Phi Phi islands.

And will the "driver" (captain?) loose his license? And tested on drugs?

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

The driver was thought to have fallen asleep as he crashed into the huge concrete pillar in the sea about 100 metres away from the shore of Chalong Bay. The boat, the Thanathip Marine 555, had travelled to Phuket from the Phi Phi islands.

And will the "driver" (captain?) loose his license? And tested on drugs?

More likely is that if they haven't got him locked up, he has already done a runner. 

4 hours ago, Faz said:

I would expect the speed boat operators will be sued for outstanding medical and expense costs over and above what they were insured for.

When have these operators ever paid for the full cost of their misdeeds? Most likely some patsy is fronting the tour company while Mr./Mme. Big hides behind the paper wall.