News Forum - Russian tourist injured in Bangkok snatching incident

Thaiger

A Russian woman sustained minor injuries when a thief on a motorbike snatched her bag and knocked her down in Bangkok, Thailand, on Wednesday. Yesterday, Natasia Kotawa of Russian nationality travelled to Thong Lor Police Station in Bangkok to report being a victim of a robbery on Wednesday night. At 11pm, Natasia walked to a …

The story Russian tourist injured in Bangkok snatching incident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is good that the authorities managed to catch the culprit and recover the stolen items. Now what are going to do to remove him from repeating the action again and again? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is good that the authorities managed to catch the culprit and recover the stolen items. Now what are going to do to remove him from repeating the action again and again? 

Nothing lol. He'll be back on the streets stealing in no time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Now what are going to do to remove him from repeating the action again and again? 

AFAIK, he’ll likely go to prison.

Section 336 of the Thai legal code - “If the snatching causes bodily or mental harm to another person, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of 2 to 7 years and fined of four thousand to fourteen thousand Baht” 

If it’s his first offense he will probably serve about 2 years in prison after already receiving a discount for pleading guilty. If it is not his first offense of this kind he’ll probably serve 4 years after discount. 

• Like 2

I was initially sympathetic, but I see that has the latest in decadent western products:  iPhone 14, a lilac MacBook Pro laptop, and AirPods. If she supported Putin she would have picked Russian products first.😆

In March 2022, Russia authorised retailers to import products from abroad without the trademark owner's permission. Obviously Russians are obtaining via sanction busting profiteer countries like China,  Gulf Arab India etc. That being said, good luck on trying to get factory authorized service in Russia  :)

• Like 1

I'm so happy to hear that she got all her possessions back. I hope that the thief enjoys his new "shared bedroom" in prison.

Edited by Samlee

Glad she is ok. I was surprised to hear about the modus operandi of the robbery as I can't remember hearing about a similar robbery method carried out like that in Bangkok. I have heard of incidents like that in Pattaya going back a few years. It isn't a good look for tourism if people are being robbed in the CBD of Bangkok at 11pm, which is early for this city. Maybe she will carry less valuables around at night in future just in case she gets robbed again.

6 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Glad she is ok. I was surprised to hear about the modus operandi of the robbery as I can't remember hearing about a similar robbery method carried out like that in Bangkok. I have heard of incidents like that in Pattaya going back a few years. It isn't a good look for tourism if people are being robbed in the CBD of Bangkok at 11pm, which is early for this city. Maybe she will carry less valuables around at night in future just in case she gets robbed again.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-gran-mugged-in-thailand-dies-1036055

Nothing new.. 

11 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I have not heard much of this kind of MO in Thailand either - dips and cons seem to be more the norm. Still wise to be careful though - unless I need them my phone and tablet or laptop stay in the hotel room, and my good watches stay at home.