US, NZ, Oz, Austrian citizens’ brief shot at Covid-19 vaccines

Thaiger

Good news! Several foreign governments including the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and Austria announced they would offer vaccines for their citizens currently in Thailand. But bad news – supplies ran out long before most people received any notification of the opportunity. Many countries had claimed it was impossible to assist their expats in Thailand in getting vaccines, while France and China were easily able to offer vaccines to their citizens. Now a tiny supply came and went without a chance for most to get access to vaccination. The US Embassy finally responded to angry expats who complained they pay […]

The post US, NZ, Oz, Austrian citizens’ brief shot at Covid-19 vaccines appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The American slots were filled in less than an hour, which makes me think 100 were available.  Weren't 20% of 1.5 million Pfizer jabs donated by the US supposed to go to foreigners?  My math says there should be about 299,900 jabs still waiting to go in expats' arms.  

• Like 2

Where can i find this announcement for the Austrians? On the homepage of the Austrian Embassy I cannot see anything... - but maybe i am too late...

great but there is no way am i going to bangkok to get it  its in the dark red zone and up here its yellow plus its about a 8 hour drive so no thanks but atleast their thinking about us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMdenizen said:

The American slots were filled in less than an hour, which makes me think 100 were available.  Weren't 20% of 1.5 million Pfizer jabs donated by the US supposed to go to foreigners?  My math says there should be about 299,900 jabs still waiting to go in expats' arms.  

Where did you hear that? Source, please.

Better to have done nothing, as it just shows that they can do it if they can be bothered, but they can't be bothered.

This sounds as if they were just a few doses left over that their diplomatic staff didn't need, nothing more.

• Like 2

Came and went with a quiet flutter for USA . Such a disgrace should not even be mentioned. Surely the USA can do better than that. 

Americans donate surplus vaccines to virtue signal. Thais accept, to resell at a profit thinking Americans stupid. Thais make symbolic and insulting gesture to show their generosity by giving away 0.0001% to the benefactors who actually already paid for these vaccines through their taxes. A plague on both their houses. If you'll pardon the pun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The email I got today was very sketchy !

I thought it was spam!

lol 1 day notice!

Some people had to go into the lions den to get it too!

1 hour ago, Dogone36 said:

Usa donated 300,000 Pfizer and 38 million dollars and we got 100 doses of AZ. Seems fair if not idiotic 

Once they start distributing the 20% ,guess where ya got to go to get it!Bangkok

It reminds me of foreign aid!Many people with their grubby hands in the Cookie jar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Where did you hear that? Source, please.

Thanks for the question.  https://thethaiger.com/news/national/vaccines-for-foreigners-105k-astrazeneca-150k-pfizer  It would seem that 10% of the Pfizer was to be given to foreigners from the US donation, not 20%.  I got it wrong.  Still 100 vaccines jabs tomorrow leave quite a few left to administer to foreigners.

Excuse me....   The US State Department had "NOTHING" to do with this... It was the Thai Government throwing "crumbs" to American  citizens living/working here @ 43,200+. Most of which are Vietnam War Veterans who "DON'T live in Bangkok.. Unfortunately my Government's Foreign policy is lousy.. We never seem to get a "RETURN" on our investment..   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stonker said:

Better to have done nothing, as it just shows that they can do it if they can be bothered, but they can't be bothered.

This sounds as if they were just a few doses left over that their diplomatic staff didn't need, nothing more.

My checking months ago was that the Embassy staff in all Australian Embassies were given their vaccines already, and I do believe that is the case for most countries.

What has now happened is that with other countries (China, France, etc.) making arrangements to vaccinate their citizens living overseas, countries like Australia have decided they should act too.  And of course, like Thailand, it is too little too late - Bangkok is a red zone and most people cannot go there to get vaccinated.

This is not the US government doing anything for it's citizens. Although the staff, workers, families at the Embassy were vaccinated with the first shot of Pfizer long ago and I would wager the 2nd by now. This was AstraZeneca, not Pfizer, not Moderna, not J&J. The US has not/does not furnish AZ here for it's citizens or anybody else that I have heard of. The US has not and refuses to furnish any vaccine here for it's citizens although our president honestly promised all Americans could have vaccine as did the Veterans Affairs for all US Veterans and their families. The US Embassy "spokesman" has spoken loud and clear, we don't give a damn about you, just shut up, go away or die. Same as it was when we came back from that damned illegal, immoral war in SE Asia/Vietnam. 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, CMdenizen said:

Reservations were gone in less than 30min.  I tried.

12 hours ago, AussieBob said:

My checking months ago was that the Embassy staff in all Australian Embassies were given their vaccines already, and I do believe that is the case for most countries.

What has now happened is that with other countries (China, France, etc.) making arrangements to vaccinate their citizens living overseas, countries like Australia have decided they should act too.  And of course, like Thailand, it is too little too late - Bangkok is a red zone and most people cannot go there to get vaccinated.

Yes, as far as I know all diplomatic staff were vaccinated months ago, either by their own arrangements or by Thailand.

What I'm suggesting seems possible is that these were vaccines left over from families and hangers-on rather than anything else.

It just doesn't seem credible that any country, even US or Aus, would send out 100 vaccines to be given out to the first 100 of their citizens who were nearest - or maybe the first 50 if there were only 100 doses. 

What could they hope to achieve, apart from alienating everyone who missed out?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yes, as far as I know all diplomatic staff were vaccinated months ago, either by their own arrangements or by Thailand.

What I'm suggesting seems possible is that these were vaccines left over from families and hangers-on rather than anything else.

It just doesn't seem credible that any country, even US or Aus, would send out 100 vaccines to be given out to the first 100 of their citizens who were nearest - or maybe the first 50 if there were only 100 doses. 

What could they hope to achieve, apart from alienating everyone who missed out?

Trying to analyse why public servants and politicians do things?  In my experience they often do and dont do things for the silliest and most obscure of reasons.

As they say :  The camel is a horse designed by public servants (all work in committees). It was sponsored and then approved by politicians to win the 'sandbelt' vote.