COE Process in Los Angeles Embassy

Balbahotog

Greetings, I would like to pass along the process I am going thru with the Los Angelos Consulate here in the USA.  I applied for my COE on July 3 and got pre-approval the same day.

I uploaded ALL required documents and waited and waited and waited. 

Today is Friday July 16 (my flight is on Monday July 19) I received my Rejection (see below) with no explanation of Why or What was missing. I was just told to Re-Applyand I guess start the process all over which I did today.

I wanted to come to Phuket not only to relax but to support the local economy and the people after watching many videos of the struggles they are going thru. I have money and I am retired and was even thinking of getting a retirement Visa after I arrive but I am discouraged now by the process. 
     I heard that they wanted tourist to come but they are making it very difficult at least here in my area. I tried to call the Embassy but they only have recorded messages that state you can only contact them by email. 
If you would like any more information feel free to write back. I just thought someone should know what some people are going thru to get there.

Mark Hammond
Arizona USA

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks for informing the TT-members and very sorry to hear about your troubles with this off-the-rails application process.  With only 2 days (and it's weekend with Embassy closed) before your flight I hope your re-application will still be approved in time.  

Can you insert a copy of the rejection mail you received?  It might provide some clues why your application was rejected.  But that does not change the fact that it is unacceptable to wait till very last minute to inform you of your application status.

Do wish everything turns out well for you and that we can wish you Welcome in Thailand soon.

Peter BlueSphinx

• 2 weeks later...

I have included the email I received from the LA Embassy on July 16. I had a flight booking from LA to Singapore to Phuket which I uploaded to them. I also sent them my SHABA booking from my Hotel with the QR code so I have no idea why it was rejected and I had to start all over

B779A5BD-B293-4DC9-9301-93D0BC3270FE.jpeg

The "ask Phuket sandbox from very first time" is the key. The system thinks you initially applied for something else (ASQ maybe? Dunno.) and then hit Sandbox when you were in the system a later time. As you found out communication from the Consulate can be a little thin on details. NB: By "re-apply" they wanted you to start from scratch, not amend your existing app. New forms, new uploads, new everything. Thai systems tend to be finicky and want everything done in a particular order without giving a clue as to what the correct order is.

I hope you were able to get it sorted out. Thanks for sharing the experience.

I did re-apply for August 5th and rescheduled EVERYTHING which took considerable time. I did get my COE so I am off to Phuket August 5th. Excited to finally be traveling 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balbahotog said:

I did re-apply for August 5th and rescheduled EVERYTHING which took considerable time. I did get my COE so I am off to Phuket August 5th. Excited to finally be traveling 

I hope you post your experience. There are a number of us thinking about jumping into the Sandbox over the next couple of months. What part of the island are you staying in?

Staying in Patong area for the first 14 days then make a decision where to go next. Staying at least 45 days to help support the economy as much as possible

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After my second attempt at COE I was successful and I am here in Phuket now! Even though many businesses are closed I am happy to enjoy this beautiful country and its people.

4 minutes ago, Balbahotog said:

After my second attempt at COE I was successful and I am here in Phuket now! Even though many businesses are closed I am happy to enjoy this beautiful country and its people.

Good to hear. Stay safe and enjoy and stay away from violence and covid if you can, its getting quite a reputation currently.

9 minutes ago, Balbahotog said:

Can you say how many people there are also like yourself - returning businessmen, workers or Thais. How many are 'real' tourists is what I would like to know.  

Welcome back - enjoy the show.

1 hour ago, Balbahotog said:

Nice!  Get away from the tourists areas and you'll find plenty of open places.  Patong, Kata, Karon etc. are pretty quiet.  I hear there's some places up north doing ok, and Rawai/Nai Harn is definitely providing plenty of open businesses.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, JamesE said:

The "ask Phuket sandbox from very first time" is the key. The system thinks you initially applied for something else (ASQ maybe? Dunno.) and then hit Sandbox when you were in the system a later time. As you found out communication from the Consulate can be a little thin on details. NB: By "re-apply" they wanted you to start from scratch, not amend your existing app. New forms, new uploads, new everything. Thai systems tend to be finicky and want everything done in a particular order without giving a clue as to what the correct order is.

I hope you were able to get it sorted out. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Best of luck. Be assured they are not picking you out for special treatment. The London embassy was similarly inscrutable in their dealings with me .

• Like 1