News Forum - Your ultimate guide to durian in Thailand

Thaiger

It’s that fabulous time of year again – Durian Season in Thailand! For all you durian lovers out there, isn’t it just the best? And for those who haven’t yet experienced the joy of durian, you’re in for a wild ride! This guide is here to help you kick-start your durian adventure with the most …

The story Your ultimate guide to durian in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Recently started ordering durian on TikTok, direct from the farmer and cuts out the middleman, for what can be quite a pricey fruit.

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Recently started ordering durian on TikTok, direct from the farmer and cuts out the middleman, for what can be quite a pricey fruit.

During Covid my wife and her brother were driving down to Rayong area and buying 100's and 100's of kilos from the farm and driving them back to Samut Prakan

I think it was 700 kilos a load and she was making 5-6k baht profit/day

It is crazy how much Thais will spend for Durian

40 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

During Covid my wife and her brother were driving down to Rayong area and buying 100's and 100's of kilos from the farm and driving them back to Samut Prakan

I think it was 700 kilos a load and she was making 5-6k baht profit/day

It is crazy how much Thais will spend for Durian

Yep. Agreed. When we lived in Nonthaburi we regularly spent more than our rent on durian per month. 

I love it, as does everyone in the family. 

If really wanted to enjoy the taste of durian, then the fruit has to be left ripe on the tree and let it fall naturally. It cannot be plugged when not fully ripe and let it ripe after that. The texture and tastes will not be original. In Thailand all the durians are plugged and was left to ripe. However if you go to certain hill regions where the durians are collected as they fall once fully ripe, the price is very expensive and such fruits will not come to the open market. These are always bought by the elites for high prices. 

Durian this year is mediocre at best. Not impressed and have already had it 4 times.  Some years are way better than others. It was about 4 or so years ago when it was outstanding delicious. Year before that was also really good. Weather plays a role is my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Durian this year is mediocre at best. Not impressed and have already had it 4 times.  Some years are way better than others. It was about 4 or so years ago when it was outstanding delicious. Year before that was also really good. Weather plays a role is my thoughts. 

Well...it depends on what grade of fruit you are tasting. There are many grades in them which are genetically modified for quantity as such the quality might not be there. Also depends on in which region it is cultivated. The taste and texture will not be there if its tip is split open before consuming. That is the reason in Thailand they are plugging it from the tree when it is not fully ripe. So the original taste will not be there. However if it is allowed to fully ripe and fall naturally, then the original taste will be there. Again while falling if it splits at the tip, then it the taste is gone. In Malaysia people will not buy durian fruits when the tip is split open and it will be sold at the cheapest price irrespective of the grade. Here they will not plug from the tree. Instead they will wait for it to fall naturally once fully ripe. 

59 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Well...it depends on what grade of fruit you are tasting. There are many grades in them which are genetically modified for quantity as such the quality might not be there. Also depends on in which region it is cultivated. The taste and texture will not be there if its tip is split open before consuming. That is the reason in Thailand they are plugging it from the tree when it is not fully ripe. So the original taste will not be there. However if it is allowed to fully ripe and fall naturally, then the original taste will be there. Again while falling if it splits at the tip, then it the taste is gone. In Malaysia people will not buy durian fruits when the tip is split open and it will be sold at the cheapest price irrespective of the grade. Here they will not plug from the tree. Instead they will wait for it to fall naturally once fully ripe. 

In Malaysia they have nets under the trees. We generally buy off of trucks here and normally from Chantaburi as #1 and Rayong sometimes. Mong Thong is what is mopstly offered but we have noticed it varies and sometimes we do get otehr types that are fantastic. this year her in Thailand once again is a mediocre for taste year. All of your durian are whole and we open at home. You are correct in that some do premature harvest the durian and this detracts greatly. Many time it is har and you cannot eat it right away and have to wait. 

We are well versed about durian taste and quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Had quite a bit of durian this year and it's been great. 

Durian is great every year, it's only supply that determines the price. 

The actual fruit doesn't change from year to year. 

Can only presume that you've been buying fruit not fully ripe, eating them too soon etc 

23 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Had quite a bit of durian this year and it's been great. 

Durian is great every year, it's only supply that determines the price. 

The actual fruit doesn't change from year to year. 

Can only presume that you've been buying fruit not fully ripe, eating them too soon etc 

Depends on how you are buying it, and yes their are different grades, but this will not have so much of a huge difference. If you buy it already in the package then you will have ripe everytime because you can look and feel. I understand hard, semi ripe to fully ripe, and no, this is not what I am referring to. It is the weather that effects the taste, and we eat durian every year sometimes going crazy for the yummy years to not so much on the years like this year. We know durian.

If you look it up, weathger has an effect. Dry, wet, humidity, hot, cold will have an effect on the texture and sugar etc. Now we are pretty much into lychee now, and again weather majorly that of rain has an effect on this fruit. We used to live up north from the ciy of CM in fruit territory. My wife is a fruit freak, and her opinon on fruits is such the same as mine.

Wonderful durian is soft and creamy like a custard, but although taste attributes do vary the must is thye must be sweet-ish and creamy. You seem like an durian lover, but we are also. Been part of our yearly ritual for a few decades, that is as long as I have been with my wife now.