Pro-democracy leaders indicted over last year’s protest at Bangkok’s Victory Monument

Thaiger

14 pro-democracy protesters have been indicted for charges relating to a protest at Bangkok’s Victory Monument last year when emergency orders were in place. In a series of youth-led rallies, activists demanded the government and monarchy reform, making statements considered unprecedented and taboo in Thai society. The 14 protesters were charged with inciting the public, gathering to cause unrest and violating the Emergency Decree. During the indictment yesterday, more than 40 officers were dispatched to the Office of the Attorney General to monitor the situation. The activists paid 35,000 baht for bail and were supported by a professor from Thammasat […]

The post Pro-democracy leaders indicted over last year’s protest at Bangkok’s Victory Monument appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

14 pro-democracy protesters have been indicted for charges relating to a protest at Bangkok’s Victory Monument last year when emergency orders were in place. In a series of youth-led rallies, activists demanded the government and monarchy reform, making statements considered unprecedented and taboo in Thai society. The 14 protesters were charged with inciting the public, gathering to cause unrest and violating the Emergency Decree. During the indictment yesterday, more than 40 officers were dispatched to the Office of the Attorney General to monitor the situation. The activists paid 35,000 baht for bail and were supported by a professor from Thammasat […]

The post Pro-democracy leaders indicted over last year’s protest at Bangkok’s Victory Monument appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well it does suggest that desperate times need desperate measure by desperate people does it not ?

Fortunately this is the beginning of the end for this moronic military sort-of-government. Nothing will stop

young  brave Thais on their way to a decent, democratic and bright future. God bless them all !!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nipral said:

Fortunately this is the beginning of the end for this moronic military sort-of-government. Nothing will stop

young  brave Thais on their way to a decent, democratic and bright future. God bless them all !!!

God bless them all, but I think they are on their way to jail again.  The current government is here to stay and will be very hard to remove unless the constitution can be amended and the 250 appointed senators removed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gummy said:

Well it does suggest that desperate times need desperate measure by desperate people does it not ?

How profound. How about a big boy answer huh?

I am right across the street from where this shit is happening.

Thank god these children and an older professor are back home with their families.

The government has decided to proceed with a moderate approach .

I believe things will be resolved amicably

This is the Thai way.

Edited by JTCarius

2 hours ago, JTCarius said:

Thank god these children and an older professor are back home with their families.

This is the Thai way.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JTCarius said:

This is the Thai way.

Draconian oppression, 112, banning oncoming demos, having opponents snatched off the street and murdered (allegedly), banning political opposition parties on trivial charges, banning it's leader and threatening him with 112, water canon etc is 'amicable' ?

What a pathetic situation, the cretins are determined to hang on to power no matter what.

Every time somebody tries to oppose them they resort to any twisted ruse they can.

Sad situation for the people of Thailand.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bushav8r said:

God bless them all, but I think they are on their way to jail again.  The current government is here to stay and will be very hard to remove unless the constitution can be amended and the 250 appointed senators removed.

They will be harder to remove than one of those 'Alabama Ticks' mentioned in the Predator movie.

But it is possible - firstly the protesters need to get much smarter and stop protesting about the Royals and only protest against the Junta Government. One is legal within reason, and the other is illegal for any reason. Only through Governmental change can things in Thailand be changed - not through protests because that always degenerates into a fight between pro and anti Royals, which the military takes advantage of fully.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gummy said:

That one can be read 2 ways. I will read it the way for the people and the need to rise up further.

8 hours ago, thai3 said:

Draconian oppression, 112, banning oncoming demos, having opponents snatched off the street and murdered (allegedly), banning political opposition parties on trivial charges, banning it's leader and threatening him with 112, water canon etc is 'amicable' ?

Hi. I am aware of these things.

I did say "...resolved amicably." Maybe a little too much Chang and wishful thought
 clouding my judgment.

Last night I spoke to an officer of the Criminal Court (next door to the Office of the Attorney General). She said it was hard to say whether the courts will be lenient or not. Most of the 14 protestors will likely receive a fine and some form of probation or house arrest.