News Forum - Hungarian diver summoned by police for touching pipefish in Thailand

Thaiger

A Hungarian diver was summoned to the police station in Koh Pha Ngan in Surat Thani province in southern Thailand yesterday for allegedly touching a pipefish. Police say he was formerly charged with touching protected marine life once before in 2020. In a video entitled “Scuba diving in the paradise, Koh Phangan” on the YouTube …

The story Hungarian diver summoned by police for touching pipefish in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Pipefish are not harmed by being touched, unless there is some harmful lotion or contaminant on the skin. Indeed pipe fish approach larger animals to forage parasites, so one easily imagines the pipe fish approached the human. Though I can't see the species in the still image, to say if this was the case.

Pipefish are the group of fish, by the way, to which seahorses and seadragons belong. There are a number of marine, brackish, and freshwater species, popular in the aquarium trade. Even as a child I had freshwater pipefishes from Africa, and years later as I got into reef keeping, I acquired flagtail and crocodile pipefishes. Yes they do feed from human fingers, they aren't harmed by humans touching them

• Like 1

Pedantic Thai ways strike again, as usual overdone in the wrong area.

Serious criminals are allowed to roam "until charged".

Corrupt officialdom does not have their employment terminated, just transferred to do it again.

The list is endless.

• Like 1