News Forum - Unhinged Bangkok taxi driver threatens to murder passenger

Thaiger

A Thai woman took to social media to reveal that a seemingly unhinged taxi driver in Bangkok threatened to murder her because her destination was too far. The woman posted a video on her TikTok account, @toeyly.n, to recount her frightening experience with a taxi driver who threatened to kill her. The video caption said… …

The story Unhinged Bangkok taxi driver threatens to murder passenger as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In 25 years of coming to Thailand 20 years living here I have only had about 3 problems with taxis drivers that  were sorted amicably, no violence or threats of violence . I get in taxi and tell them where I want to go ,I not ask from outside because gives them more chance to refuse . If they not want open meter I give them stop , usually nearer my destination than before, I understand how frustrating driving can be in bbk , and NO music allowed in taxi if I’m paying

Just avoid taxi and take public transport. May be it is a bit frustrating, but it is would be a safe and sound journey. 

42 minutes ago, Onthedimside said:

In 25 years of coming to Thailand 20 years living here I have only had about 3 problems with taxis drivers that  were sorted amicably, no violence or threats of violence . I get in taxi and tell them where I want to go ,I not ask from outside because gives them more chance to refuse . If they not want open meter I give them stop , usually nearer my destination than before, I understand how frustrating driving can be in bbk , and NO music allowed in taxi if I’m paying

That's all very nice but many foreigners living in Bkk have had numerous problems and scary encounters with taxi drivers. I live in a wheel chair and take a taxi 3 km to work, 6 days a week for many many years. No taxi driver has ever helped me get into or get out of his cab at both ends of the journey.  Hundreds of times pedestrians have quickly come to help, many times abusing the driver for not helping in any way. Drivers don't care. 

I changed to GRAB but now they don't seem to be very friendly. Two months back I changed to BOLT, excellent friendly polite service and quite inexpensive. 

Edited by Endeavour
  • Like 2

I have actually been attacked by a taxi driver and have a nice scar on the back of my head from a blade that he used resulting in 11 stitches. The traffic was horrendous so he decided he didn’t want to take me all the way home we got in an argument and before I knew it there was three taxi drivers coming at me.
   On the other hand I lost my phone coming home recently and realised it had slipped out of my pocket while I was in the taxi I tried ringing the number the driver answered and returned my phone to me a couple of hours later and was such a nice guy. 

3 hours ago, Endeavour said:

That's all very nice but many foreigners living in Bkk have had numerous problems and scary encounters with taxi drivers. I live in a wheel chair and take a taxi 3 km to work, 6 days a week for many many years. No taxi driver has ever helped me get into or get out of his cab at both ends of the journey.  Hundreds of times pedestrians have quickly come to help, many times abusing the driver for not helping in any way. Drivers don't care. 

I changed to GRAB but now they don't seem to be very friendly. Two months back I changed to BOLT, excellent friendly polite service and quite inexpensive. 

Don’t get me wrong , I don’t think taxi drivers here are all good , I know a few who has had bad experiences with them , like most Thais they are only concerned about themselves, I just been lucky or not in the wrong place at wrong time 

9 hours ago, Endeavour said:

You have never found a regular taxi driver to take you?

I ask because my BIL's drive MB taxi in Samut Prakan and I would say over 50% of their money comes from regular passengers that they have scheduled times to pick them up and drive them to work

Oh and if a foreigner living in BKK for a long time has had numerous problems with taxis, I tend to think it might be them

I have been coming to BKK for 20 years and maybe had 1 small argument

I have had drivers refuse to turn on meter and I say ok, and usually the next one agrees