News Forum - Girlfriend of Australian tourist found dead in Thai police custody suspects foul play

Thaiger

UPDATE The girlfriend of the Australian man who was found dead inside the detention room at a police station in Phuket, southern Thailand, on Monday says her boyfriend was “not suicidal” and had every intention of returning to his family. Police arrested 31 year old Matthew Michael Winder for being drunk and disorderly at around …

The story Girlfriend of Australian tourist found dead in Thai police custody suspects foul play as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sorry for the daughter and her, but how on earth and why anyone thinks they look good with face tatoos to me always suggests there is a screw loose. Otherwise he was a handsome guy. Another question is why is he travelling to a promiscuous country by himself without his GF and daughter? No way i will believe he wasn't being a player. It could just be that he did take something that drove him over the edge, or he was someone they simply did not like from his attitude. 

• Like 3

To be fair, it's true that everything about him screams exemplary husband and dad. Clearly Thai police did him because you know, reasons.

I agree with Holy Cow. His choice of face tattoo indicates all is not well in his head. Recreational drugs and steroids usually follow. No idea why his girlfriend was so attracted to him. Despite this, there is no way someone goes into a police cell and comes up with the idea of hanging themselves using an obscure part of their clothing. 

• Like 1

OK, stupid question I know, it is Thailand - but in the custody suites that I have been in (on the right side of the law, IT support) everything that they might be able to harm themselves with is taken off them even if they are just being put in a cell to sober up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

OK, stupid question I know, it is Thailand - but in the custody suites that I have been in (on the right side of the law, IT support) everything that they might be able to harm themselves with is taken off them even if they are just being put in a cell to sober up.

Yep that has been my experience (again on the right side of the law:)) and drunks particularly are also monitored on a regular basis as they are deemed vulnerable to choking in their sleep etc. This story has a smell emanating from it! Also a Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent  attending for a case of drunk and disorderly? Really!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cg66 said:

I agree with Holy Cow. His choice of face tattoo indicates all is not well in his head. Recreational drugs and steroids usually follow. No idea why his girlfriend was so attracted to him. Despite this, there is no way someone goes into a police cell and comes up with the idea of hanging themselves using an obscure part of their clothing. 

My wife has two face tattoos. One above each eye, in the shape of an eyebrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i personally think holy cows and khunmarks comments are really silly as F .....

maybe they are still living in world of dinosaurs where people are judged by their choice of tattoos

maybe they completely didnt get the time right and dont know that in the modern world there are people with face tattos who earn what both of them together earn in a lifetime ....every month ,

and are intelligent and verz successfull and all of this cannot be connected to tattoos

o agree with this poor fellows GF ...........200 % foulplay

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry for the daughter and her, but how on earth and why anyone thinks they look good with face tatoos to me always suggests there is a screw loose. Otherwise he was a handsome guy. Another question is why is he travelling to a promiscuous country by himself without his GF and daughter? No way i will believe he wasn't being a player. It could just be that he did take something that drove him over the edge, or he was someone they simply did not like from his attitude. 

Tons of assumptions there HC

10 hours ago, Fanta said:

Blood tests will be interesting albeit non conclusive. 

Could be, that he was on something. and that was just "running out" in detention?

But: What in hell is in a detention cell/room, that you can hang yourself with?

And was it from the ceiling or at the wall, from the bars.

Patong Police station is one of the bigger ones. Foul Play like this this, if it was, should find a way into public.

53 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Tons of assumptions there HC

Opinion with an either or assumption floating both ways. Who knows what really happened. Land of foul play here is yes. Land of some getting and crossing over the mind bent line and diced is also a yes. Wait and see. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Opinion with an either or assumption floating both ways. Who knows what really happened. Land of foul play here is yes. Land of some getting and crossing over the mind bent line and diced is also a yes. Wait and see. 

But you made assumptions about his tattoos

Assumptions about his trip to Thailand

As others have pointed out, people with Tattoos can be successful people, especially younger people

About his trip

You live in Thailand and don't go back home much

But so many ignorant people make assumptions about my trips to Thailand now, even after being with  my Thai wife for almost 20 years

Now I wouldn't bet against your assumptions being true, they may be

But they are just assumptions

I made my own when talking about "low class European" in another thread

I still believe my assumptions, based more off their actions...........but they are just assumptions

• Haha 1

Having a facial tattoo is not indicative of one's Mental Health.

Please contain any wild speculation about the man's cause of death.

21 hours ago, Wackamole said:

To be fair, it's true that everything about him screams exemplary husband and dad. 

Shouldn't it be "Boyfriend" instead.

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But you made assumptions about his tattoos

Assumptions about his trip to Thailand

As others have pointed out, people with Tattoos can be successful people, especially younger people

About his trip

You live in Thailand and don't go back home much

But so many ignorant people make assumptions about my trips to Thailand now, even after being with  my Thai wife for almost 20 years

Now I wouldn't bet against your assumptions being true, they may be

But they are just assumptions

I made my own when talking about "low class European" in another thread

I still believe my assumptions, based more off their actions...........but they are just assumptions

Tattoos on more than 50% of the face and head? Have you referred to his picture? I doubt he’d have been applying for Mensa any time soon.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2023 at 10:57 AM, Khunmark said:

My wife has two face tattoos. One above each eye, in the shape of an eyebrow.

A friend of mine got drunk in the navy and has an eye tattooed on each buttock. Face is a different matter. 

28 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

Tattoos on more than 50% of the face and head? Have you referred to his picture? I doubt he’d have been applying for Mensa any time soon.

Yeah he looked more trendy/hipterish than any sort of dangerous guy

But again, that is just an assumption

I personally wouldn't do it but each to own

• Haha 1