News Forum - Two booze ban days coming up in Thailand

Thaiger

In case drunkenness influences voters to tick the wrong box in Thailand‘s upcoming elections, alcohol sales will be banned nationwide for two Saturdays next month – early voting day and Election Day. No alcohol may be sold from 6pm on May 6 until 6pm on May 7, as well as from 6pm on May 13 …

The story Two booze ban days coming up in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So ridiculous. Banning alcohol for 2 weekends straight because they don't trust people to have self control. Depriving people of having fun on their day off and depriving businesses from revenue.

" Depriving people of having fun on their day off"

I believe it is possible to have fun without alcohol.

Most Thais who want to enjoy alcohol on these days will simply have bought it the day before anyway (and of curse many places will serve it discretely too if you know where to go) so the law is a bit pointless as it will mainly affect tourists on their first visit to Thailand who will no doubt find it all a bit confusing.

1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

I believe it is possible to have fun without alcohol.

Yeah and I believe I can fly as well, but only when it is out of my drinking schedule. I only drink on a couple of certain days of the week to keep myself in check and my wife and kids happy, so if this is on one of those days then I will just prepare and do my norm at home like every thia I know as well. I don't think Thai mom and pop shops will resepect this closed uless the RIP visit every shop as they have been seen to do before to scare everyone not to do.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah and I believe I can fly as well, but only when it is out of my drinking schedule. I only drink on a couple of certain days of the week to keep myself in check and my wife and kids happy, so if this is on one of those days then I will just prepare and do my norm at home like every thia I know as well. I don't think Thai mom and pop shops will resepect this closed uless the RIP visit every shop as they have been seen to do before to scare everyone not to do.

One of my 1st visits to Thailand I went to a bowling alley with 2 girls and they were serving beers under the tables on a alcohol ban day

And 20 years in and I have never had even the slightest problem getting booze those days

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

One of my 1st visits to Thailand I went to a bowling alley with 2 girls and they were serving beers under the tables on a alcohol ban day

And 20 years in and I have never had even the slightest problem getting booze those days

I have had my share of experiences for over 39yrs. 22 years ago the Thaksin Tin Soldiers marched on Patpong. I normaly drank at the Tavern. #1 with expats at Patpong. Old school.

16 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I have had my share of experiences for over 39yrs. 22 years ago the Thaksin Tin Soldiers marched on Patpong. I normaly drank at the Tavern. #1 with expats at Patpong. Old school.

My wife and I used to go to Madrid Bar once in a while

One of the oldest bars in Patpong

Pretty good pizza

Loved the booths

https://www.google.com/search?q=madrid+bar+patpong&rlz=1C1GCEJ_enCA874CA874&sxsrf=APwXEdf68lbaA5ximlkp_TPMNSWOSL7e4g:1682614621376&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin47P2w8r-AhWKIzQIHWtYCl4Q_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1920&bih=1097&dpr=1

Well... it looks like I will have to start my birthday party on May 14 at 6pm then. Hopefully then it will also be the time for another type of celebration with my Thai friends....