News Forum - Festival turns fatal: Covid surges post-Songkran

Thaiger

A sharp increase in Covid inpatients and related fatalities was reported in the week following the Songkran festival, with numbers soaring by 150% compared to the previous week, according to the Department of Disease Control. Between April 16 and 22, the number of Covid inpatients surged to 1,088, a stark increase from the 435 patients …

The story Festival turns fatal: Covid surges post-Songkran as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is incredibly bizarre. Covid doesn't really affect the lower lungs any more and most people have had it already so have good natural immunity. I wonder what is actually happening here? 🤔 

Hardly surprising with large crowds gathering together nationwide that the infection figures would go up, surely this was not unexpected?

17 hours ago, AliceBluebell said:

This is incredibly bizarre. Covid doesn't really affect the lower lungs any more and most people have had it already so have good natural immunity. I wonder what is actually happening here? 🤔 

How many of those recently dead have had a recent booster?

• Like 1

Good ole Mitch is wearing a mask outdoors in his profile picture. That's all you need to know.

I just got back from Thailand. My wife said people are getting sick (not covid).  I said people always get sick... it's just part of our immune system response. It seems like Thais want zero risk.

But hey... keep riding those motor bikes without helmets.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuckyStrike said:

Good ole Mitch is wearing a mask outdoors in his profile picture. That's all you need to know.

I just got back from Thailand. My wife said people are getting sick (not covid).  I said people always get sick... it's just part of our immune system response. It seems like Thais want zero risk.

It really is amazing to me grown adults care what other people want to do with their own body

But I do agree with you

People always get sick after Songkran, usually dirty water, lots of drinking, in crowds

Nothing to do with covid

But even if there is a covid spike............that will happen

Nothing to freak out about

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LuckyStrike said:

without helmets...but with a mask on. Yes, still quite a few around where I am (the opposite of a crowded place), more since Songhran (well done media). It is really funny to watch (when there is not a kid as well on the bike without an helmet but with a mask on or not). Just as funny as the good ole Mitch and his profile picture.

• Like 1