News Forum - Heat and drought expected to impact Thailand

Thaiger

Heat and drought are expected to impact Thailand soon. The end of the summer season is predicted to arrive by the middle of month, but Thailand is expected to face the harsh impact of the El Niño phenomenon around the middle of June. This will lead to severe drought conditions, according to the Meteorological Department …

The story Heat and drought expected to impact Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Unfortunately, this is not a surprise and in line with the expected climate change impacts predicted by the IPCC.

The only solution to absorb a part of it is to increase the natural surfaces (trees, plants, etc...) and reduce the construction surfaces (building, roads, etc...)

Obviously, this is not the path chosen here.

We can only expect worst conditions to come, with dramatic impacts

• Like 1

what about hosepipe bans, this drought clearly isnt affecting cities as everyone is watering plants every day with hoses all over the place. We have droughts every summer in my country, and thats with year round rain. Every year its the same thing here where is the rain? and then a few months later the reservoirs  are getting to high, I really cant like this article to seriously based on seeing what happens every year here. The article says to be expected, if it doesn't rain in 2 weeks to a month then its a big problem

Edited by jobapps

That some serious temperature. It better turn around and go into sone sort of rainy season for at least when rice planting is scheduled.

Already been predicted the current world rice shortages due to unseasonal weather, so expect your rice costs to skyrocket also. 

Chinas crop failed, Indias crop failed, so you can guarantee the Thai govt has sold all the Thai crop, which they monopolise, already.  (Bugga the population there is money to be made here.)

Thailand is a net importer of rice I'm told.  🥴

Start buying a few 15 kgs bag like yesterday. 🙃

Predicted relief next year. 🙂

7 hours ago, palooka said:

Already been predicted the current world rice shortages due to unseasonal weather, so expect your rice costs to skyrocket also. 

Chinas crop failed, Indias crop failed, so you can guarantee the Thai govt has sold all the Thai crop, which they monopolise, already.  (Bugga the population there is money to be made here.)

54C in Bangkok Bangna district reported today. It is heavily paved and with few green spaces.  That is a killer temperature.

The rice shortfalls are not necessarily a bad thing. Rice production is expected to recover next year. meanwhile old inventories can be cleared out. Meanwhile economic powerhouses  USA and Canada will be reporting normal grain and pulse yields with a surge in excess inventories because of increased supply on the world market. One thing that is becoming evident  is that the future is in the Americas, where food yields are steady, there is a diversity of food, and a plentiful supply of natural resources.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, palooka said:

Growing crops will be more of a challenge as the weather gets warmer and rain patterns change around the globe.  Might want to ask whoever told you 🥴 what their source is that Thailand is a net importer of rice. Says here Thailand is #2 global exporter of rice for 2022/2023 an article dated Feb 2023 https://www.statista.com/statistics/255947/top-rice-exporting-countries-worldwide-2011/

My wife’s family lives up north in Phayao and we travel back & forth from there and Bangkok and the rice fields all around there have been planted already  & growing strong for the past month and some for two months.  The irrigation canals for the fields seem to be flowing well by this “uneducated farang” seeing that it looks about the same from past years while riding my bike along the small road along the canal.  During the past couple of rainy seasons the canal has flooded over the road with the water levels usually getting very high on some sections of the road. With El Nino this year it might be different?  China suffered a severe drought the past year where even the great Yangtze River dried up in August into small pools of water due to lack of normal rain causing crop shortages.  I think maybe Thailand received most of China’s rain last year as there was a lot of flooding around the kingdom then.

• Like 1