News Forum - Bangkok taxi driver condemned for ripping off foreign tourists

Thaiger

Thai netizens condemned a Bangkok taxi driver for ripping off two foreign tourists. The driver was caught on a viral video charging the tourists 700 baht for about a 7 kilometre trip which was considered almost seven times more expensive than the standard fare. On Saturday, April 15, the Facebook page called Let Me Know …

The story Bangkok taxi driver condemned for ripping off foreign tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No surprise with this story it’s about time the government stepped in and took action against these rogue taxi drivers they are a law unto themselves, of course we know nothing will be done but for visitors to Thailand it gives an awful image. Yes there are good taxi drivers out there but unfortunately they are a minority and I feel the situation is getting worse.

• Like 1

Easy enough, dodgy taxi driver? Say no, find a good one. Trouble is, there’s an endless stream of first-timers who willingly (unknowingly) let themselves be fleeced.

• Like 2

I wonder why some tourists are very stubborn to understand the real situation in Thailand when comes to the taxi ride. Just take public transport or tell the taxi operator to use meter. if he refuses to use the meter, just don't hire the taxi. It is the fault of the tourists who allow them to be ripped off. And once gets ripped they become cry baby. 

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

No surprise with this story it’s about time the government stepped in and took action against these rogue taxi drivers they are a law unto themselves, of course we know nothing will be done but for visitors to Thailand it gives an awful image. Yes there are good taxi drivers out there but unfortunately they are a minority and I feel the situation is getting worse.

I wouldn't say good drivers are the minority

But the Govt could easily stop it

It seems many taxis will sit outside 4-5 star hotels and refuse meters

At Sheraton on the river they are parked all day all down the street

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't say good drivers are the minority

They aren`t the majority, methinks!

Oh, and it could easily stop, if people/ "wanna be customers" wouldn`t decide to become part of the problem and pay "chartered fees" and accept them very high, because it so cheap compared to their home countries, and:  If a taxi refuses, to take a customer, or don`t wanna use the meter, make pictures and complain about them. 

On facebook, TikTok, ...., most powerful, I think

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

They aren`t the majority, methinks!

Just nonsense forum parrot talk

I have been going to Thailand for 20 years, that VAST MAJORITY of taxis use their meters

There are certainly problem areas, we couldn't find a taxi by Grand Palace and the Govt should really do something about it

But to say that is the majority is just lying...........plain and simple

Away from certain well known tourist traps, the vast majority will have absolutely no problem getting an honest meter taxi. 

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

tell the taxi operator to use meter

I can't remember the last time a taxi driver agreed to use the meter near nightlife. They all demand 100 baht or more. I pay it because I'd rather pay a few more baht than waste my time looking for one that will use a meter. As for the jokers that demand 200, 300, or more - I politely tell them no and find another taxi.

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

If a taxi refuses, to take a customer, or don`t wanna use the meter, make pictures and complain about them. 

Pictures aren't going to help much if a taxi driver attacks them with a bat/knife/machete. You're literally putting your life at risk if you do this.

52 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Just nonsense forum parrot talk

I have been going to Thailand for 20 years, that VAST MAJORITY of taxis use their meters

There are certainly problem areas, we couldn't find a taxi by Grand Palace and the Govt should really do something about it

But to say that is the majority is just lying...........plain and simple

My bad, I forgot 2 words: ... in Phuket!

Sorry about that. ;-)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

My bad, I forgot 2 words: ... in Phuket!

Sorry about that. ;-)

Oh for sure

And I am not saying it isn't a problem in Thailand, it is

I just don't think it is the majority

But even though I think it is a minor problem

It sure is nice when we are in Nonthaburi at our house and because it's local, there is no BS with the meters

Lol.. Taxi's in Thailand been rippin off foreigners for decades. Nothing new. I saw numerous times foreigners charged $50 for a 2km ride. If you take a taxi in Thailand, do it at your own risk 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

Lol.. Taxi's in Thailand been rippin off foreigners for decades. Nothing new. I saw numerous times foreigners charged $50 for a 2km ride. If you take a taxi in Thailand, do it at your own risk 

"Risk" is a bit of a stretch - as long as you negotiate the fare (or meter) before starting the ride you'll be fine. Drivers prey on tourists who just get in without negotiating because they realize they're "fresh meat". 1700 baht ($50) for 2km sounds excessive even for Phuket - never heard of anyone being scammed that bad. The worst I've seen was a Japanese tourist where the driver demanded 1000 baht at the end of the ride from the airport to Silom. Being Japanese and not aware of the normal fare he paid, only to learn later he's been scammed.