News Forum - Foreign army veteran rescued after Songkran water gun exacerbates PTSD

Thaiger

A Thai rescuer took to Facebook to share knowledge about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) symptoms after he helped a foreign veteran suffering from the condition after a water gun attack in the Patong sub-district of Phuket. The Thai rescuer, Nicola Vincenzo Biccai, posted the story on Friday, April 14 that he received a notification from …

The story Foreign army veteran rescued after Songkran water gun exacerbates PTSD as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Another Thai woman said her ex-boyfriend and friend suffered from PTSD, and Thai medical workers always laughed at them when they sought help. Another one said that Thai doctors gave her boyfriend paracetamol every time he suffered from PTSD.

Not only to PTSD, Thai Doctors in General only Prescribe " Paracetamol only".

Actually, why do people go to war? Why do they join the army? Why do they kill people? 

"Imagine there's  no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion, too"

So, PTSD can be easily avoided.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Actually, why do people go to war? Why do they join the army? Why do they kill people? 

It is not people want to fight or kill each other. It is the wish of countries like USA for their own benefit. So that they can sell their weapons, steal the natural resources like Oil and Gas from third world countries by exploiting them them mentioning as "Partners and allies". Make huge profits like supplying weapons to both sides and let them kill each other. Pushing countries like Ukraine into huge debts similar to loan sharks for life in the name of pretending to help them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is not people want to fight or kill each other. It is the wish of countries like USA for their own benefit. So that they can sell their weapons, steal the natural resources like Oil and Gas from third world countries by exploiting them them mentioning as "Partners and allies". Make huge profits like supplying weapons to both sides and let them kill each other. Pushing countries like Ukraine into huge debts similar to loan sharks for life in the name of pretending to help them. 

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a lot of respect for people in US that join the service

Well, I would say I don't hold them in high regard

Because there is more than enough evidence since the Iraq War(really Vietnam) that the US doesn't go to war for the right reasons

Oh look at you guys. Voicing your opinions of veterans.

Remember the ONLY reason you get to hold an opinion is because of people in uniform who are prepared to give the ultimate sacrifice to protect you, your country and your worthless opinion.

Sanctimonious crap generated by keyboard warriors.

Someone has to put their skin in the game but not you guys eh? Thats because you three could never cut it.

And you know it you ungrateful waisters. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Totoro said:

"Imagine there's  no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion, too"

So, PTSD can be easily avoided.

Truly, a delusional and ignorant statement.  One of my friends was in the Swedish Army deployed during the Bosnian war. Another colleague served in the Canadian military and helped excavate the mass murder graves. After what they saw, they both had  PTSD, similar to what many personnel who liberated the concentration camps of WWII experienced. How could their PTSD be easily avoided? In Rwanda and Burindi UN peacekeepers from France and Canada were deployed, the Canadian General in command Romeo D'Allaire  experienced  severe PTSD such that his career ended. It is well documented in multiple documentaries and his own autobiography.  Again, how could PTSD be easily avoided? The African deployment was a civilian catastrophe not a military  initiated event. The UN peacekeeprs were not there to  make war.

In Thailand when there is flooding or other natural catastrophe, the military is deployed. When the kids recover dead bodies, particularly those of children, they are at risk of PTSD.  Do you have any idea  as to the extent of trauma  the first responders including military  suffered following the tsunami? How can you accuse them  of "killing people", of "going to war" when what they did was recover dead people and animals?  Tell us how PTSD was easily avoidable? I know of one conscript 19 years old at the time who had  pull dead people out of the trees, some of whom had gone undiscovered for days and were covered in insects and rotting. He still has nightmares.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Your comments are rooted in your own personal prejudice. Why cite the USA, a country of which you know nothing about? Do not confuse the characteristics of the Malaysian military or Indian and Pakistani militaries with that of the USA.  People like you have a very limited memory because you ignore the fact that it is the US military that is often the first to deploy on humanitarian missions, while people like you sit around doing nothing. 

• Like 3

And knowing these, "The foreign man explained that gun and shooting gestures exacerbate his PTSD symptoms. The water guns brought on traumatic memories of war and fights that he had experienced.", he still attended Sonkran in daytime and on the roads?

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a lot of respect for people in US that join the service

Well, I would say I don't hold them in high regard

Because there is more than enough evidence since the Iraq War(really Vietnam) that the US doesn't go to war for the right reasons

I used to be of that opinion, but been working for an American DoD contractor for many years. 

I'll never take anything away from anyone willing to put their life on the line for their country. 

However, it's the cause that is often the problem. Not the person. Met many serving US Army personnel while living on the base in Saudi. Some of those guys were real stand up guys. 

I wouldn't want to be in the middle of a watergun fight anyway, but can't imagine how much worse this would be with PTSD - gotta wonder why he attended to begin with. Surely he knew there would be water fights?

10 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

And I, who thought that the Russians started in Ukraine. How wrong could I be.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 1:03 PM, Ramanathan.P said:

Yes, sometimes.

Would you like to see the USA knocked off its perch so that they (ideally) pull back and confine themselves to their domestic borders?   Quit being the world's referee, 911 police force, etc.

If so, and once the USA is out of the way, which country do you think would rise to the top of the new world order? 

China's been on our lips for many years.  Without political/economic/military push back from the USA and its former allies, would the CCP then feel secure enough to become a benevolent, transparent, altruistic force for good?  Specifically NOT engaging in the sort of immoral shenanigans attributed to the USA in the last part of your comment.

Not a trick question.  Curious if you've war gamed this scenario, and what your conclusions were.

• Like 1