Thaiger Talk Quiz #161 - Don Mueang Airport

BigHewer

Quiz #161

Chances are, if you've been coming to Thailand for a while, you have some experience with Don Mueang. How much do you know? Good luck folks and enjoy!

1.thumb.jpg.57b258d53ea979340c9ddedb99d18d09.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.eb091ad0f27c15482b0b35fb43f02dc3.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.69ca52ccd6c7e591a2a99b9ea9dee724.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.177f60a21c6985e78b4b26182db4b530.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.78f5dcca40d588ccd65120ce222d3474.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.bd06730be65a9cbf0242752d5f97fad8.jpg

And now for the answers...

7.thumb.jpg.49a479499e3fef51a9c586de76e9e988.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.82b893aa9f56692be975aa37d73c3263.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.577ef22e8a70f8a3ce700b59a295621e.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.690b77f70285e9fcb0a5452ac0183c6b.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.9e7c03c820c563f23ba495c3d4bb34be.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.92ed8d21aefadccd840e9a5830d78e33.jpg

18 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Scored 4, should be 5 so I'll lodge a dispute with BH. 😉

Question 3 per chance?

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Question 3 per chance?

Not #3.  Wait for the quizmaster's adjudication 😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Not #3.  Wait for the quizmaster's adjudication 😆

I love a good controversy 😁

Protest lodged concerning Q5.

The jockeys have been weighed and the footage has been reviewed… the stewards have concluded that the results stand. 🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇

• Like 1

Score: 4

By coincidence I am traveling now. I blew the question on the most traffic.  I remember my first visit to DMK, I flew in to a  hot, humid place with the stinkiest, dirtiest airport toilets I had ever seen. the airport touts were on to me like vultures to fresh kill. I still can't believe the big transfer was back in 2006. Time really goes fast.

In the beginning I wasn't a fan of Swampy, but as the links improved, the tunnel to the Novotel opened, the airport train  opened, I no longer miss the old limited DMK. What I do miss are the reasonable rates of the  DMK Amari to the  BKK Novotel. I will always have a wave of nostalgia everytime I use  DMK though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vigo said:

I remember my first visit to DMK, I flew in to a  hot, humid place with the stinkiest, dirtiest airport toilets I had ever seen.

Funny you should mention the toilets, they were the worst I’d seen in my young life up to that point when I first visited back in ‘93. I’ve seen worse since of course 😂

I remember when coming through arrivals, all the marks would be swamped by touts and those in the know shot straight up to departures on the top floor for a cheaper taxi fare. They tried to put a stop to it in the mid 2000s by stationing security at the doors but an easy fix. “Sorry, I left one of my bags out on the kerb”. 

37 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Score: 4

By coincidence I am traveling now. I blew the question on the most traffic.  I remember my first visit to DMK, I flew in to a  hot, humid place with the stinkiest, dirtiest airport toilets I had ever seen. the airport touts were on to me like vultures to fresh kill. I still can't believe the big transfer was back in 2006. Time really goes fast.

In the beginning I wasn't a fan of Swampy, but as the links improved, the tunnel to the Novotel opened, the airport train  opened, I no longer miss the old limited DMK. What I do miss are the reasonable rates of the  DMK Amari to the  BKK Novotel. I will always have a wave of nostalgia everytime I use  DMK though.

DMK is great now, IMO

So easy to get through security and get to your gate

And they have way better food options than BKK

BKK is a duty free shop with gates at the way end of the terminal with extremely limited food options 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

DMK is great now, IMO

So easy to get through security and get to your gate

And they have way better food options than BKK

BKK is a duty free shop with gates at the way end of the terminal with extremely limited food options 

I shall snicker at you and take the bait. Do you say that because DMK has DQ and Krispy Kreme?  🤔  I recall there was a Bon Chon franchise. BKK's food court is being renovated now so it's closed. I was also surprised when I went down to the ground floor, dragging my friend with me, insisting there was a nice garden resto next to the  ER of the medical clinic. Of course I was wrong. The place had closed during Covid. But seriously, what's so good about DMK food? I think they have the same   restos including BK, McD, Coffee Club, and Subway. BKK has a  Starbucks. Allow me to make  a snide remark in respect to the  Duty Free presence at BKK. maybe it's because BKK pax have money to spend and are mostly international, whereas DMK is mostly domestic or cheap charlie foreign destinations. 😛

• Like 1

3/5. On 2 I took a guess. If it is on unique as if it is not now then it used to be another one. As for most trips from a city that was a coion toss as well.

I used to love Don Meuang for the smells you would get when coming off the plane. For me I will take Suvarnabhumi everytime as like the transportation links are the best. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vigo said:

I shall snicker at you and take the bait. Do you say that because DMK has DQ and Krispy Kreme?  🤔  I recall there was a Bon Chon franchise. BKK's food court is being renovated now so it's closed. I was also surprised when I went down to the ground floor, dragging my friend with me, insisting there was a nice garden resto next to the  ER of the medical clinic. Of course I was wrong. The place had closed during Covid. But seriously, what's so good about DMK food? I think they have the same   restos including BK, McD, Coffee Club, and Subway. BKK has a  Starbucks. Allow me to make  a snide remark in respect to the  Duty Free presence at BKK. maybe it's because BKK pax have money to spend and are mostly international, whereas DMK is mostly domestic or cheap charlie foreign destinations. 😛

You can snicker because DMK does have 2 amazing dessert places 555

Milch Japanese cheese cups

Little C's Bakery

But they also have Coffee Club(which is fantastic, I don't think BKK doe)

And we have eaten legit ramen and Japanese places there as well

BKK, at least the gates I go to fly to Canada have fast food and one 2 shitty Thai places

82c6d17b12ee6e74945c54c772207d5e.jpg

• Like 1

3 of 5.

But the question where about Don Muang lais in Bangkok, is arguable, methinks.

And then, the right location would need an answer 5. ;-)

1 hour ago, Faz said:

You’ve just put me off Marc's Milk Buns 🤮

His belly is the same shade as the Milk buns 5555

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

His belly is the same shade as the Milk buns 5555

Waaaaaay too much information there, Marc. 
I'll be at DMK on Friday.

• Like 2