News Forum - Death toll during Songkran increases to 158

Thaiger

Forty-four individuals tragically lost their lives, and a further 368 were injured in road accidents across various regions on Friday, the fourth day of the “seven dangerous days” during the Songkran festivities. This has brought the total number of fatalities throughout the celebration thus far to 158. The reported number of deaths during the first …

The story Death toll during Songkran increases to 158 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As the attached article: Motorcycles were involved in a staggering 83.1% of all reported accidents.

That's alarming. I'd stay off a motorbike and stay alive. You know it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

As the attached article: Motorcycles were involved in a staggering 83.1% of all reported accidents.

That's alarming. I'd stay off a motorbike and stay alive. You know it makes sense.

How many of these people are wearing proper gear while ridding? 

• Like 1

How many had been drinking? I personally saw a ‘ferang’ yesterday driving a scooter with one hand, no helmet and firing a water gun at pedestrians as he went along, he had clearly been drinking I have no idea if he survived the day? 

It's not how the stats compare to last year, which was not a representative year due to covid, it is how this 7 days compares to a 'normal' 7 days, that includes a weekend.  I can't say that I have ever seen such a comparison set of stats. As this level of police checks is not at a 'normal' level, I suspect that the numbers for Songkran violations is not that much different to normal.  It's all a bit smoke and mirrors. 

15 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

It's not how the stats compare to last year, which was not a representative year due to covid, it is how this 7 days compares to a 'normal' 7 days, that includes a weekend.  I can't say that I have ever seen such a comparison set of stats. As this level of police checks is not at a 'normal' level, I suspect that the numbers for Songkran violations is not that much different to normal.  It's all a bit smoke and mirrors. 

If I was 20 minutes later I would have been in a check point. I was right there when their truck carrying the check point stuff came. Riding my bike home and my hat came off in the street so had to skreech to a stop with a man in uniform standing right there to turn around and get it. No problem as the truck came 30 seconds after that with the senior officers in cab. If I was 20 minutes later then I would be going to the ATM.. 

• Like 2