Man allegedly breaks into Bangkok 7/11, argues with police

Thaiger

A man has been arrested after he allegedly broke into a Bangkok 7/11 and rooted around for a bit, early Tuesday morning. According to police, 33 year old Songyot Tharanukan broke a glass door with a brick and then gained illegal entry into the ubiquitous convenience store. Police also say the man was none too happy to have to deal with the police and instructed them to contact his family in the Kalasin province. The police say they “negotiated” with the man for 20 minutes before he calmed down. Songyot was then taken to the Tha Kham Police Station. He […]

The post Man allegedly breaks into Bangkok 7/11, argues with police appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

38 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Songyot was then taken to the Tha Kham Police Station. He was charged with trespassing at night, ruining property, and violating the requirements issued by the Emergency Decree.

I've always wondered about phrases like 'trespassing at night'. I've seen it used many times. Okay in this instance it didn't appear to be burglary.
Why is 'at night' relevant? Is there something in Thai law that separates crime during the day from crime during the night?
(Don't try to tell me it's more involved at night because they have to deal with the ghosts as well!)
To my way of thinking, burglary for example, is surely the same irrespective of the time of day it is committed?

I did a search to see if there was a difference, and it surprised me what wiki came up with:
"In some states, a burglary committed during the hours of daylight is technically not burglary, but housebreaking. In many jurisdictions in the U.S., burglary is punished more severely than housebreaking."
source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglary#Nighttime_burglaries  

I recommend that a gentle tap with a baton on a kneecap will ensure these ruffians adopt a more reasonable attitude.

Some might suggest I propose a rather lenient remedy for the miscreant's cooperation. To that I reply, the other ruffiant's kneecap will be avalable for a gentle tap to reinforce the lesson, even though the person is already writhing in agony on the ground.

What method do fellow members suggest to make a truculent Thais comply? A certain goverment minister might be interested.

Edited by TobyAndrews
mistake
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

I've always wondered about phrases like 'trespassing at night'. I've seen it used many times. Okay in this instance it didn't appear to be burglary.
Why is 'at night' relevant? Is there something in Thai law that separates crime during the day from crime during the night?
(Don't try to tell me it's more involved at night because they have to deal with the ghosts as well!)
To my way of thinking, burglary for example, is surely the same irrespective of the time of day it is committed?

I did a search to see if there was a difference, and it surprised me what wiki came up with:
"In some states, a burglary committed during the hours of daylight is technically not burglary, but housebreaking. In many jurisdictions in the U.S., burglary is punished more severely than housebreaking."

Interesting. 

Sorry Officers, I jut had a craving for a 7-11 toasty....

other alibis...

a slurpee?

condoms?

sangsom?

doraemon stuffed animal?

sunflower seeds?

red bull?

+++

15 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Burglary at night carries a mandatory 5 year sentence (might be 8 not sure) in excess of daytime burglary. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Burglary at night carries a mandatory 5 year sentence (might be 8 not sure) in excess of daytime burglary. 

Thanks for your reply.
After finding wiki said a similar thing regarding the US, I'm still interested in why some night-time offences are sentenced 'more seriously' than the same offence committed in the day-time?
Is it purely historical how this happened, or is it still perceived the same now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike-Hunt said:

Thanks for your reply.
After finding wiki said a similar thing regarding the US, I'm still interested in why some night-time offences are sentenced 'more seriously' than the same offence committed in the day-time?
Is it purely historical how this happened, or is it still perceived the same now?

It the daytime you usually don't have to get the arresting officer out of bed.

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:42 AM, Mike-Hunt said:

I think trespassing at night typically refers to a voyeur, or "peeping tom".  (Canadian Law)

Trespassing at night

177 Every person who, without lawful excuse, loiters or prowls at night on the property of another person near a dwelling-house situated on that property is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Edited by bushav8r
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mike-Hunt said:

On a similar note, in England and Wales, until the 1968 Theft Act, the crimes were differentiated as "Breaking and Entering" and "Burglary" with 5 and 10 year max pens. Then it all became Burglary.

Regarding the "trespass" angle. The law in England is that being in someone else's premises without permission is not necessarily a criminal offence and might give rise to the civil offence of trespass instead. The wording of the charge  of burglary is something along the lines, of "did enter as a trespasser with intent to...." and then the intended crime is specified such as , steal, rape, commit criminal damage etc. If they cannot establish criminal intent, then they cannot charge burglary.

You might get a case of a couple breaking up and one returns home one day to find the other has entered the former shared home and is waiting for the ex to arrive. As long as the trespasser has not forced their way in by eg, breaking a window, no arrestable offence has been committed unless of course there is a restraining order.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:31 AM, Benroon said:

Until the Theft Act 1968 (England and Wales) there were separate offences of burglary (night) and breaking and entering (day). The reason for differentiation was the horror that someone might experience waking up in the middle of the night to find a stranger stealing his property. This sentences were at the time, enhanced for burglars. Research showed that burglaries were rarely carried out when there were occupiers on the premises, so it was decided to scrap that distinction, especially as there was no such protection for those who might be at home during the day time during a burglary. However, Judges were told to consider than any burglary that took place while the building was inhabited, should consider this an aggravating factor when sentencing.

• Like 1