News Forum - Cops bust 6 overstayers in northeast Thailand ahead of Songkran

Thaiger

Cops busted six overstayers in northeast Thailand’s Buriram province ahead of the country’s Songkran festival. A crackdown by Immigration police in Buriram led to the detention of six foreigners for overstaying their visas. The operation took place from March 27 to April 10, and was aimed at preventing and suppressing crime during the Songkran festival, …

The story Cops bust 6 overstayers in northeast Thailand ahead of Songkran as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

15 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

I fail to see how detaining overstayers prevents and suppresses crimes, unless the overstayers have a history of criminality.

By overstaying they are breaking the law.

Simple as that.

Overstaying often goes hand in hand with other nefarious activities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

I fail to see how detaining overstayers prevents and suppresses crimes, unless the overstayers have a history of criminality.

It's against the Law, Simple really. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, harry1 said:

while drug smugglers, a human traffickers are rarely caught, its good to see  the A-team  hunting down those overstayers

They often go together.  Over stayers often seem to overstay for other reasons, other than lapsed memory. I don't get this support for immigration law breakers. 

6 hours ago, Chaimai said:

By overstaying they are breaking the law.

Simple as that.

Overstaying often goes hand in hand with other nefarious activities.

A high percentage of foreigners whom are involved in criminal activities also overstay their visa does not translate into the vast majority of overstayers being involved in criminal activity. The six people arrested, were detained for overstaying their visa, I guess we can all sleep easier at night now.

• Like 1

It really does blow my mind people excuse and defend these idiots overstaying

Those same people will bitch and moan about the inconveniences of their visas, which a lot of the regulations are in place because of overstayers!

Not exactly rocket scientists on this forum...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Khunmark said:

A high percentage of foreigners whom are involved in criminal activities also overstay their visa does not translate into the vast majority of overstayers being involved in criminal activity. The six people arrested, were detained for overstaying their visa, I guess we can all sleep easier at night now.

Who said the VAST majority....?

These foreigners broke the rules and I assume that they all understood the potential ramifications of being caught. I'm sure that these people also come from a diverse number of countries, including the neighboring nations.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:00 PM, Pinetree said:

And your point is? 

My point is clearly stated in my opening post. Plenty on here having difficulty discerning between a felony and a misdemeanour.

22 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Who said the VAST majority....?

Given that the MO of immigration police is targeting overstayers, it’s reasonable to conclude that this is their assumption.

1 hour ago, Khunmark said:

My point is clearly stated in my opening post. Plenty on here having difficulty discerning between a felony and a misdemeanour.

They are US terms,  meaningless throughout most of  the rest of the World.  The World does not start and end in the US, thank goodness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

They are US terms,  meaningless throughout most of  the rest of the World.  The World does not start and end in the US, thank goodness. 

But most countries have similar levels of law/crimes 

It may not use the same terms....

4 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Given that the MO of immigration police is targeting overstayers, it’s reasonable to conclude that this is their assumption.

The police were doing licence checks yesterday......it didn't stop them fining people for not wearing a helmet.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

The police were doing licence checks yesterday......it didn't stop them fining people for not wearing a helmet.

Well, I’m glad. I won’t have to locked my doors when I go out tonight.

• Haha 1