News Forum - Foreigner slips and breaks his neck on mossy seawall steps at Thailand beach

Thaiger

A 55 year old foreign man slipped on mossy steps and “broke bones in his neck” at Cha-am Beach in Phetchaburi province, Thailand, his wife reported on Friday. On Friday, the Facebook page ‘Beach for life‘ was contacted by a Thai woman seeking justice for her foreign husband who is still being treated in the …

The story Foreigner slips and breaks his neck on mossy seawall steps at Thailand beach as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I feel sorry for the man and his family but people need to accept some responsibility looking out for themselves. Walking down steps without lights onto the beach at night requires some caution. If the steps are privately owned then Civil Court is the place to seek justice. 

• Like 1

She said there are no lights in the area and no warning signs to say the steps could be slippery

Imho, the mistake is : no lights in HIS hands, then

And near the sea, everything, that has a hard surface, can be slippery.

But that is the social media pressuring pattern, these days

30 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is a matter of common sense....watch where one steps

Shoe rubber plays a huge amount in this too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I hope you understand that every shoe soul's rubber on shoes is not the same? Do you?

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I hope you understand that every shoe soul's rubber on shoes is not the same? Do you?

Especially sandals.  Given he was as the beach he was likely wearing sandals and the bottoms of most sandals don't provide traction and are usually a slippery material, especially if worn out even a little they give way.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, HolyCowCm said:

There is a reason why yachties have special deck shoes

13 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

There is a reason why yachties have special deck shoes

I guess that fits in for what I was getting at. Also riding motorcycles. Some rubber souks slip too easy on the asphalt. Dangerous if on a big bike. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I guess that fits in for what I was getting at. Also riding motorcycles. Some rubber souks slip too easy on the asphalt. Dangerous if on a big bike. 

Deck shoes are like pumps but with flexible, studded soles. They not only give better grip on a, wet deck, but also let you feel where your feet are, and what's under them, while protecting the foot. I took to wearing mine more casually, for these reasons. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

Deck shoes are like pumps but with flexible, studded soles. They not only give better grip on a, wet deck, but also let you feel where your feet are, and what's under them, while protecting the foot. I took to wearing mine more casually, for these reasons. 

Like Vans.