News Forum - Gang attacks Swedish tourist for defending waitress in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Thaiger

A Swedish tourist was brutally attacked by a gang of young men after he tried to stop them from harassing a waitress at a karaoke bar in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, on Friday. The gang also stole the victim’s gold necklace before throwing him into a canal. Yesterday, police arrested three men of Thai Yai …

The story Gang attacks Swedish tourist for defending waitress in Chiang Mai, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Was on the Thai news yesterday. Very hard call for what to do, but one thing for sure is that they will grab a bottle every time and try to hit you with it. As for biting the Thai guy's finger almost off, this shows these Tai Yai who are everywhere here in CM are really a danger and it is lucky no one got stabbed. Uncooth is the best word I can use for these kind of low so's who cause trouble. Put the twerps in jail, fine them, then send them back to Myanmar regardless if they were born here or not. 

• Like 2

I know the guy didn't deserve that, but don't be wearing 2 baht chains in low class joints. 

Just making yourself a target. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

He was brave to do what he did. He obviously doesn't watch the news or else he would know that such people are more dangerous than a pack of hungry bears because they often carry guns and knives and will use them happily. If you fight these "animals" you have to be prepared to go all the way because you WILL be fighting for your life and they may kill you. I see their brutal fights almost every day on the midday news. The lucky ones end up mangled in a hospital with a huge bill to pay. Wearing a gold necklace in a karaoke bar isn't wise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Samlee said:

He was brave to do what he did. He obviously doesn't watch the news or else he would know that such people are more dangerous than a pack of hungry bears because they often carry guns and knives and will use them happily. If you fight these "animals" you have to be prepared to go all the way because you WILL be fighting for your life and they may kill you. I see their brutal fights almost every day on the midday news. The lucky ones end up mangled in a hospital with a huge bill to pay. Wearing a gold necklace in a karaoke bar isn't wise.

One must remember that the majority of young Thai 'men', I use the word 'men' in it's biological sense only, are immature, mummy's boy, cowards, with the intelligence of a stupid mouse and the built in, pack savagery of a pack of armed hyenas.  Stay well clear, a message that I still need to remind myself to follow when I see them in action.  As an aside, they are all about as Buddhist in mentality and behavior as my cat and she's been dead this past 4 years.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good for him...its much better to step in than feeling shamed at not helping someone in distress. Luckily he wasn't stabbed or worse.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I know the guy didn't deserve that, but don't be wearing 2 baht chains in low class joints. 

Yeah, and agree. I only have my sausage head pierced with a 2 baht love bead. No one can see it.

4 hours ago, Samlee said:

Yep! Play by their game and you best take it to the real finish. Do not stop on what you broke into or you will lose. Take them all out or 3 of the 4 if you want to survive. One on his own will p i ss away as the camel toe worm. 

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yep! Play by their game and you best take it to the real finish. Do not stop on what you broke into or you will lose. Take them all out or 3 of the 4 if you want to survive. One on his own will p i ss away as the camel toe worm. 

I will note, these scrum can speak Thai very well, so you better also know how to speak on their level or better. 

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Good for him...its much better to step in than feeling shamed at not helping someone in distress. Luckily he wasn't stabbed or worse.

I tend to disagree nowadays. I did that once when I was younger in the UK and ended up with some badly bruised ribs as a result. I'd also been drinking at the time and rashly overestimated my hand eye coordination... 😆

I think now I'd only call the police and film the incident where possible to lead to a prosecution down the line. 

My health and longevity are too important to be lost to strangers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I tend to disagree nowadays. I did that once when I was younger in the UK and ended up with some badly bruised ribs as a result. I'd also been drinking at the time and rashly overestimated my hand eye coordination... 😆

I think now I'd only call the police and film the incident where possible to lead to a prosecution down the line. 

My health and longevity are too important to be lost to strangers. 

It doesn't pay to be a hero, usually you'll lose your own life or be seriously injured in a situation like this, this guy is lucky he only came away with scratches and not much worse.  Best action is to call for help, notify the police.

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

One must remember that the majority of young Thai 'men', I use the word 'men' in it's biological sense only, are immature, mummy's boy, cowards, with the intelligence of a stupid mouse and the built in, pack savagery of a pack of armed hyenas.  Stay well clear, a message that I still need to remind myself to follow when I see them in action.  As an aside, they are all about as Buddhist in mentality and behavior as my cat and she's been dead this past 4 years.  

You should visit America, you'll find a lot of these types here.

49 minutes ago, Saunk said:

You should visit America, you'll find a lot of these types here.

No you don't..........

Thai guys are notorious for ganging up in a fight, that does not happen regularly in the US, people fight one on one

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I will go one step further..........don't wear a 2 baht chain, you look like an idiot

Also, I kind of laughed at the end, when it says 'they threw him in the canal" 5555

been there done that...ive found to choose your battles carefully in LOS as you make thai men lose face and there is nothing worse to them...ive been in a few sticky situations and even had a large beer broken on my head..luckily the sangsom effects helped...but from my exps in CM...best to stay out of it......or take the lumps

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

been there done that...ive found to choose your battles carefully in LOS as you make thai men lose face and there is nothing worse to them...ive been in a few sticky situations and even had a large beer broken on my head..luckily the sangsom effects helped...but from my exps in CM...best to stay out of it......or take the lumps

I'd take the lumps than just let something like that happened

I have been in my few share of scraps as well

Once you stand up for yourself and even knock one of them down, all the other pussies run away

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pinetree said:

you don`t have to leave out many of the older thai men in this statement. Often only age is changing

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guest1 said:

you don`t have to leave out many of the older thai men in this statement. Often only age is changing

1st off let me start by saying my wife's father was the devil

He was born the devil and died the devil 

My 1st trip to the village 

We arranged all of us to go to the Zoo

The morning came we all getting ready to leave for the zoo and he threw an absolute fit, like he was 5 years old, because we were going to the Zoo and he had to work

He was in his mid 40's

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

2 baht chain? 2 thb = 5 cents usd!  Something not right there...

You obviously never had a Thai GF 555

Baht is also the weighted measure for gold in Thailand 

Right now 1 baht is $32,450 baht so the chain is worth 65000, almost $1900usd

• Like 2

That waitress knew those gangsters and she baited him of doing the hero shit then got hurt. Those gangsters will only got fined for B500 & will be release in less than 24 hours. It's a typical Thai things hooking each other up when farangs involved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I've been saying this over and over for years. I find Thai males (there's the word you might be looking for) very commonly (there are always exceptions, of course...as with every generalization and stereotype) to be extremely emotional with very little control over them. Sorta like teenage school-girls.

It could be some sort of inferiority complex. I find that it manifests most commonly when they're behind the wheel of a car or truck.

You have to do a lot of steering clear around here.

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

2 baht chain? 2 thb = 5 cents usd!  Something not right there...

Google it. It's exactly proper usage (like for a million years), and that 2-baht chain is worth 66,400 baht at today's price.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I will go one step further..........don't wear a 2 baht chain, you look like an idiot

Also, I kind of laughed at the end, when it says 'they threw him in the canal" 5555

Very true, especially when you obviously haven't got a baht to your name. 

Big chains don't match with crappy clothes and motorsai with very small wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RNikoley said:

It could be some sort of inferiority complex. I find that it manifests most commonly when they're behind the wheel of a car or truck.

It's for this specific reason that every time I visit (usually twice a year), I head to a market and find the stall selling expanding batons. I carry one with me at all times, especially when I'm driving. I can't count the number of times someone has road raged or approached me threateningly, I expand the baton, they retreat faster than a cockroach in daylight.