News Forum - British tourists’ travel insurance in Thailand may not be enough for serious operations

Thaiger

British tourists travelling to Thailand are being warned that their travel insurance policies may not cover them in the event of a medical emergency. Most travel insurance is not designed to cover life-saving operations or expensive repatriation, Pattaya Mail reported yesterday. The Association of British Insurers says that 17% of all overseas claims are rejected due to …

The story British tourists’ travel insurance in Thailand may not be enough for serious operations as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

An excellent article and it confirms our Members own beliefs.  It needs to be put out in front of all prospective tourists somehow. 

• Like 2

With this article it is clear about the policies and the issues. If any future such accidents occur for tourists, especially from Britain, then either the tourist is uneducated or under-educated. With this detailed articles hope it will put an end to the "Go Fund Me" in future. 

True about the Brit license on its own, but together with an easily obtained IDP it is legal to drive in Thailand. 

It also covers you in the event of a police stop that leaves you open to a bribe. 

12 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

True about the Brit license on its own, but together with an easily obtained IDP it is legal to drive in Thailand. 

It also covers you in the event of a police stop that leaves you open to a bribe. 

I know my policy has specific requirements, I don't know about others - but I am only covered (and then only up to 125cc capacity) if I have a full UK motorcycle licence, which in the UK now requires compulsory basic training, a theory test, and a practical test, even for a moped.

16 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

I know my policy has specific requirements, I don't know about others - but I am only covered (and then only up to 125cc capacity) if I have a full UK motorcycle licence, which in the UK now requires compulsory basic training, a theory test, and a practical test, even for a moped.

"For example, in 10 road accidents, five British tourists were refused cover because they were not wearing a crash helmet. Two were participating in hazardous sports such as elephant trekking or bungee jumping. Two were relying on British driving licences, which are not lawful in Thailand. One had been out of the UK for more than 30 days."

The article isn't really clear on what kind of license they're talking about, car or motorbike. 

But if it is car, then always worthwhile having IDP. 

7 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

"For example, in 10 road accidents, five British tourists were refused cover because they were not wearing a crash helmet. Two were participating in hazardous sports such as elephant trekking or bungee jumping. Two were relying on British driving licences, which are not lawful in Thailand. One had been out of the UK for more than 30 days."

The article isn't really clear on what kind of license they're talking about, car or motorbike. 

The most common problem is that a UK car licence also acts as a provincial licence for motorcycles, but only up to 50cc. Most rented motorcycles in Thailand are 125cc, therefore the rider doesn't have a valid licence to drive a 125cc motorcycle, even with an IDP ................... Insurance claim denied!

27 minutes ago, Faz said:

The most common problem is that a UK car licence also acts as a provincial licence for motorcycles, but only up to 50cc. Most rented motorcycles in Thailand are 125cc, therefore the rider doesn't have a valid licence to drive a 125cc motorcycle, even with an IDP ................... Insurance claim denied!

Difficult to know what they're talking about from the article, uses 10 Road accidents (car/motorbike?) as an example... 

Of which:

Five had no helmet, safe to presume that's motorbike 😁

Two elephant trekkers/bungee jumpers (Road accidents??) 

Two British licenses (what kind?)

1 out the country. 

The choice is yours! 

12 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Two elephant trekkers/bungee jumpers (Road accidents??) 

Hazardous activities, which weren't covered by a standard policy

14 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

1 out the country. 

30 day Policy had expired?

2 hours ago, Faz said:

Hazardous activities, which weren't covered by a standard policy

30 day Policy had expired?

A lot of policies, especially the ones that come bundled with things like bank accounts and credit cards, impose a maximum trip duration. 

Bottom line is,  although a lot of the restrictions may seem unfair, it is down to the consumer to check the fine print, and to query anything that is not clear.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

With this detailed articles hope it will put an end to the "Go Fund Me" in future. 

As long people "funding" this, it is a profitable goldmine.

Would you stop digging?

6 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

This article is not clear at all. It mentioned 10 road accidents, but two of them have been elephant trekking and bungee jumping? Road Accidents?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

This article is not clear at all. It mentioned 10 road accidents, but two of them have been elephant trekking and bungee jumping? Road Accidents?

That's why it's called Amazing Thailand! 

• Haha 1

If you don't insure yourself, it's your own fault. Anyone who does not read the terms and conditions before signing and/or violates them is also their own fault.

People have enough money to fly on vacation but not enough money to get proper insurance? And not enough sense to stick to the rules that certainly also apply in England (no driving without a valid driver's license, helmets are compulsory, don't drink and drive, etc.)? Also your own fault. Then why should others pay for their avarice/ignorance/stupidity?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

ALL the many high end UK Travel Insurance Policies I looked last month cover ONLY legal riding of small motorbikes to 125 cc. So fairly useless for m// bike cover. But I still got an annuaL multi trip policy for 120 GBP ( I’m mid 60’s; my 18 year old son has same policy for 55 GBP).No Excuse for not having this co er and understanding the important limitations.

UK Medical Health Policies are usually valid ONLY in UK. Mine is BUPA at 146 GBP monthly.
I am not getting an equally expensive Thai Medical Policy as a Tourist for full m/bike cover.

BUT I do hold a Personal Accident Policy here which pays out unconditionally direct to private hospital to 300,000 baht per case, which goes a long way in a public hospital and would cover broken limbs in private hospital but not long term ICU / Spinal / Brain/ Coma cases. Policy about 12, 000 baht which pays for itself substantially with just one annual average claim for a minor spill. 

Mitigation for not being fully covered on bike then is top quality full face helmet, motocross gloves and ankle boots plus riding extremely defensively. I see simply don’t have the patience to drive on four wheels here.

17 hours ago, Faz said:

Yes Faz but your “provincial” should read “ provisional “ I venture ! 😂🤣

10 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

ALL the many high end UK Travel Insurance Policies I looked last month cover ONLY legal riding of small motorbikes to 125 cc. So fairly useless for m// bike cover. But I still got an annuaL multi trip policy for 120 GBP ( I’m mid 60’s; my 18 year old son has same policy for 55 GBP).No Excuse for not having this co er and understanding the important limitations.

UK Medical Health Policies are usually valid ONLY in UK. Mine is BUPA at 146 GBP monthly.
I am not getting an equally expensive Thai Medical Policy as a Tourist for full m/bike cover.

BUT I do hold a Personal Accident Policy here which pays out unconditionally direct to private hospital to 300,000 baht per case, which goes a long way in a public hospital and would cover broken limbs in private hospital but not long term ICU / Spinal / Brain/ Coma cases. Policy about 12, 000 baht which pays for itself substantially with just one annual average claim for a minor spill. 

Mitigation for not being fully covered on bike then is top quality full face helmet, motocross gloves and ankle boots plus riding extremely defensively. I see simply don’t have the patience to drive on four wheels here.

Hmmm … wasn’t aware the most m/bike hires here are the covered 125cc ( as I’m a somewhat  “serious” m/ bike rider with full UK and Thai M/ Bike Licenses with Optimum Insurance Cover) so travel policies not quite “ useless” for all m/ bikes then . However I and others would Typically ride 300cc or 350cc bikes here…which for Insurance purpose might be regarded as Dangerous Sports although not listed as such ( so not covered at all). 

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

…which for Insurance purpose might be regarded as Dangerous Sports although not listed as such ( so not covered at all). 

Just walking on the pavement could be regarded as a dangerous sport in Thailand - if you can find a bit of pavement not covered in (moving or stationary) motorbikes, street vendors, and pot holes.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Just walking on the pavement could be regarded as a dangerous sport in Thailand - if you can find a bit of pavement

Fixed that for you 🤣

• Haha 2