News Forum - Family desperate for young Brit in intensive care in Thailand to return home

Thaiger

The young British man who sustained life-threatening injuries in a moped crash in Thailand in February is still in intensive care in Bangkok and his family cannot afford to pay for his return home. The 24 year old ice hockey player from Blackburn, Josh Richardson, was in Thailand for less than 24 hours when he …

The story Family desperate for young Brit in intensive care in Thailand to return home as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I don't think he is from poor family. If have money to come to Thailand to enjoy, why don't he have money to buy insurance coverage. I personally fell that it is all self inflicted injuries. If not responsible for taking care one's safety, just let them face it. May be they should put a big advertisement in London Airport..."Going to Thailand, be prepared to face the consequences if any unwanted incident happens to you because of your negligence. Don't expect donations to save you".....Sorry for my words.

41 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

I don't think he is from poor family. If have money to come to Thailand to enjoy, why don't he have money to buy insurance coverage.

The news report says he bought insurance coverage “Although Richardson took out insurance for his trip, the insurance company will not cover the costs of his medical treatment because they believe he was not wearing a helmet when he fractured his skull”. Unfortunately many tourists do not know the local laws driving a motorbike and just copy many of the locals driving without a helmet.

Every Thailand insurance policy probably has over 20 exclusions. Example, even if he was wearing a helmet and was engaged in ANY traffic violation, the Thailand insurance will not pay.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Unfortunately many tourists do not know the local laws driving a motorbike and just copy many of the locals driving without a helmet.

What is the law in UK? It is personal safety. Thailand law insists helmet while riding motorcycle and there is a penalty of 500Baht if failed to comply. It is all stupidity that leads to such incidences. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

What is the law in UK? It is personal safety. Thailand law insists helmet while riding motorcycle and there is a penalty of 500Baht if failed to comply. It is all stupidity that leads to such incidences. 

I’m not from the UK so I don’t know the law, but if I was going to drive a motorbike/motorcycle I would wear a helmet anyway.  I know Thailand has a helmet law, but everywhere I drive a majority of them drive their motorbikes without a helmet or only the driver is wearing a helmet and a passenger(‘s) do not. I do see more helmets in Bangkok and in Chiang Mai, but many times their passengers do not wear one.  I can’t ever remember seeing a child wear a helmet when there is a whole family on the motorbike. Only time I may have seen a motorbike driver get that 500 baht penalty for no helmet is at a police checkpoint in which is just bad timing for that driver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Crash helmet is required, and has been for many years. To get a full motorcycle licence is a multi-part exercise, with compulsory training, and written and practical tests (unlike when I got mine, over five decades ago, when it was answer a few theory questions at the roadside, ride round the block, and do an emergency stop without falling off). I think my travel insurance covers me on motorcycles up to 125 cc but only if I have a  full licence.

• Like 3

"while going out for food in the middle of the night in the early hours of February 3."

I wonder how sober he was? No crash helmet, there goes your insurance cover, did he even have a full bike licence? Probably not. I feel sorry for his family who will doubtless be crippled by debt resulting from his poor choices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

No helmet, no brain, no pain.  Except for the poor family. 

I will say I rented 3 different MB this past trip and all had legit helmets to use, much better than back in the day

Another day, anothe GoFundMe for another dude who drove with no license/no helmet/drunk/etc. At this point this isn't even news anymore. And why is it (seems to be) always Brits??

Speedy recovery for this young man. At 24, he is at the peak of his life  and should be enjoying his time. 

This incident will surely help him remember to wear a helmet next time he rides.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pinga said:

And why is it (seems to be) always Brits??

It is because most of them are still in their colonial mentality. They think they are the superior species on earth. So their moto is "Go Fun Me" and if anything happen then "Go Fund Me"

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

The news report says he bought insurance coverage “Although Richardson took out insurance for his trip, the insurance company will not cover the costs of his medical treatment because they believe he was not wearing a helmet when he fractured his skull”. Unfortunately many tourists do not know the local laws driving a motorbike and just copy many of the locals driving without a helmet.

All the insurances I have even used the medical cover has been $10,000,000 but it does not cover riding a motorbike as that is too much risk, the vast majority of adult Brits do have driving licences but I do not know any who have motorbike licences as the vast majority of people travel by car when on the roads. 

I used my travel medical insurance three years ago and it was dealt with very efficiently and with full support in Thailand as I was being treated for something covered by my insurance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is because most of them are still in their colonial mentality. They think they are the superior species on earth. So their moto is "Go Fun Me" and if anything happen then "Go Fund Me"

It is not worth bothering to argue, I will just laugh.

This lad will not have any experience of colonial rule for two reasons, he was born well after the Britsh had an empire and he would not have been from the ruling class anyway, he would have been one of the subjugated Engish subjects.

You must think all Indians have a maharaja attitude or Italians act as though they are allowed to have slaves (Romans).

So funny 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We Brits have been spoilt by growing up in a Welfare State with cradle to grave free healthcare. It’s quite a shock when you come to Asia where like the US healthcare is a business and you pay for every plaster. That’s why you need decent insurance and to learn to take care of yourself and not expect any help from the state.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, Ray said:

We Brits have been spoilt by growing up in a Welfare State with cradle to grave free healthcare. It’s quite a shock when you come to Asia where like the US healthcare is a business and you pay for every plaster. That’s why you need decent insurance and to learn to take care of yourself and not expect any help from the state.

Dead Wrong.
Thailand NHS is 30 baht each treatment for Thais.
Foreigners pay Low Tariff in Public Hospitals. 👍
Proper Insurance and Safety is a basic adult responsibility. 😎
Advanced State must provide basics like Defense Health Education Water Power Roads Pension Passports Police Customs Border Ports Airports etc . Or will you do all that yourself ? After paying Govt. Tax 😂?

On 4/4/2023 at 2:36 AM, JackMeOff said:

Every Thailand insurance policy probably has over 20 exclusions. Example, even if he was wearing a helmet and was engaged in ANY traffic violation, the Thailand insurance will not pay.

Rubbish on ANY Traffic Violation claim. . I pulled up a few policy wordings to  verify. I looked at Chubb - No exclusion. I looked at Allianz - helmet requirement only.  The Allianz  policy excludes illegal Acts but only if convicted : Illegal acts- An illegal act resulting in a conviction, except when you, a traveling companion, a family member, or your service animal is the victim of such act.  The boy was not convicted of an illegal act.

Please cite your examples.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, KaptainRob said:

No helmet, no brain, no pain.  Except for the poor family. 

Constantly observing many western males riding m/bikes with zero body protection.

Literally naked other than shorts and those stupid flip flops. Variable Skill levels…😩

Would guess majority would be effectively uninsured on bike power alone.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:29 PM, Vigo said:

Rubbish on ANY Traffic Violation claim. . I pulled up a few policy wordings to  verify. I looked at Chubb - No exclusion. I looked at Allianz - helmet requirement only.  The Allianz  policy excludes illegal Acts but only if convicted : Illegal acts- An illegal act resulting in a conviction, except when you, a traveling companion, a family member, or your service animal is the victim of such act.  The boy was not convicted of an illegal act.

Please cite your examples.

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

Constantly observing many western males riding m/bikes with zero body protection.

Literally naked other than shorts and those stupid flip flops. Variable Skill levels…😩

Would guess majority would be effectively uninsured on bike power alone.

Just now, oldschooler said:

Thai Policy Payouts of all type can be generally poor ….so best get an Intl Health Policy.

However for Personal Accident at least my broker- recommended ( yes, unconditional) Thailand Chubb policy worked a treat.