News Forum - Thailand’s 45-day visa exemption is back to 30 days

Thaiger

Thailand’s 45-day visa exemption is back down to 30 days for visitors to the kingdom from a list of around 60 countries. Starting from April 1 (yesterday), visitors from mainland Europe, the UK, the US, Australia, Saudi Arabia, and other countries will only be granted a 30-day stay in Thailand if they choose to enter …

The story Thailand’s 45-day visa exemption is back to 30 days as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"However, they will still have the option to extend their stay once for an additional 30 days if they go through Immigration. This means they will be able to tour the country for a maximum of 60 days instead of 75.

Visa-exempt countries will also have another option to obtain a 30-day addition if they leave the country and then return briefly."

This is the wording in the article, clearly talking about 2 ways to extend the visa exemption.  I'm well aware of the second - a visa run, but can anyone explain the first?  How can you 'go through immigration' without leaving/re-entering and 'tour the country for 60 days' with no mention of a visa run half way?  Does it mean an extension can be gained by visiting a local immigration office?  Hope so as this requirement to visa run is just a sheer waste of money/fuel etc.

24 minutes ago, IanL said:

"However, they will still have the option to extend their stay once for an additional 30 days if they go through Immigration. This means they will be able to tour the country for a maximum of 60 days instead of 75.

Visa-exempt countries will also have another option to obtain a 30-day addition if they leave the country and then return briefly."

This is the wording in the article, clearly talking about 2 ways to extend the visa exemption.  I'm well aware of the second - a visa run, but can anyone explain the first?  How can you 'go through immigration' without leaving/re-entering and 'tour the country for 60 days' with no mention of a visa run half way?  Does it mean an extension can be gained by visiting a local immigration office?  Hope so as this requirement to visa run is just a sheer waste of money/fuel etc.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to talk semantics with you about the use of the term visa run when you don't get a visa... 😆😆😆

But to answer your question, yes:

1st method means applying at a local immigration office for an extension. 

2nd method means crossing a border and re-entering for a new visa-exempt 30 day stay, so by definition not a visa-run.. 😁

2 hours ago, IanL said:

1. As a tourist, enter VE, granted 30 days on entry.
Can be extended for a further 30 days at a local Immigration office, provided a TM30 has been filed at the office you apply for the extension of stay.

2. Exit Thailand, re-enter VE (30 days), or obtain a TV at a local Thai Embassy/Consulate (60 days), both of which can be extended for a further 30 days under the same conditions as 1.

If visiting a Thai spouse/family, you can extend your stay for a further 60 days, each entry.

Starting from April 1 (yesterday), visitors from mainland Europe, the UK, the US, Australia, Saudi Arabia, and other countries will only be granted a 30-day stay in Thailand if they choose to enter the country without obtaining a prior visa, as the 45-day visa exemption is officially over.

And, the 30-day VOA is now also reduced back to 15 days on arrival.

The government as usual making last minute decisions and never saw parliament being dissolved when it was.

30 days is probably OK for the vast majority of tourists, but 45 days is better for those like me that like to stay longer - having to deal with Thai bureaucracy is a total PITA. 

• Like 1

Note on doing a "run".  At the Southern border crossings, at least, you must be out of the country for 48 hours, so no "out-and-in" runs any more.

Not sure if all land crossings are the same, but know people who have had this requirement prevent them from re-entering, for some months now.

"The Thai government has not yet officially announced the change but is expected to do after Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting."

Thaiger make it official before the Government.😅

30 days or 45 days doesn't make any difference with the current environmental issues, burning forests and unhealthy air qualities in major tourists destinations. 

• Like 3

It seems to me that if the 45 day visa was actually pulling in a substantial number of tourists over the 30 day one they would have kept it. I suspect the truth is it made little difference as the majority of tourists do not stay longer than 30 days anyway.

18 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

It seems to me that if the 45 day visa was actually pulling in a substantial number of tourists over the 30 day one they would have kept it.

It is not a 30-day visa.  🙄

10 hours ago, HiuMak said:

"The Thai government has not yet officially announced the change but is expected to do after Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting."

Thaiger make it official before the Government.😅

The cabinet meeting never materialised after parliament was dissolved beforehand.

"It is not a 30-day visa. "

OK visa exemption then, if you insist on being pedantic. I suspect most readers knew exactly what I meant.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisS said:

"It is not a 30-day visa. "

OK visa exemption then, if you insist on being pedantic. I suspect most readers knew exactly what I meant.

Being accurate isn't pedantic.

There are many differences between a visa and a vise-exemption, and when dealing with the legalities and technicalities on a forum that answers questions about them, keeping them identified correctly can be quite important.

• Haha 1