News Forum - Phuket crash kills foreigner, the 35th road death on island this year

Thaiger

Phuket’s number of road deaths reached 35 after a motorcycle crash killed a foreigner early this morning. The accident happened on Karon Beach Road on Phuket’s west coast at about 2.28am, according to Ruamjai Rescue Foundation. Rescuers and an EMS team arrived on the scene to find a garbage truck parked on the side of …

The story Phuket crash kills foreigner, the 35th road death on island this year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

24 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

2:28am, presumably alcohol was a factor, and likely no helmet

Very possible - and if the Phuket taxi mafia wasn't so insanely greedy, then he might have done what he would likely have done at home and take a taxi.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Very possible - and if the Phuket taxi mafia wasn't so insanely greedy, then he might have done what he would likely have done at home and take a taxi.  

Well, we'll never know now.... 😕

Let these foreigners who wanted to decide their own fate face it in the way the wish to. 
As long as he killed himself without injuring others then it is good enough. Let him have the way he wants to end his life. 

Not saying booze is not involved, but I would like to see how the street lighting was.
Also, what lights did that garbage truck have? Were the lights visible, or were they obscured (as I have seen before) by plasticc bags the workers attach at the rear to sepparare the garbage?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alavan said:

Not saying booze is not involved, but I would like to see how the street lighting was.
Also, what lights did that garbage truck have? Were the lights visible, or were they obscured (as I have seen before) by plasticc bags the workers attach at the rear to sepparare the garbage?

From the picture it is in front of the "Tsunami" Tower, a bit (100m?) north of Hilton Arcadia`s Beach entry. In the right/left chicane. Which even in daytime is a racetrack. 

But it is usually not that dark, they do have street lights all the way.

Also, there where the ambulances are parking is a parking/lay by lane. Unlikely, that a garbage truck would park on the road. Or that the light in the back is off, as long they are collecting AND checking the bags for plastic bottles. 

But in case they were on the way back to the incinerator, it might be a black hole in the night.

Just, honestly, my money would be on alcohol, no helmet, shorts and flip flops!

@Ramanathan.P. My wording goes:let Thais kill themselves as long as they don‘t involve innocent ppl. 

Unfortunately that happens  too often.

Drunk ,reckless driving.

Speeding, jumping red lights, killing pedestrians at crosswalks

And so on and on.

As you say"Let them have the way they want to end their life". 

My humble opinion: I find your comment xenophobic to the least.

I see it all the time when I am out in Phuket.

Every time a motorbike whizzes by, driving between cars and undertaking etc I think to myself 'that one' will not live too long, it has come true on a few occasions I have seen personally.

On 4/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, Totoro said:

@Ramanathan.P. My wording goes:let Thais kill themselves as long as they don‘t involve innocent ppl. 

Unfortunately that happens  too often.

Drunk ,reckless driving.

Speeding, jumping red lights, killing pedestrians at crosswalks

And so on and on.

As you say"Let them have the way they want to end their life". 

My humble opinion: I find your comment xenophobic to the least.

Oh no, it is the fashion these days to come up with a 'phobic' extension to a word if someone disagrees with what another person believes.

Maybe you are just an opinionaphobe? .

A silly word I know but no more silly than the other xxxphobe words banded about these days.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:31 PM, Guest1 said:

Just, honestly, my money would be on alcohol, no helmet, shorts and flip flops!

Worst bike accident I've seen in my life was at the huge roundabout near Rawai, about 10pm. I'm in a taxi and a guy (foreigner), no helmet, flip flops, blasts past us doing about 100km/h, and I have absolutely NO idea what this imbecile was on or what he was doing, but he didn't turn, and then didn't even TOUCH the brakes as he smashed into the side of a car, and flew over the hood and face first into the wire guard rail, and promptly died by decapitation. Brutal thing to witness, but at the same time I can't help my logical brain in concluding that he was asking for it...