News Forum - Hacker threatens to publish data of 55 million Thai citizens

Thaiger

A hacker, who goes by the pseudonym of 9Near, threatened to publicly release the personal data of 55 million Thai citizens unless the government contacts the cyberpunk by April 5. 9Near announced on the dark website BreachForums that he had stolen the personal data of 55 million Thai citizens from a government department and was …

The story Hacker threatens to publish data of 55 million Thai citizens as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

16 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

with a sample of 90 Thai citizens released to validate the threat.

90? As in ninety? 9x10? Clowns … Try a sample of 22.5 million with surnames redacted and the media might take it seriously. I have 0% confidence in the Thai government to keep personal data secure and while this hack is probable it seems far more likely to be a scam. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fanta said:

90? As in ninety? 9x10? Clowns … Try a sample of 22.5 million with surnames redacted and the media might take it seriously. I have 0% confidence in the Thai government to keep personal data secure and while this hack is probable it seems far more likely to be a scam. 

Yes, a 'sample' of 90 underwhelms...

However, is there anyone out there who thinks it wouldn't be possible to do a MAJOR hack on the Thai government? We have all seen the lax attitude displayed by government staff at every government office, and we have all seen the government computers still running Windows95, haven't we? Finally, does anyone think that "Somchai the Civil Servant" wouldn't agree to "lose" his password temporarily if the price were right?

I suspect that some sites (the Military, high-level Finance, etc.) are protected to global standards, but does anyone think that 'Security' is a priority to low-level flunky in Nakhon Nowhere? And, once inside the system...

It is getting harder and harder in this modern world, but I always try to keep information away from a Thai government or business computer.

I would say that a MAJOR hack is long overdue, if it hasn't already occurred and been covered up.

• Like 1