News Forum - Dutch woman arrested at Phuket Airport for illegally entering Thailand

Thaiger

A 28 year old Dutch woman was arrested at Phuket International Airport on the weekend for entering and staying in Thailand without permission or a visa. The unnamed woman was taken to Sakhu Police Station to face charges of entering and staying in Thailand illegally. It’s not clear how she managed to enter the kingdom. …

The story Dutch woman arrested at Phuket Airport for illegally entering Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

She could enter  for 30 days with no need for a visa before arrival, so I guess she was long stay doing doing border runs or working without a visa.

Two lines of this article are relevant to the headline. 

They didn't need the article, the headline said just about everything that those two lines did.

3 hours ago, Vigo said:

She could enter  for 30 days with no need for a visa before arrival, so I guess she was long stay doing doing border runs or working without a visa.

No, she didn't have any permit of stay stamp, therefore the question being how did she enter Thailand.

Unless there is neighboring country stamps on her passport, it is a mystery. She could have entered from Lao or Cambodia very easily 

4 hours ago, Faz said:

No, she didn't have any permit of stay stamp, therefore the question being how did she enter Thailand.

OK, I try again, because now I am  completely confused. She was  arrested at airport trying to enter  Thailand, yes? If so, she would receive.  stamp  when she went to immigration. Unless she was already in Thailand.

Maybe I am very thick here, but I don't get it. Yes, I understand she needed to have stamp & visa to be in thailand, but I  interpreted to mean she was entering country when  arrested.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

She was  arrested at airport trying to enter  Thailand, yes?

Not how I interpreted the story.

She arrived at Phuket airport, presumably to fly to a different destination, and they discovered she had no entry stamp. Hence, she was arrested, and the obvious questions are, how did she enter, and when.

There could be a simple answer, such as the entry IO forgot to stamp her passport, in which case they can check the database for her details, or she could have crossed the Mekong by boat from Lao and therefore entered illegally, and/or she could have been here 5 years on overstay.

More questions than answer at the moment.

She was arrested at the Immigration Checkpoint in the International Departure Terminal at the Phuket International Airport.

She was taken to the Sakoo Police Station to face charges of entering and staying in the country without a permit.

It was unclear how she had originally entered Thailand.

https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/03/27/dutch-woman-arrested-at-phuket-airport-for-entering-and-staying-in-thailand-without-proper-documents/

Edited by Faz
added more info.

9 hours ago, Faz said:

Not how I interpreted the story.

She arrived at Phuket airport, presumably to fly to a different destination, and they discovered she had no entry stamp. Hence, she was arrested, and the obvious questions are, how did she enter, and when.

There could be a simple answer, such as the entry IO forgot to stamp her passport, in which case they can check the database for her details, or she could have crossed the Mekong by boat from Lao and therefore entered illegally, and/or she could have been here 5 years on overstay.

More questions than answer at the moment.

https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/03/27/dutch-woman-arrested-at-phuket-airport-for-entering-and-staying-in-thailand-without-proper-documents/

Not unheard of. This is exactly what happened to my wife at the land crossing into Vientiane from Nong Khai. Fortunately for her it was just a short trip back across the bridge to get the necessary stamp.