News Forum - Following Chinese ransom case, Big Joke says Pattaya expats will be closely scrutinised

Thaiger

Assistant Commissioner of Police Surachate Hakparn, also known as ‘Big Joke’, says that foreign expats in Pattaya will be scrutinised closely as part of Operation X-ray. This news follows the recent case in which a Chinese woman was abducted in Pattaya as she went to get her child from school, and demanded 1 million yuan …

The story Following Chinese ransom case, Big Joke says Pattaya expats will be closely scrutinised as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Just install the face detection CCTV system. All the culprits can be easily fished out

I don’t think anyone wants any invasion oof being snooped on continually. The next step from that is every time it catches you live it records your movements. And that is not freedom and quality of life.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 7:08 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I don’t think anyone wants any invasion oof being snooped on continually. The next step from that is every time it catches you live it records your movements. And that is not freedom and quality of life.

I wish I could share your optimism (about what people want) because I fully agree with your sentiment/insight.

Employing CCTV & FR to identify perpetrators of major crimes seems (and arguably is) acceptable, but the ultimate and very realistic risk is that the available technology enables a convergence into a permanent surveillance of all people at all places at all times. Once that (gradually) happens and no counter-acting privacy-guarding laws are established, even the tiniest of deviations can and will be stamped out. Society will devolve into a composition of dummy puppet masters and dummy puppets.

" foreign expats in Pattaya will be scrutinised closely as part of Operation X-ray."

That should produce a few arrests however if they closely scrutinised public officials and the Thai Police that would produce hundreds if not thousands of arrests.

54 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

I wish I could share your optimism (about what people want) because I fully agree with your sentiment/insight.

Employing CCTV & FR to identify perpetrators of major crimes seems (and arguably is) acceptable, but the ultimate and very realistic risk is that the available technology enables a convergence into a permanent surveillance of all people at all places at all times. Once that (gradually) happens and no counter-acting privacy-guarding laws are established, even the tiniest of deviations can and will be stamped out. Society will devolve into a composition of dummy puppet masters and dummy puppets.

Yes huge potential of ugliness.Years back 7-11 was going to install AI so they could use it to target customers and what they typically buy. If anything like this happens then time for everyone to wear a hat and Groucho Marx novelty glasses.