France Macron announced vaccine passports and other things.

Yep - this is going to happen more and more all over the world. Until at least the pandemic is over. I want to travel back to Thailand and other countries, so the decision to get vaccinated was easy as it was mainly based on that want.  Agree or not - you cannot take a pair of nail clippers onto a plane these days - same thing will be applicable for being vaccinated. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - this is going to happen more and more all over the world. Until at least the pandemic is over. I want to travel back to Thailand and other countries, so the decision to get vaccinated was easy as it was mainly based on that want.  Agree or not - you cannot take a pair of nail clippers onto a plane these days - same thing will be applicable for being vaccinated. 

'Until at least the pandemic is over'

Wrong it will never go away, they will take more and more ur freedoms.

Afer 9/11 they set some laws temp but they still today.

Covid passports don't make any logical sense as both vaxed and unvaxed can get infected and spread it.

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

You won't get into a cafe without a passport, either. When the French realized that there was a rush for the clinics.

Yup my 2nd pic about that.

There's yellow west protest already. 

It's unconstitutional to not allow free movement in a country. Criminals

9 hours ago, Xaos said:

'Until at least the pandemic is over'

Wrong it will never go away, they will take more and more ur freedoms.

Afer 9/11 they set some laws temp but they still today.

Covid passports don't make any logical sense as both vaxed and unvaxed can get infected and spread it.

Agree - but the pandemic will eventually be declared 'under control' - meaning that it will be an acceptable level of infections.  The impositions imposed however will not all be removed - many will remain for our lifetimes. And just like the idiocy of not allowing nail clippers on a plane but allowing pens, will remain in place. They will have the 'evidence' to show that vaxed people are far less likely to be infected and contagious than non-vaxed people. There will be no absolute proof of course because that would mean putting vaxed and non-vaxed people into a controlled environment and deliberately exposing them to the virus (all mutations). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

putting vaxed and non-vaxed people into a controlled environment and deliberately exposing them to the virus (all mutations). 

Well, that would be one way to fill up the Sandbox hotels...

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:21 AM, AussieBob said:

Yep - this is going to happen more and more all over the world. Until at least the pandemic is over

Or until Macron is voted out in May 2022 :)

Thing is... it will be virtually impossible to impose a "authorized for emergency usage" vaccine as mandatory in most of the "free" world

Which is why even in the US Military it cannot be made mandatory & in fact many at this time have refused it.

Right or wrongly I have no idea but...

Take a look at Gibraltar who back in April achieved basically a 100% adult vaccinated level. Yet the other day they ranked quite high in per capita rate of new infections

Even in the US we have recently seen many fully vaccinated cases now reinfected with the Delta Variant

Very confusing times for everyone.. But as others have said the pandemic never goes away & none before this one did either. Instead they became endemic & our systems cope with them

How the Covid pandemic ends: Scientists look to the past to see the future

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Meechai said:

Or until Macron is voted out in May 2022 :)

Thing is... it will be virtually impossible to impose a "authorized for emergency usage" vaccine as mandatory in most of the "free" world

Which is why even in the US Military it cannot be made mandatory & in fact many at this time have refused it.

Right or wrongly I have no idea but...

Take a look at Gibraltar who back in April achieved basically a 100% adult vaccinated level. Yet the other day they ranked quite high in per capita rate of new infections

Even in the US we have recently seen many fully vaccinated cases now reinfected with the Delta Variant

Very confusing times for everyone.. But as others have said the pandemic never goes away & none before this one did either. Instead they became endemic & our systems cope with them

How the Covid pandemic ends: Scientists look to the past to see the future

Those numbers from the US about re-infected cases following a vaccine, are not totally valid and have been taken out of context. They yet to have the full analysis - that will take a long time and until then it is anecdotel.  Same for the anecdotal statements that most patients now entering ICU are people who have not been vaccinated. That may be right or wrong - but there is evidence to show that being vaccinated will reduce the severity of the medical problems following being infected. What is also anecdotal is that Covid is mutating at a higher rate that influenza and that is why new strains are able to 'get past' some vaccines more easily than others. 

All in all there is no answer or solution - in my opinion the best bet is to get vaccinated - but that is up to each person.  The reason covid hits the elderly and those with underlying complications is because their immune systems and the general health of their organs is not as strong as others. That is why every year there is another flu vaccine and each fly vaccine is different for age groups.

I would bet that if there was an analysis and research done, that those who smoked a lot and drank alcohol a lot, did worse when infected by covid, than those that did not. That is a very anecdotal statement, but it does have some rational and in my opinion is more likely to be true than false. But there has been no research done on that (yet), they are far too busy doing other things. The health profession has been saying for decades not to smoke or drink to excess - but some people will see an 80 year old who smokes and drinks - and say that the medical professionals are all wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Tornado said:

What is so scary about the vaccine and why are Covid passports outrageous in some venues? In the country I live most are vaccinated, unfortunately in the beginning they brought Sinovac but those people are being encouraged to get a Pfizer booster. We average about 1500 cases per day with less then a handful of deaths. I think we must live with the virus for a while, but lets keep our economies moving. I look at Thailand and it reminds me of what we went through in the beginning of 2020, were they not watching our countries? Pfizer should give the protocols to an ASEAN nation to manufacture the vaccine for ASEAN nations, they can't keep up with global demand and if I see one more nation meet with Biden in the USA begging for the vaccine I will vomit, he acts like he's Father Christmas. ?

The books that will come out on the geopolitical ramifications of vaccine diplomacy will fill libraries. China tried and it was working until - as you point out - everybody found out their vaccines didn't. Russia tried with Sputnik V and the entire planet was like: "Russia? Not a chance." Which left the US and Europe of which only the US had anything to give away. So, the attitude you're seeing is not so much "Father Christmas", but, "Who's your daddy, now?".

The manufacturing thing is a whole 'nother can of worms. I'm old enough to remember that exactly <checks notes> eight months ago nobody knew if or for how long any of the vaccines would work. There were no real-world performance data. Couple that with the one to two year lead time needed to build up an mRNA production facility and the idea that Pfizer could give the protocols to the world and we could start spitting out vaccines like aspirin by next Saturday falls flat.

Back in the early days people started flinging money (Gates Foundation, et al.) at new manufacturing facilities. One in the US has still not been able to get to full production (J&J) and others are still being built.

But to your first point, I think we're looking at a time - for a while anyway - that a vaccine passport will be mandatory. But somebody's got to go first and not a country (as France is finding out) but a business. So if Disney suddenly said "Oh, you want to go to Disney World? Let's see your Vaxx card"; that would be a big enough domino to get everybody behind it.