News Forum - Monks on drugs: two monks busted at abandoned Phuket hotel

Thaiger

For the umpteenth time in Thailand, monks have been busted for having a little too much fun. Two monks were found at an abandoned Phuket hotel on Tuesday, with both testing positive for illegal drugs. A village headman and a head monk found the monks at the abandoned hotel in Thalang district. The monks were …

The story Monks on drugs: two monks busted at abandoned Phuket hotel as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Try discussing Buddhism with Thais and you will find that a lot of them have only very hazy concepts of what it is about - but then again, the same can be said about a lot of the followers of all of the major religions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Try discussing Buddhism with Thais and you will find that a lot of them have only very hazy concepts of what it is about - but then again, the same can be said about a lot of the followers of all of the major religions.

Most Thais I know seem to only pray to Buddha for something they want

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Most Thais I know seem to only pray to Buddha for something they want

Even Christianity is praying for something they want or think will get out of it. Go to Heaven, insight, protection. Religion is always for something to get out of it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Even Christianity is praying for something they want or think will get out of it. Go to Heaven, insight, protection. Religion is always for something to get out of it. 

I hate religion and I REALLY hate Christianity

But I wouldn't agree with that assessment...........

But that is just my opinion

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I mean it would be on a low % of people who go to church because they actually like it and it only makes them feel good, but even that still has a moniker of no go and no go to heaven. You get something out of it, but just in a different aspect of the Thai you were saying and the reason that they go to temples. I just put a different twist on it. I hate churches and rarely go to temples except on like birthdays and special occasions.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Faith as a personal thing, I don't have an issue with, although anyone trying to convert me into believing in their particular sky fairy is going to have to accept my ridicule. What I do have a problem with is people who want to use their religion - be it the Pilgrim Fathers or the Taliban - to force their beliefs and customs onto everone else.

• Like 2

Please, this has nothing to do with religion or "monks" per se and is all about drug addiction. The monks were most likely  addicts before they became monks and were sent to wat in an attempt to clean them up. I doubt they became druggies because they were monks. Give credit to head monk and village head for putting a stop to this. It is unfair to blame all the monks and religion for acts of a few sick people.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Please, this has nothing to do with religion or "monks" per se and is all about drug addiction. The monks were most likely  addicts before they became monks and were sent to wat in an attempt to clean them up. I doubt they became druggies because they were monks. Give credit to head monk and village head for putting a stop to this. It is unfair to blame all the monks and religion for acts of a few sick people.

Which leads me back to my first post on this and question: Now why did these naughty guys become monks in the first place? Doesn't seem like from true faith.

9 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Faith as a personal thing, I don't have an issue with, although anyone trying to convert me into believing in their particular sky fairy is going to have to accept my ridicule. What I do have a problem with is people who want to use their religion - be it the Pilgrim Fathers or the Taliban - to force their beliefs and customs onto everone else.

I agree 100% with you

My sister is very involved with the Church

And although I do believe that's hypocritical with a lot of her right wing beliefs

I do actually respect her devotion to it