News Forum - Thailand to build 7 new airports

Thaiger

The Department of Airports (DOA) plans to spend 50 billion baht on the development of seven new regional airports in around Thailand, in Nakhon Pathom, Bueng Khan, Mukdahan, Kalasin, Phayao, Phatthalung and Satun provinces, reports DailyNews. The department wants to boost connectivity and provide more travel options for Thais and foreign tourists. New airports around …

The story Thailand to build 7 new airports as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Guess they didn't learn their lesson after Betong.

Living in the South, I can't imagine airports in Phatthalung or Satun doing enough business to warrant having an airport there.

• Like 2

Is this another Minister's way of buying votes, perhaps?  There's no economic sense for additional commuter airports in those locations.

• Like 4

Talk to the airlines first about their demand forecasts.  I can't believe that the numbers stack up and if they don't, the airports will just end up as wild life sanctuaries and birds don't generally need runways.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

They never learn their lessons, but then again, neither do the muppet planners in the UK (HS2) . 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

They never learn their lessons, but then again, neither do the muppet planners in the UK (HS2) . 

Possibly all the same reasons as HS2, as well. Such as vote buying, contracts awarded to generous contributors to party funds, fat one day a month "consultancy" fees.

• Like 2

PM's from Korat, interesting that didn't make the list for some kind of upgrade or flat out construction a new, modest sized multi-use facility on the RTAF airbase. 

All previous air service attempts at the existing Korat airport, which local opinion leans toward being a bit too far outside the main population areas, have failed.  The latest attempted start-up is planned from the RTAF airbase, situated much closer to the main city/residential areas.   Have to see how that pans out, if it comes to fruition at all.   

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Fix the problems with existing airports first please

What are the problems with the existing airports?

I've hit almost all but the Isaan ones and never had any issues 

What the heck!!!  High speed electric trains are the way to go, Thailand going all EV by 2030-2035.  Spent the billions of baht on building new Dams, hydroelectric power plants , solar, and wind farms etc....   More sustainable economy is best... Airplanes and air travel is expensive and polluting.  Think progress, not more of the same

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What are the problems with the existing airports?

I've hit almost all but the Isaan ones and never had any issues 

Good question and I will refresh memories with   a recap of past issues; Old /not modern ATC equipment, inadequate staffing /training of ATC,  runway congestion especially at HKT, inadequate staffing of immigration/customs/baggage handling at key entry hubs, need for updated overall radar and communication system for through traffic on air routes.

Adding smaller airports doesn't address some of the underlying issues. However, if they could upgrade  Surat Thani and an off island airport near HKT, it would help. Ideally, some investment in Hua Hin airport would be a decisive factor in supporting tourism. Even if they relocated airport to  south end of Hua Hin it would be fantastic.

10 hours ago, Vigo said:

Good question and I will refresh memories with   a recap of past issues; Old /not modern ATC equipment, inadequate staffing /training of ATC,  runway congestion especially at HKT, inadequate staffing of immigration/customs/baggage handling at key entry hubs, need for updated overall radar and communication system for through traffic on air routes.

Adding smaller airports doesn't address some of the underlying issues. However, if they could upgrade  Surat Thani and an off island airport near HKT, it would help. Ideally, some investment in Hua Hin airport would be a decisive factor in supporting tourism. Even if they relocated airport to  south end of Hua Hin it would be fantastic.

I have only flown out internationally once out of Samui

The rest in/out BKK

So I have never really dealt with any of that in any airport besides BKK

But I find flying domestically in Thailand rather easy and pleasurable..............

On 3/21/2023 at 5:18 AM, MrStretch said:

Living in the South, I can't imagine airports in Phatthalung or Satun doing enough business to warrant having an airport there.

Another one, like Narathiwat! And that has a border near by! Perhaps someone had land to sell and another someone is getting kick backs for this.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:18 PM, MrStretch said:

7 more white elephants.

• Like 2