News Forum - Phuket thief nabs German tourist’s mobile phone

Thaiger

There’s been another theft against a tourist in Thailand, this time in Phuket. A Phuket thief nabbed a German tourist’s mobile phone yesterday morning. The thief snatched the victim’s mobile phone on Soi Cherng Talay. The victim was a 56 year old German man named Haugg Fred. After receiving report at around 9.50am, Cherng Talay …

The story Phuket thief nabs German tourist’s mobile phone as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is always advisable to use cheap outdated handphones when travelling for vacation to other countries.  Such cheap phones are untouchables for these thieves. And the phone is safe with the owner. End of the day it is only for communication when needed. As long as the phone can serve that purpose it should be reasonably acceptable

9 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is always advisable to use cheap outdated handphones when travelling for vacation to other countries.  Such cheap phones are untouchables for these thieves. And the phone is safe with the owner. End of the day it is only for communication when needed. As long as the phone can serve that purpose it should be reasonably acceptable

What about if we are staying here for an extended amount of time, eg a year or two, we will need an up-to-date phone.

I might take your advice though and leave my car at the house in Phuket and travel by roller skates as no one will want to steal them. 😀

• Haha 1

Yes, yes... it is the victims fault for having a nice phone to begin with... if only the victims wouldn't be in public with nice things then the thieves wouldn't steal.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

What about if we are staying here for an extended amount of time, eg a year or two, we will need an up-to-date phone.

Why so often? My last phone did best part of six years service, and only got replaced because the version of Android didn't support some apps that I needed to install. 

8 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Why so often? My last phone did best part of six years service, and only got replaced because the version of Android didn't support some apps that I needed to install. 

I replied to the comment "...........It is always advisable to use cheap outdated handphones ......"

I need mine to work, if it becomes outdated eg it does not work with the latest IOS apps I need then it is useless.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 12:59 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

I foolishly trusted the phone holder on my MB rental 

Hit a pothole and my 40k baht phone went flying

Bought a 4k phone to use for rest of trip

And will take that phone with me whenever I travel going forward 

40 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I foolishly trusted the phone holder on my MB rental 

Hit a pothole and my 40k baht phone went flying

Bought a 4k phone to use for rest of trip

And will take that phone with me whenever I travel going forward 

Look on the bright side, a phone you can replace, a broken body you can not.😃

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JamesR said: