News Forum - LTR visa lures just 2,920 applicants in four months

Thaiger

Despite claims of being able to lure one million expats in five years – which averages to 200,000 a year, or just under 17,000 per month – the actual figures in the first few months have fallen flat. Thailand’s new long-term resident (LTR) visa has attracted almost 3,000 foreign applicants in the four months since …

The story LTR visa lures just 2,920 applicants in four months as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"It also grants them access to certain privileges, such as the right to purchase a condominium and the ability to open a bank account." 

Coz no one could do that before.... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just a slightly different POV from the cheerleading Phuket News which touted "Thai Government Continues to Woo Wealthy, Capable Foreigners".

Like so many other TAT "plans" or proposals, this has fallen flat.  I am continually astounded that this branch of the government holds so many people that haven't a clue on how to properly create a program that actually meets the goals it announces.

• Like 3

It also grants them access to certain privileges, such as the right to purchase a condominium and the ability to open a bank account.

I opened two bank accounts without any kind of visa (just having visa examption).

• Like 3

Thailand is trying to sell itself as a very desirable location when the truth is far from that . The moment humility will enter and they realize that it's just another location among many others, things might take a turn for the better.  One can try to become an exclusive, only for the rich and wealthy destination, but the competition is stiff and well prepared. Maybe just lower the expectations to a more realistic level and cater for a more loyal and permanent visitor and would be resident. For example, there would be no danger into allowing foreigners to buy land. For example up to one rai. Or even making it easier for foreigners to work. Nobody can be seriously thinking that foreigners will take away Thai jobs. This is more about symbolism then anything else.

• Like 2

Sadly there is a very real disconnect between the department that creates these programs and the real world. The expectation that millions will want to come to base themselves here is nowadays not quite as true as it probably once was.

Reading through the conditions I honestly can't see anything at all that would make anyone want to apply - they are onerous, to say the least!

• Like 2

Want wealthy foreigners to stay in Thailand?  Ask them what they want and then GIVE IT TO THEM.  It's not that hard.  I would at least like to own the house I live in (since I'm the one who bought it) and be able to bring  money into the country on a regular basis.  So what does the government do?  It blocks foreigner access to PayPal and prohibits real property ownership by expats.  Good going, guys.  Excellent work.  A gold star for you.

• Like 2