News Forum - Officials warn against Phuket flight price gouging

Thaiger

If you are frustrated at the rising costs of airfare to Phuket, you’re not the only one. The popular resort island has been facing complaints from tourists regarding rising airfare prices during the high season. In response, the Provincial Public-Private Joint Economic Development Committee has warned airlines against overcharging customers for flights to Phuket, especially …

The story Officials warn against Phuket flight price gouging as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

How about the rip off fares that Bangkok Airways charge for flights to Samui because they have a monopoly on the route and don’t allow any other carriers to compete with them. 

• Like 1

So they can control price gouging by the airlines, but appear to be totally unable to control price gouging by the local taxi mafias and the hotels. 

Local flights to Phuket should be the least of their worries. Try doing something about international flights to Bangkok. Utterly crazy to and from Europe at the moment.  

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Local flights to Phuket should be the least of their worries. Try doing something about international flights to Bangkok. Utterly crazy to and from Europe at the moment.  

Agreed.  I just paid £1800 return with Qatar from Hungary to Bangkok for 10 days over Songkran.

Crazy.

3 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Agreed.  I just paid £1800 return with Qatar from Hungary to Bangkok for 10 days over Songkran.

Crazy.

I don’t know why this isn’t more of a news story. If anyone is price gouging it’s the main carriers. BA are still not even bothering with direct flights to Bangkok from London. Everything is code share with Qatar and everything is 30%-90% more the 2019 priced. 

23 hours ago, Soidog said:

It does suck that Thailand domestic flights now get expensive as the departure date nears like in US

I severely miss the days you didn't have to plan anything and just go to travel agent and book a flight for the next day

Or even just rock up to the airport 

I hate making plans 

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It does suck that Thailand domestic flights now get expensive as the departure date nears like in US

I severely miss the days you didn't have to plan anything and just go to travel agent and book a flight for the next day

I hate making plans 

You’re jist pulling my chain now mate. You know how I loathe airlines and their attitude towards what they laughingly call customers😂

Not only do they charge you more as the date arrives which they claim is due to “cheaper seats” being no longer available. They now charge you more if you visit the website on more than one occasion. Doesn’t always happen, but it’s not uncommon to find you get a price of say 2,300 baht, go back to the site 15 mins later and it’s gone up to 2,500 baht.

There is so much wrong with airline ticketing policies that needs to be sorted. I don’t know why a flight from Bangkok return to London is cheaper than London to Bangkok return. Maybe they move relative to each other on the planet! 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I hate making plans 

Airlines worldwide have been doing that for decades, pricing according to supply and demand - the opposite can be true, if a flight has a lot of unsold seats close to the date then they will start to reduce the price. I used  to provide IT support to the people and systems that enabled that at British Airways, actually quite sophisticated semi-automated systems for 25 years back.

4 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Airlines worldwide have been doing that for decades, pricing according to supply and demand - the opposite can be true, if a flight has a lot of unsold seats close to the date then they will start to reduce the price. I used  to provide IT support to the people and systems that enabled that at British Airways, actually quite sophisticated semi-automated systems for 25 years back.

Yes I know and I am lamenting that Thailand has now caught up to the rest of the world

Now it is still very affordable to fly domestically in Thailand 

Cheap actually 

If you book ahead

I just miss the days of not having to book ahead