News Forum - ‘Eat more rice!’ Thai officials tell youth

Thaiger

“Eat more rice!” Thai officials are telling the country’s youth. The Thai Commerce Ministry wants young people to eat more rice. The ministry launched a campaign after a study showed that Thailand’s consumption of rice had fallen. The department launched the “Thai Kids Enjoy Thai Rice” roadshow, visiting 10 schools and weekend markets, Nation Thailand …

The story ‘Eat more rice!’ Thai officials tell youth as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Even though rice is the staple for Asians, eating more rice is not good for health unless those eating rice are doing heavy manual work which emits some heavy sweating. These rice are mostly carbohydrate and will be deposited in the body if not burned. Further the bleached rice is not good for health as all the vitamins are being stripped off. The more white the rice looks, the more it lacks vitamins. Parboiled rice is the best for consumption. Eating more white rice will eventually increase blood sugar level once the person reaches old age. Rice should be only quarter portion and the rest should be vegetables and fish. Of course little meat may be 1/8th of the portion. That is the healthy food. 

If the production is more, then look for export market. Just reduce the price and compete in the open market. That is the best option to even out the production and consumption. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Even though rice is the staple for Asians, eating more rice is not good for health unless those eating rice are doing heavy manual work which emits some heavy sweating. These rice are mostly carbohydrate and will be deposited in the body if not burned. Further the bleached rice is not good for health as all the vitamins are being stripped off. The more white the rice looks, the more it lacks vitamins. Parboiled rice is the best for consumption. Eating more white rice will eventually increase blood sugar level once the person reaches old age. Rice should be only quarter portion and the rest should be vegetables and fish. Of course little meat may be 1/8th of the portion. That is the healthy food. 

If the production is more, then look for export market. Just reduce the price and compete in the open market. That is the best option to even out the production and consumption. 

Should be called stripped instead of bleached. Proper term is milled. Been to way too many rice mills here big and small. Carbs, protein, potassium, calcium are biggest for white, and add iron and fiber for brown with slightly higher numbers for the others listed. Still a staple for food. There are other nationals in them but if you see the lab result read outs they do not have to be put on to packaging.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Somkiat added that eating Thai rice was important for preserving Thai culture for future generations.

That statement is mind-blowingly antithetical to how normal/agenda-less people think; it amounts to "we're defined by what we eat, and that's important." Wow!

If anyone would try to capture the essence of being Thai as "eating rice", I'd almost surely go as extreme as raising an eyebrow.

1 minute ago, Chatogaster said:

That statement is mind-blowingly antithetical to how normal/agenda-less people think; it amounts to "we're defined by what we eat, and that's important." Wow!

If anyone would try to capture the essence of being Thai as "eating rice", I'd almost surely go as extreme as raising an eyebrow.

But it is.....

My wife is pretty good at eating any good, unlike a lot of Thai girls

But if we are traveling she has to have rice at least every other day

If anything I think rice is one of the defining traits of their culture 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But it is.....

My wife is pretty good at eating any good, unlike a lot of Thai girls

But if we are traveling she has to have rice at least every other day

If anything I think rice is one of the defining traits of their culture 

I can't really disgree with that, it's just a matter of weights I assign to certain qualifications.  Things like "consumption distribution", "skin color distribution", "length distribution" are all superficial and of no importance (to me).

When it comes to mindset (something I do care about), Thais fall into diametrical categories, e.g. "I care" vs. "whatever, it's up to them", or "live and let live/sabaai sabaai/mai pen rai" (a majority) vs. "I'm insulted, so now you suffer" (a minority).

At the core, I don't care about cultures, only about mindsets. For the past couple of decades, Thailand has done a lot towards blending in with the rest of the world (via laws), and it will continue to do so. Some loss of identity is inevitable. I just hope that the mindset that I appreciate survives.

10 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

I can't really disgree with that, it's just a matter of weights I assign to certain qualifications.  Things like "consumption distribution", "skin color distribution", "length distribution" are all superficial and of no importance (to me).

When it comes to mindset (something I do care about), Thais fall into diametrical categories, e.g. "I care" vs. "whatever, it's up to them", or "live and let live/sabaai sabaai/mai pen rai" (a majority) vs. "I'm insulted, so now you suffer" (a minority).

At the core, I don't care about cultures, only about mindsets. For the past couple of decades, Thailand has done a lot towards blending in with the rest of the world (via laws), and it will continue to do so. Some loss of identity is inevitable. I just hope that the mindset that I appreciate survives.

I think the impetus for the Govt push was the same we do in the West where we lament that we don't have family dinners anymore

Funny enough we were in the village tonight and they were saying our 7 year old niece doesn't like to eat rice.

They had no idea about this news story 

The thing is she was stoked to go eat pizza today with us

My wife never tasted pizza until she was in her 20's

Times have changed 

All around the world