News Forum - Thailand’s tourist entry fee to generate 3.9 billion baht this year

Thaiger

Thailand is expected to gain 3.9 billion baht (US$112 million) in revenue this year by charging tourists an entry fee beginning June 1, Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said yesterday. Last week, Thailand’s Cabinet approved the collection of an entry fee from all foreign tourists, effective June 1. Foreigners arriving by air will be charged 300 …

The story Thailand’s tourist entry fee to generate 3.9 billion baht this year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Even though it is a good initiative to provide insurance coverage to tourists who need during emergency in Thailand when travelling, the details are yet to be seen. However those who cross via land or sea might have some other concerns as some are also having their own travel insurance coverage, especially via land crossing in their own vehicle. In that case it is multiple insurance coverage or only one insurance coverage which is the highest? Clarity is needed.

I am not a "tourist".  I live here with a non-imm "O" visa.  I have my insurance.  Why should I ahve to pay this fee?

Edited by dbeatty333

Airlines cannot offer differential pricing based on nationality so I would imagine everyone will pay this charge, including Thai nationals. Ticket prices can vary by tens of thousands of baht depending on airline and time of year so 300 baht simply isn’t going to be noticed. The U.K.’s air passenger duty is already about 12 times higher for outward long haul flights. 

Edited by Leeshard

For the average tourist, this fee is insignificant. But to a great many who travel here on a regular basis, it’s the government’s rude way of telling you  “you must Pay us to come here and spend your money”

Could someone advise me please?

The new fee is going to be added to the airfare but I have already booked, paid for and have return ticket to UK which lands after the start date of the fee.  When I booked the ticket the fee was not in force but when I return it will be.

Any ideas on how this will be handled?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, dbeatty333 said:

I am not a "tourist".  I live here with a non-imm "O" visa.  I have my insurance.  Why should I ahve to pay this fee?

Because you're an 'alien' and only have temporary permission of stay.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Could someone advise me please?

The new fee is going to be added to the airfare but I have already booked, paid for and have return ticket to UK which lands after the start date of the fee.  When I booked the ticket the fee was not in force but when I return it will be.

Any ideas on how this will be handled?  Thanks.

I'm sure the new fee will only apply to round trip flights booked from June 1st.

50 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Airlines cannot offer differential pricing based on nationality so I would imagine everyone will pay this charge, including Thai nationals.

Correct.
Those exempt the fee, Thais, foreigners with work permits, will be able to reclaim the fee.

45 minutes ago, BJoe said:

For the average tourist, this fee is insignificant. But to a great many who travel here on a regular basis, it’s the government’s rude way of telling you  “you must Pay us to come here and spend your money”

Don't you have to pay to travel anywhere?

On 2/21/2023 at 11:24 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

Even though it is a good initiative to provide insurance coverage to tourists who need during emergency in Thailand when travelling, the details are yet to be seen.

Do you think they'll issue an Insurance policy?

What they mean, in effect, is 360 million will be offset to compensate government hospital's unpaid bills from tourists who otherwise did not provide their own Insurance.

2 hours ago, dbeatty333 said:

You shouldn’t have to pay it. However, this is not a tourist tax, it’s a foreigner tax. It’s just the spin the Thai government are placing on it to keep foreign embassies and Human Rights groups quiet. 

• Like 3

I might just take a trip out to Vietnam and then come back to be covered. Gotta go there anyway soon. 300 baht is a drop in a bucket. Why complain. And I think it will not be subject to only round trip tickets. Will be straight across the board coverage, well at least should be and ongoing valid as long as you stay here.

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I might just take a trip out to Vietnam and then come back to be covered.

Don't forget to ask for the Travel Insurance policy on arrival 🥱

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I might just take a trip out to Vietnam and then come back to be covered. Gotta go there anyway soon. 300 baht is a drop in a bucket. Why complain. And I think it will not be subject to only round trip tickets. Will be straight across the board coverage, well at least should be and ongoing valid as long as you stay here.

It’s hard to imagine a situation whereby you could do a short trip to Vietnam or Cambodia and re-enter to pay the 300 baht and then have medical insurance for the next 5 years. I’m sure any insurance associated with this will have a limited time period of perhaps 60 days maximum. 

2 hours ago, Leeshard said:

Airlines cannot offer differential pricing based on nationality so I would imagine everyone will pay this charge, including Thai nationals. Ticket prices can vary by tens of thousands of baht depending on airline and time of year so 300 baht simply isn’t going to be noticed. The U.K.’s air passenger duty is already about 12 times higher for outward long haul flights. 

Good point. Ryanair in Ireland got into trouble with the EU when they started to charge non-EU nationals to examine their passports at check-in. You paid extra if you were non-EU. EU said it was discriminatory. 

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s hard to imagine a situation whereby you could do a short trip to Vietnam or Cambodia and re-enter to pay the 300 baht and then have medical insurance for the next 5 years. I’m sure any insurance associated with this will have a limited time period of perhaps 60 days maximum. 

Yeah was just a post in passing. Wait and see what they propose as I can travel very easily across borders or fly out as I do have things going on in Vietnam and Cambodia. Who knows what they will print out as the rules and who knows the limit imposed on it. One thing I read via an insurance company was it is capped at 500k.

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah was just a post in passing. Wait and see what they propose as I can travel very easily across borders or fly out as I do have things going on in Vietnam and Cambodia. Who knows what they will print out as the rules and who knows the limit imposed on it. One thing I read via an insurance company was it is capped at 500k.

To be honest, I’m not expecting anything to come from this in terms of any useful insurance. There may be a fund set aside to compensate Thai hospitals who lose out as a result of foreigners not paying, but I can’t see this being an actual travel insurance policy worth anything much? I’m just assuming it will be like the existing 700 baht we are already paying and just topping this up by 300 baht. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbeatty333 said:

Because Thailand wants you to. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Faz said:

Do you think they'll issue an Insurance policy?

What they mean, in effect, is 360 million will be offset to compensate government hospital's unpaid bills from tourists who otherwise did not provide their own Insurance.

So basically it is an eyewash to say that they are providing insurance coverage......hope my understanding is correct. 

5 hours ago, dbeatty333 said:

You stay here with your temporary non-imm O visa just like the rest of us who have such temporary visas.

When the term expires you will then have to get the visa extended for another year if you pass the annual tests and have stuck to the visa extension rules, just like the rest of us.

I had the same visa extended for a year yesterday but I know I am not a resident. 

We are just allowed to be here longer than the average tourist as far as I can see and the rules can change at any time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

So basically it is an eyewash to say that they are providing insurance coverage......hope my understanding is correct. 

As already stated, it's just the spin the Thai authorities put on it.

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

As already stated, it's just the spin the Thai authorities put on it.

I was going to go to have a Big Mac meal today but I have decided to just have the french-fries and save the rest of the money and put it towards the 300 baht fee. 

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

You stay here with your temporary non-imm O visa just like the rest of us who have such temporary visas.

When the term expires you will then have to get the visa extended for another year if you pass the annual tests and have stuck to the visa extension rules, just like the rest of us.

I had the same visa extended for a year yesterday but I know I am not a resident. 

Your Visa has a limited validity in which to enter Thailand.
When you entered Thailand on your Non O visa, it was 'used'.
It's only purpose thereafter is to denote you entered as a Non Immigrant and have that status as such, as opposed to being classed as entering as a Tourist.

You cannot extend a visa.
On entry, the Immigration officer stamped your passport, permitting you a stay of 90 days.
It is that 'permit' of stay you extended for 365 days yesterday at your local Immigration office, not your visa, which was issued by the Thai Embassy in your Country of residence.

If you read the TM7 form you submit and the declaration you sign acknowledging the terms and conditions of your 'permit' application, it's abundantly clear you are applying for a 'permit' of temporary stay in the kingdom of Thailand.

Regardless of whether the status of a tourist or a Non Immigrant is irrelevant, as this fee is applicable to all 'foreigners' and 'Thais' entering Thailand through airline charges.
Only Thai nationals, foreigners with PR status, or Non Immigrant status with a work permit will be permitted to reclaim this additional entry fee.