News Forum - The most common complaint about Bangkok taxi drivers is…

Thaiger

Bangkok dwellers are not happy with the city’s taxi drivers. Since new taxi fares came into effect on January 16, there have been over 2,000 passenger complaints about taxi drivers in Bangkok, with the biggest proportion of them concerning cabbies’ rejection of passengers, according to the Land Transport Department. Of the 2,120 complaints, 720 concerned …

The story The most common complaint about Bangkok taxi drivers is… as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

For me is too many of them talk too much if they know you speak Thai or if their English is ok. But that is usually going a pretty big distance like to the airport or say like a convention center. But it is the night time taxi that are the biggest pain in the rear-end depending on where you get them for trying to extort a higher fee for a short trip and plainly not using the meter.

Biggest problem I have with them is when they fall asleep at the wheel. Several times I have had to shake one awake after a short stop at traffic lights or a junction

Waiting in front the king palace, not a single taxi driver was willing to switch on the meter. Not 1. All they do is stop, ask where you want to go and mention a price, way too high.

Dear Khun Tara,

Thank you very much for your article. I am a USA Citizen, living in central Bangkok in retirement for the past 17 years. I previously worked in Thailand for 9 years. The taxi situation on refusing customers (because they don't like the destinations) is getting worse, and currently is the worst in my 26 years in Thailand.  How do we make them accountable??  Should we take pictures of the taxi number and report the instances??   Where should we sent the pictures??  This situation is sadly hurting the good taxi drivers, since many people are starting to use Grab, because of the frequent customer refusals.

Thanks again,

Jim Williams

• Like 1

The Thai metered taxi operators need to ask themselves why they are seeing ride hailing apps take so much of their market. Yes, price is one factor, but for me, and I suspect very many others, the most important thing is knowing the price up-front, rather than having to go through the rigmarole of "meter broken" "traffic very bad" and all the other tiresome attempts to overcharge.

• Like 2

Grab and Bolt in either Bangkok or Pattaya. Amazing service and prices which are stated at the time of booking. Wouldn’t dream of using a yellow and green cab. 

• Like 1