News Forum - Long-tail boats with roofs pulled after several capsized

Thaiger

After two deaths and many injuries so far this year, about 80 long-tail boats in Krabi that were modified by adding roofs are being called in. The Krabi Marine Office made the announcement after three long-tail boats capsized in the last two months. The roofs make the boats less stable in stronger winds. They also …

The story Long-tail boats with roofs pulled after several capsized as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I noticed these for the first time when we were over in December and rented this one.

They are a good idea, some even have basic toilets fitted, but they will need stability testing. Longtail boats have limited freeboard as it is. Passengers unaware of the limitations of this type of craft could easily cause a boat to take on water and ultimately capsize.

24CEA4D9-DF0A-4F6D-9260-273F4B2A0D6A.jpeg

Those canopies look like they could make the boats unstable in windy conditions. Longtails are not inherently unstable though, I have scuba dived off of them, back in the days before the pier at Chalong they were used to ferry people and kit out to the dive boats, and I have seen them plodding along well offshore, fully loaded with people, in some pretty rough seas.